ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The State of ScoreHero
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CleverTangent wrote:
Rickles wrote:
[...] anyway, full opinions on the state of scorehero can be found in my Sig pic. feel free to comment. (or join the slow clap that sprung up... )

I've read this, and I'm a bit offended that you've generalized everything that I said as a "bawwww", but fine, I can't choose your words for you.

Also, I just now noticed that this thread got moved. Just goes to show how observant I am. ^_^

Once again.. I'm inclined to agree. I actually very much hate the generalization of everything that CT has said here to "BAWWWW." I know I've been guilty of it in the past, but using the term "BAWWWWW" to summarize valid complaints from an intelligent source has got to be one of the most annoying things ScoreHero likes to do. Your points are valid and I agree with both CT AND Rickles, but I don't see ANY purpose in insulting CT's thread or cause. Like Silverswift said some odd pages ago, why do we need to keep warring on each other? Jesus Christ, we all just want SH to continue to be awesome, so I don't really see why people are arguing over something we all agree on.

In all honesty, I would have had nothing but nice things to say about your post, Rickles, but that BAWWWW at the end frankly undoes all of the credibility you once had. Perhaps there is a way to phrase it so you can maintain respect for your fellow SHers, but its your choice.

My previous post was not implying that the internet has CAUSED suicides, racism, sexism, etc. You guys are missing the point of what I said. What I'm trying to explain is the fact that, to you, I may just be numbers and letters behind a computer screen, but I am in fact a real person, as is each of us.

The tendency, though, is to forget that and treat each other like machines, seeing as how that's all we're "technically" in contact with at the moment. The internet isn't the cause, it's the mask. The people are still the cause of this crap, but they like to blame it ON the internet.

I don't take everything seriously that is said on the internet, I'd be insane by now if I did. Using youtube was a terrible example on your part, toymachine, seeing as how it's one of the worst cesspools for stupidity out there. Does Scorehero have to be like youtube? That's the question we need to be asking ourselves, not "stop taking it so seriously and lighten up." You see, the mods are in a tough spot. Either they ban way more people and become one of those elitist forums who don't tolerate anything, or the forums continue to degrade and the veterans become aggravated. There's no way they can please everyone, so what I request of everyone is to not dwell on everything that's wrong, but figure out how the hell we can make it better. So what if the forums degrade a bit with more people arriving? If everyone is working together to report the crap and point in the right direction, it will never get as bad as GameFAQs or elsewhere.

To whoever replied to me and said we should stop banning people.... JCirri didn't get the memo. You might want to talk to him about that. I'm sure you guys would love having 1st place be a fight for the most bogus score. :p

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Rickles  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the Baw... I meant nothing by it. Actually is was simply a tribute to BJW's thread ages ago. I didn't think you guys would take it that way. I meant no insult, offense, or even reference to clevertangent(or people with similar feelings) and i will be removing it.

Sorry CT, it was by no means intended that way, and i regret writing it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there is a direct relationship between

1) forum activity
2) the SH community's attitude
3) these types of threads (no disrespect to the OP, I agree to an extent)

and the length of time since the release of the last GH game and the difficulty level of said game.

Seriously, the activity in this place is fairly cyclic in nature. Although it will never be the place it was when it first started, the general activity/feelings in the forums are fairly dependent upon which game everyone is working on.

For instance, when GH3 came out there was SO much activity it wasn't even funny. People were stupid, yes, but there was also alot of community bonding because 'we' were trying to get a community FC of the game. This was led by the big name players who generated a lot of activity by FCing INSANE songs. Simultaneously, people were competing to finish up/get 1st overall in GH2. All of this created an enormous influx of generally good forum activity. People were getting excited to see which FC was going to happen next, and you generally didn't read about people bawwing at SH (although I must confess that some of the 'help me plox' threads were irritating as hell). After GH3 and GH2 were done, there was nothing to do until WT came out.

Well, needless to say, when WT came out it was a disappointment to the big name players and it went down (FC wise) very quickly. The difficulty of the game was pretty pathetic, and as such the activity generated from the game died off fairly soon (as in a couple weeks ago). It is very obvious that the activity generated by WT pales into comparison of the activity that GH3 generated. Why? Because, to the dismay of some, it was very hard. This allowed GH3 to keep activity in the forums high, competition high, and the general community spirit was very upbeat (i.e. guides, the insane top players still competing like crazy, SP discussions, game mechanics... you know, the juicy stuff).

That's just the nature of SH. GH games are the driving engine behind much of the discussion. Without them, this forum would basically die. I know that this post may be a jumbled mess but I just wanted to convey the main point. I could have written much more, but I'm pretty sure that would have stopped a lot of people from reading it (it is the internet, after all). Anyway, just my opinion on the matter of community spirit and activity. I can only hope GH metallica will somewhat rectify our current situation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally prefer hearing (more) imput from moderators. It's great that we're able to come up with so many plausible solutions, but it's ultimately up to the mods whether they want to impliment them or not, as they easily have and can quickly make the greatest impact on this community.

Do you guys generally like where we're going with this? Do you think that we have somewhat distorted views on moderation? I personally think this thread is an awesome step in the right direction (assuming we all stay focused on the ultimate goal; how to better Scorehero), but discussion is fairly useless without any action, or at least imput.
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheThirdDay wrote:
While this is true, it's the general consensus that most people who have been PR'ed deserve it, even though it is quite often not true. Maybe they deserved it at one point, but have since shaped up (I'm thinking of Silly right now, who has become a pretty good poster in my eyes, and has recently had his rank restored (EDIT: Lol he posted right after me.).). Just remember there's always a chance to get your status restored.

You're right; I'm sorry I "painted you all with the same brush", as Silly put it. Especially because you're one of my favorite members here and you're a twice-rockered. Now I feel bad... Of course, I was referring to rockers in general, the people that are constantly +1ing and making dumb posts, not the one-time mistake people that are better now.

TheThirdDay wrote:
And in any case I don't believe you should pay the least bit attention to rank, I never have. Getting PR'ed early on in my SH career, I quickly shaped up, but of course, still held my perma-rank. I knew that at this point I was at least a decent poster, meaning there had to be others like me. I haven't payed one bit of attention to Rock Rank since. I get to recognize all of the semi-regular users and determine my own opinions of them. There are quite a few Free Birds I know of that I respect as posters far less then a few rockers I know (Don't worry, Drew, I'm not talking about you. ).

I suppose that makes sense. Quality over quantity, and again, not every rocker deserved it anyways.

Oh, and sorry for getting to your post so late, I didn't see it there.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
tidus  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The State of ScoreHero Reply with quote

Nice post 'round there, CT. I could witness all you described, and subsequently agree. Thought I would mention about a plague I'm witnessing recently. YT/GF-ish rants on DLC threads, especially the RB ones, rants these which are causing Berserk status on me. However, I'm like Graf. I'm sorry, but...

CleverTangent wrote:
2) Posts and threads in the accomplishment forum receive more posts and attention than threads in other forums. I believe that the accomplishments forum is out of control; people artificially inflate their post counts by simply congratulating every person who creates a thread; the thread creator is encouraged by this type of post, and updates more often, hoping to attract more people, and they post in other people's accomplishment threads, and the cycle continues. While I have nothing wrong with making friends and posting in each other's threads, I don't see why people post so much in the accomplishments forum. With regards to the "big" or "famous" players, a majority of the posts in their threads are "Wow!", or "You're awesome, do (song name) next!" posts, and really are pointless. The result is an atmosphere of back-patting and tit-for-tat posting in accomplishment threads which is largely pointless.

...as an Accomplishments Forum frequenter, I cannot consent to this. Yes, posting tiny stuff like "Good job!", "Congrats!", etc, and going away doesn't make any point and is just as good a +1 on the post count. But I do hope you're not including those who put a feeling while posting something to encourage that lonely player. I made virtually *all* of my SH friends on the Accs. Forum. And I'm pretty sure I tried to be kind not only through posting on my friends' threads, but through some things outside SH. I really can't afford to waste my time on SH trying to get friends via, like, General Chat. At most of my visits, most of the threads I caught on the 1st page are pure "BAWWW-ing" sacks of shit, and I don't get liking on these kind of threads. Helping people to keep going strong with their milestones (after selecting these people decently, of course) on the Accs. Forum is not only better for me, but a safer way to enjoy the forums, as I'm free from any type of bashing for some sort of opinion, even if I assume it's not bad-intentioned.

In my opinion, while not being one of the plastic guitar virtuosos whose threads get thousands of replies, getting kind replies on my thread DOES make a difference for me. Most of the overlooked players get encouraged with these replies, and who said they would go only for more attention? Well, encouraged players play GH/RB more often, and consequently feed the primary point of Scorehero: posting scores on the goddamn leaderboards! >____>

And I do like posting on underrated players' threads. Mine itself hasn't THAT ammount of posts, but at least 95% of them are from my friends. I post regularly on their threads, and this doesn't mean posting on every thread which appears, if I'm not wrong. And, if it weren't for these friends, I wouldn't even frequent this site, actually, my favorite, BY FAR.

Although there's the negative side on the Accs. Forum, with blatant elitism, flooding of replies, etc., the positive side of that place DOES need to be considered.

These are my two cents.

| 57 RB1 on-disk FC's, plus 4 RB Vox FGFC's. No way I don't feel accomplished! =)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: TidusKamikaze
ArcticPhoenix  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I haven't been here for a very long time (though I did lurk for awhile before posting), I really don't see how this forum is degrading in quality. The fact that SH has 300k+ members and still remains (mostly) civil compared to other parts of the 'net is a huge accomplishment alone. With a forum a large as this of course there's going to be a lot of crap coming up every now and then.

My theory is that the longer someone stays on a forum, the more things start to get to them. Even minor offenses start to annoy everyone when they never did before. Not to mention many of you have seen SH change throughout the years.

Even though cracking down on mods can help, they can only do so much. Sure standard users can't lock threads or ban/perma-rocker people, but if everyone sits around and complains about SH's current state, then it will degrade.

I also think everyone should relax. There's so much tension everywhere, and whenever people are on edge it makes arguments worse. I'm not saying we should lighten up on rules and be stupid, but there's this feeling of anxiety on SH that I can't explain. Maybe that's what's going on with this forum. People are being negative and making it worse. Everyone just seems so unhappy lately.

I think it would be a good idea to make a sticky thread where everyone can post ideas on how to improve SH for everyone. Just general stuff on improvements without being negative.

Of course I could be percieving things wrong, but these are just my thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: Brosephina2930
CleverTangent  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickles wrote:
Sorry about the Baw... I meant nothing by it. Actually is was simply a tribute to BJW's thread ages ago. I didn't think you guys would take it that way. I meant no insult, offense, or even reference to clevertangent(or people with similar feelings) and i will be removing it.

Sorry CT, it was by no means intended that way, and i regret writing it.

No worries... 'tis a good counter rant you wrote there. I haven't read bjw's thread since I posted in it (at least, I think I did...), so I can see why I didn't get your "baw" reference.

tidus wrote:

Although there's the negative side on the Accs. Forum, with blatant elitism, flooding of replies, etc., the positive side of that place DOES need to be considered.

Yeah, I didn't consider that side of ***** at all when I first wrote up this thread. I've changed my mind a bit from what I wrote in the OP based on the responses to this thread.
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean bro

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
suhdude024  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
what do you mean bro

epic bump 12 years later
Rikuthemaster  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am concerned with the current state of Scorehero, to be honest.

Did somebody say [Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: TTParadigm PSN Name: TTParadigm
AdamHero  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rikuthemaster wrote:
i am concerned with the current state of Scorehero, to be honest.

Nah we good, I wouldn't worry about it

4th ever DWDTG FC on November 27, 2010.
[2:32:10 PM] Alex (MoosieHD): Honestly spamming adds difficulty
[2:32:10 PM] Alex (MoosieHD): Methods are way easier
LocalH  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, search and user posts are broken past one page. That's the biggest bug I know of on the forum right now.

Alakaiser sez: POST BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY, NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING.
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't get email notifications for replies in threads I've posted in
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
JohnnyGrey  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody posts because SH is dead.
SH is dead because nobody posts.

At least this current resurgence so far has a bit more promise than the initial quarantine spike. Lots of people who were "getting back into it" never posted again after that lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: