ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Drums + Me = Fitness?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormrider2112  

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidshek wrote:
Stormrider2112 wrote:
Intense rock drumming burns about 4-600 calories an hour. If you play on hard/expert for about 2 hours, that's a hell of a workout.

Intense rock drumming involves a lot more movement than RB/GH drumming does. I doubt the numbers equate.
Probably not so much for your chest and shoulder muscles (less reaching), but a lot of fast patterns are good for getting your heart and blood pumping

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what type of drumming. Fast metalcore or hard rock, probably. But only if you so it extensively and frequently.

And yeah, forearms, they get huge.
[ ] Beat the Devil on Expert
[x] FC one song on Hard
[X] FC one song on Expert
[ ] FC five songs on Hard
[ ] FC five songs on Expert

I don't post scores very often... bear with me.
</div>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LarsUmulat
mexicanobrazil  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you try to drumming for all the day for some days, you should stay sharp in no time. But there's some kind of songs that you don't help,like Heartbreaker or a slow music. If you try something like any music from Mettalica or Are You Go on My Way(3 or 4 times should work), helps a lot

Depending on song,and how do you play it...however, it came later some pains that...well,I don't want to mention it
richjohnny  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not about what songs you drum, its about how long you drum for.

When I first got Rock Band, I drummed for 4 hours straight (on medium because expert was lolhard). I went crazy when the fillers came around, especially at the big rock ending.

My arms were killing me right after that. I couldn't move them without being in extreme pain.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Big JAG 2004 PSN Name: BigJAG2004 Wii Friend Code: 2005404297973581 ICQ Number
Macaron11  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock Band helps, but doesn't really make you lose a lot.

During the summer, I drummed a shitload. It was my #1 activity during the summer. I was sort of not in shape towards the end of school and beginning of summer. I saw a friend for the first time on the first day of school I saw him. The first words out of his mouth were, "Dude, you lost a lot of weight! What did you do?" I thought for a second, smiled, and said, "Rock Band!" and gave a thumbs up. It got me fit, but now I'm DDRing a lot. My endurance is getting higher every day.

tl;dr- Drumming helps you build endurance and lose a bit of weight. Use it to get into bigger and more demanding activities, like DDR or actual running, etc.
Fun498  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it strange that I can run a mile or so without getting very tired, but I play a tier and I run to get some iced tea? I am alsways so tired after drumming and am in shape. I don't hit the pads like a crazy pop idiot either, I play pretty accurately. My only guess is that since I can hit the pads aone without the game as practice pads or in the music studio forever and not get tired, is concentrating hard on the T.V.

I know that sounds wierd, but concentrating on the T.V. with blasting headphones while drumming gets me tired. I would like to be able to play more without losing my concentration. it's not as much of a tired like you get when you run where you lack the energy to run any further, it is more the type of tired when you need to go to bed. Anyone else get like this?

Also, I play reeltar and not real drums, but I am pretty good at the music studio and Expert+. I would buy Ions if I had a lot of money and wasn't learning reeltar already because I think that I would make a pretty good drummer, i just prefer guitar. Anyway, I have never played on a real kit if that makes a difference.
n4sc4r  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run between 3-8 miles per day, and can honestly say I sweat as much after a couple hours of expert drumming as I do during and after a run this time of year. Of course this may be biased as my room is always quite hot. Still, I think that examples such as this prove that drumming can be good for losing weight. As for actual fitness, I'm not really sure.
nickyboy909  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I play drums I'm usually sweating like crazy after just a few songs lol
It means you are pushing your body and therefore it is a great work out. It will help your cardio as said before, your arm strength and of course: endurance!

TheAftershock  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lost like half a stone through sweat, I sweat when waiting for a bus in winter in a shirt though. So yeah..
sfal  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, Overkill and Prisoner of Society.
richjohnny  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overkill is very tiring. Prisoner Of Society isn't, I can play that song on real drums as well, not tiring at all.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Big JAG 2004 PSN Name: BigJAG2004 Wii Friend Code: 2005404297973581 ICQ Number
radoaos  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try only drinking water when you play. Getting outside multiple times per day. Eating a well balanced diet... oh wait, thats just living a healthy lifestyle.

Also as a side note. Intense sex can burn up to aroun 600 cals per HALF hour! So I'd say if you really want to lose weight. Have a lot of sex.
Muckytears  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

although it wont directly help you get fit, if you play - especially if you play for fun as you can put all your energy into it, you will get stronger arms and legs (dont ask which muscles cos im not a boffin), and you get increased stamina etc so you can do other sports easier and for longer

NYwRiter94  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7518888.stm

If you get into it, yes, it is very good for your health.

Aka why we need a drum set built that we can simply wail on and it won't break/be unresponsive. Harmonix and Red Octane care about our health, don't they?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in january of 09' I could do 50 reps totel with 15 LB dumbells, now I do 100 a day plus the druming, thats a lot of extra reps...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: knightrocker33
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: