Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
We know things...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trofl  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: We know things... Reply with quote

So, instead of losing everyone in threads about GH, I thought a thread in Gen. Chat would be good to compare sizes... of brains. Or something... I guess post your major/degrees/what you want to learn here. And random fun bits of what you know (JHetfield, JCirri, I'm looking at you).

I'm majoring in meteorology, which is what I've wanted to do pretty much all my life, although not really TV meteorology. And I also like math and physics, and so I'm picking up minors in those, which is good cause they're the bases of meteorology

JHetfield, Diff. Eq. was my favorite math course thus far (although Linear Alg. is a close second)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: wxtrofl
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm double majoring in Film Studies and French at Ohio State, so maybe I'll get a job one day. I doubt it, though. I also like Philosophy and will probably get a minor in it since I've almost taken enough classes for one. I hope to get a doctorate in film and become a professor.

I like films of the 70s and 90s, as well as cheesy action movies from any time period (Bloodsport, Escape From New York, etc.). My favorite movie is The Big Lebowski and one day I would like to teach a class on its symbolism / Coen Brothers' symbolism flair.

By the way, trofl, I've always thought meteorology seemed really interesting. That's cool that you're majoring in it.

"Power Surge," "Funk You," "Grindsaw Groove," and "DisorderlyConduct"
- all charted by dspoonrt

JHetfield0816  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Differential equations was my favorite math course too! Especially solving non-homogenous systems and finding the general solutions to them!

Well, anyway...my majors were geosciences and atmospheric science, and I finished my undergraduate work this year. My minor was in Japanese language. I got accepted into the Atmospheric Sciences graduate program at University of California at Davis, and am really interested in modelling thermohaline circulation and forcings on it using atmospheric-oceanic coupled models. I've done an independent research project on that already, so I'm hoping to build from there. But I'm going to work in Japan for at least a year first, so I deferred my acceptance.

Hey trofl, by the way, what's been your favorite meteorology course so far, and what aspect of it interests you most? Modelling definitely counts too! Mr. Green

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
Anthony  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know everything.

Bow to me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've studied Information Retrieval and Business Environment Analyses for three years. After that I studied Micro- and Macroeconomics, Financial and Management Accounting and Marketing Management
Riz  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm self-educated (read: highschool drop-out -- easily one of the best decisions I ever made, but I don't recommend it for everyone), and I've been employed for the last 20-some-odd years in the computing industry in one fashion or another: hardware tech, Unix systems administration and C programming trainer, C/C++/perl programmer, SQL database designer and admin, network designer and operations manager for a medium sized ISP (~500 dail-up ports, back in the old days of dial-up), systems admin, etc.

Oh, and way back in my youth, I baked bagels. :P

Riz.
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riz wrote:
Oh, and way back in my youth, I baked bagels. :P

Well, as long as you make bagels I suppose any decision you make is OK.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JHetfield0816 wrote:
Hey trofl, by the way, what's been your favorite meteorology course so far, and what aspect of it interests you most? Modelling definitely counts too! Mr. Green

Haven't had much yet... starting into the real fun stuff next semester (Atmo. Phys. I), but both of the non gen. ed. courses I've taken so far, General Meteorology (where we did some basic physics, dynamnics, and synoptic stuff) and Computational Meteorology (basic Fortran 90) were fun.

I think right now I'm interested in everything that isn't broadcast or forecasting, which isn't good because I need to come up with a unique topic for my senior research project that I'll be probably be slaving over next summer. There is a modeling possibility to it as the prof. here I'm really close with is trying to get the source of the model (can't remember its exact name right now) that the Convective Storm Matrix gets its data from. He would like to see some student do some work with it for their project someday, and since I'm kind of the programming superstar of the current undergrads, he's really pushing me to work with it. I'll see, I've got a couple of ideas.

I would have totally gotten at least a minor in Japanese too if they offered it here I actually already have 1st year credit from the U of MN because I took it in high school, with our senior year being taught at the college level through some program they have. (Hence the whole "I wouldn't eat anything that sounds like 'taco' in Japan" in that one thread, unless you like eating that kind of stuff.)

In ODE, I really liked Laplace transforms and systems of linear equations. And now I'm taking partial diff. eq. next semester since lots of grad schools like that and it leaves me with only needing abstract alg. for the minor. I actually wish I had more space in my schedule to take more theoretical math courses
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: wxtrofl
cat  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a typical metaller. I know sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll!
MLafer  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my BS in electrical engineering in 2005.

Some people would probably consider me a know-it-all. I played quiz bowl in college on the A team for the University of Michigan, which is one of the best teams in the country.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im actually meant to be a webpage designer but im also qualified to be an administrator, accountant and receptionist?

i can also further my qualifications in law and journalism, but im waiting to pass my driving test (which should be next week) so I can start my career as a computer technician
cat  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few IT qualifications but work in Logistics as my town is like central to the UK and near the 2 major motorways.
JHetfield0816  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trofl wrote:

I would have totally gotten at least a minor in Japanese too if they offered it here I actually already have 1st year credit from the U of MN because I took it in high school, with our senior year being taught at the college level through some program they have. (Hence the whole "I wouldn't eat anything that sounds like 'taco' in Japan" in that one thread, unless you like eating that kind of stuff.)

I really like tako, actually...you should try takoyaki sometime! とてもおいしいよ!いつか食べてみて!

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genga wrote:
...im waiting to pass my driving test (which should be next week)...

You know, most people have a driver's license before a career...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HylianHero wrote:
Genga wrote:
...im waiting to pass my driving test (which should be next week)...

You know, most people have a driver's license before a career...

well im still trying to get mine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: