ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Need new drum sticks, REAL DRUM STICKS. Suggestions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vbman213  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Need new drum sticks, REAL DRUM STICKS. Suggestions? Reply with quote

I've ordered my GWM kit for my GHWT set and now I need some new drum sticks. I was using the crappy stock sticks that come with GHWT, which suck. What brand, what size (I heard 5A is a good size), etc...
Kirbah  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two sticks that are probably used the most are 5As or 7As, but it really all depends on preference. If you have a local music store, go there and test out the sticks to see which ones are best for you.
vbman213  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any particular brand you recommend?
davidshek  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vbman213 wrote:
Any particular brand you recommend?

That's all going to come down to personal preference. I can recommend my favorites, Zildjian Dip 5A with nylon tip, but you might find that they are completely unsuitable to your hands.

You really need to get over to a music store and try out some different ones. Don't be afraid to ask for like 10 different sticks, that's what they're there for.

But for use with the GWM drums, definitely get something with nylon tips to help prolong the life of the mesh.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help ;)

I guess I'm off to my local music store tomorrow... How much $$$ are we talking here?
adam12343210  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vbman213 wrote:
Thanks for the help ;)

I guess I'm off to my local music store tomorrow... How much $$$ are we talking here?

Usually no more than $15, though the less frills the stick has (nylon tip, grip, etc.) the less it'll be.

Check out my band: http://www.youtube.com/user/EverydayGrindMusic
ManOfMrE  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never played drums on any of the games, but Vic Firth 7A Nylon Tips are my favorite sticks in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidshek wrote:
That's all going to come down to personal preference. I can recommend my favorites, Zildjian Dip 5A with nylon tip, but you might find that they are completely unsuitable to your hands.

I love my purple Zildjian Dips

Definitely go for a 5A or 7A, I personally like Vic Firth 5A's. I'm not a fan of nylon tips though, does anyone really think that nylon tips would be better for the drum pad?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glock wrote:
Definitely go for a 5A or 7A, I personally like Vic Firth 5A's. I'm not a fan of nylon tips though, does anyone really think that nylon tips would be better for the drum pad?

Absolutely. Wood tips have a tendency to chip and splinter, and a chipped wood tip can easily rip the mesh on a GWM pad. Nylon tips don't have that issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I use Vic Firth 5A's for real drums, but it's down to preference a lot. Test out all kinds of different sizes.

What's wrong with the stock ones? :P I use them for GH:WT because they're lighter and less likely to damage the kit.
Glock  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidshek wrote:
Absolutely. Wood tips have a tendency to chip and splinter, and a chipped wood tip can easily rip the mesh on a GWM pad. Nylon tips don't have that issue.

Yeah but that only happens from hitting cymbals or the edge of a drum, and you don't have to worry about any of that if you are just using them for the GHWT kit. Yes if it splinters it would be bad for the head, but the wood itself I don't think is any worse for it than nylon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glock wrote:
Yeah but that only happens from hitting cymbals or the edge of a drum, and you don't have to worry about any of that if you are just using them for the GHWT kit. Yes if it splinters it would be bad for the head, but the wood itself I don't think is any worse for it than nylon.

He wasn't asking about the GH:WT kit. He said in the very first post that he has ordered the GWM drums. And on those pads, there are metal screws that stick up beyond the top of the drum's rim.

Pic:
http://www.goodwoodmods.com/products/images/mesh_drumhead_big.jpg

Hitting those with a wood-tipped stick WILL chip the wood.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidshek wrote:
He wasn't asking about the GH:WT kit. He said in the very first post that he has ordered the GWM drums. And on those pads, there are metal screws that stick up beyond the top of the drum's rim.

Pic:
http://www.goodwoodmods.com/products/images/mesh_drumhead_big.jpg

Hitting those with a wood-tipped stick WILL chip the wood.

Oh haha I guess I was asking for my own purpose rather than the OP's . Sorry for the mix-up there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one problem with big sticks = harder hitting = broken plastic drums... ya I love my 5Bs on my real kit, but when its GH time I still use those crappy GH sticks cuz they are smaller and lighter. Being versitale with different sticks sizes is good thing really..
TheZ116  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally love my Vic Firth Dave Weckl Signature 5As, they're nylon, and on my GWMs, they are still comfortable.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: sandiegodrummer PSN Name: thez116
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: