Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The pokemon Comatose theory?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdylan13  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to react to how epic of an essay that was.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
Qarx  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdylan13 wrote:
I don't know how to react to how epic of an essay that was.

Yeah. It sure blew my mind.

It's overanalysis at its finest. It's really well thought out, and made a lot of sense to me, or at the time I'm writing it it did >_>.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
theEVILtwin.  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...I've watched Pokemon for years and all I could remember thinking as I got older was the standard questions such as, 'How can a mother let her 12 year old boy go off on adventures all on his own?', 'Why doesn't Ash ever age?', 'Why can't he see through Team Rocket's disguises?' and so forth. I thought that this would just be a whole bunch of nonsense, but after reading the whole thing and then rereading it again, it makes a lot of sense. I've always wondered why the Pokemon started looking less and less like real animals as the series went on (but of course, the writers probably were running out of animals to model new Pokemon after), and why they felt the need to replace the female member of the trio every couple of seasons. Of course the real reason isn't that deep, but as a person interested in psychology and the way the mind works, this was an interesting and entertaining read...I wonder what other cartoons could be interpreted like this?
microgamer2vs2  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know exactly when he was struck by lightning? Chaosxreigns said it was when he was being chased by a flock of Spearows, but that was the first episode, so arguing that the series changed pace after this event isn't valid since there wasn't any kind of pace established. So can anyone think of another time Ash was struck by lightning somewhere a little more episodes into the series?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: aggrogahu
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought he died in the first episode and Ho-Oh revived him.

But I was reading this the other night. It's a tad depressing, but still a good read.
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:
Right, but if you had the chocolate bar in your heart all along, no one would need to work. Did consider that?

If you have a chocolate bar in your heart I suggest seeking medical attention.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: UmbraPie Wii Friend Code: 0518680564637417
xxtimetokillxx  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: XxTimetoKillxX PSN Name: XxTimetokillxX
GuitarGeek08  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxtimetokillxx wrote:
What?

I think what you really meant to say was inb4ChrisVance.

I Don't Suck at GH
Xpertlefty13 quoting me in his Acc Thread wrote:
Honestly, thank you

This is the first real, well thought-out explanation I've seen
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rickles  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish pokemon was that well thought out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..................................................................................................................

Was that a WALL of text just about pokemon?!?!?!?!?!

I dont know what to say

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: BiohazardABZ Wii Friend Code: 266453013085
BreakingBenjamin  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... Great read. That made me think about a lot of different aspects of the old and new episodes of pokemon. I wonder if Giovanni was really Ash's father?

microgamer2vs2 wrote:
Anyone know exactly when he was struck by lightning? Chaosxreigns said it was when he was being chased by a flock of Spearows, but that was the first episode, so arguing that the series changed pace after this event isn't valid since there wasn't any kind of pace established. So can anyone think of another time Ash was struck by lightning somewhere a little more episodes into the series?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knDPIm-em14

Even though this isn't in the video thread, it's helping to answer the first part of your question. A tear almost dripped down my face as I watched that too...
Rawrspoon  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole theory captivated me until the part where it said that he realized emerging from his coma would cause brain damage and thus why he tried to prevent himself from figuring out that his world is imaginary.
microgamer2vs2  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@BreakingBenjamin: yeah, that clip is from episode one. I mentioned in my post that the problem with that event happening at the beginning of the series is that you can't say "Did one ever know the reason why the pacing and story development change after Ash was hit by lightning in the beginning episodes" if Ash was hit by lightning in the very first episode. How can you say there's a change in pacing and development when there was only one episode prior to the change?

That's why I'm wondering if there's any other instance in which Ash gets hit by lightning.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: aggrogahu
sedron  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredvonKarma wrote:
sedron wrote:
It's a cool theory, but an implausible one.
The world of literary interpretation [yes, that's what this is] is immune to author intent. It is quite obvious that the writers didn't intentionally do this (bit heavy for a children's cartoon), but the theory works.

This was an amazing read. I'll probably wind up reading this over again to pick up on anything I might have missed.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, since I learned about literary interpretation last school year but failed miserably at the subject, but are there not schools of literary interpretation based on the very idea of author intent? I think this theory is very dependent on which school of interpretation is used, as it's pretty much flat-out impossible if we take into account the author's intentions.

machchunk wrote:
sedron wrote:
Is it really believable that the writing staff wrote up season upon season of repetitive "catching-them-all" with the hopes of someday saying "Heh, screw you all who actually watched this show through! It was all a dream?"

SMB2.

Super Mario Bros 2? That can't be right, can it? That's what I think of when I see that abbreviation, and I'm pretty certain there's never been a long-running animated series by the name of "Super Mario Bros 2," that ended with the it-was-all-a-dream cliche'.

Microgamer2vs2 wrote:
@BreakingBenjamin: yeah, that clip is from episode one. I mentioned in my post that the problem with that event happening at the beginning of the series is that you can't say "Did one ever know the reason why the pacing and story development change after Ash was hit by lightning in the beginning episodes" if Ash was hit by lightning in the very first episode. How can you say there's a change in pacing and development when there was only one episode prior to the change?

That's why I'm wondering if there's any other instance in which Ash gets hit by lightning.

Ash gets hit by lightning a whole bunch of times, but, as stated in the OP, it's moreso for comic relief in later episodes. The first episode seems to be the instance the theory is based on. Assuming that's the case, compare the first episode to the majority of episodes afterwards. It seems different overall than the rest of them. It has more struggle, conflict and meaning than many proceeding episodes. In a way, even though no pace was set yet, one sees the difference in story-telling after the event. It seems to be a poor choice of words on the author's part, though.
microgamer2vs2  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sedron wrote:
machchunk wrote:
SMB2.

Super Mario Bros 2? That can't be right, can it? That's what I think of when I see that abbreviation, and I'm pretty certain there's never been a long-running animated series by the name of "Super Mario Bros 2," that ended with the it-was-all-a-dream cliche'.
Actually, that's exactly what he's referring to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPXtir65p40 Although it's not an anime.

EDIT: I realize your post might've been sarcastic, but since this is Gen Chat we can't delete posts :/ maybe I'll think of something else to put here.
sedron  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

microgamer2vs2 wrote:
Actually, that's exactly what he's referring to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPXtir65p40 Although it's not an anime.

EDIT: I realize your post might've been sarcastic, but since this is Gen Chat we can't delete posts :/ maybe I'll think of something else to put here.

I wasn't being sarcastic; I was genuinely confused. I've never played SMB2 through and didn't know it ended that way, although that ending might be due to the game being a redone version of a completely different Japanese game for sale in America in the stead of the Lost Levels. And no, it does not fit the criteria for being a show, which is moreso what I was aiming for. Playing a game through to find out "it was all a dream," can range from mildly annoying to frustrating, but for a show that's ran as long as Poke'mon to end that way would piss-off a lot of people, I'd imagine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: