Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Reggae/Rocksteady/Ska/Dub
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phAde  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reggae/Rocksteady/Ska/Dub Reply with quote

Since there are already threads on hardcore and metal, I thought I'd make one on reggae, dub, ska, and rocksteady. I know some third wave ska bands are influenced by punk and if you want to talk about that, that is OK. Just don't start talking about punk as in The Clash to The Exploited.

Are any fellow SH users into any of the aforementioned? I for one enjoy most forms ska. I really enjoy 1st wave and 3rd wave. The second wave such as Madness and The Selecters I enjoy, but I'd rather listen to the other two waves. My favorite early ska/reggae has to be Peter Tosh, Desmond Dekker, Bob Marley (duh) and Lee "Scratch" Perry. Some third wave ska bands that I like include Big D and the Kids Table, The Aquabats, Operation Ivy, Skankin' Pickle, and a little bit of Reel Big Fish.

What bands are SH into?
I'll do my loving in the winter

cobainage1994  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Sublime and Bob Marley. If I am down in the dumps, or something is irritating me, put on 3 little birds from Bob, and nothing could go wrong.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RandyRhoads801
petererk  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sublime ftw.
00:57 pkovach2 : Whats a "penis"?
00:57 jnukes2-1 : i'll show you tomorrow

Ewwww....

My Customs
phAde  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petererk wrote:
Sublime ftw.

Meh, I enjoy Sublime in small doses. They were a decent band, but I find that they are overrated. Just because a member dies doesn't mean you have to get undeserved recognition. I'm not trying to hate on them at all. I enjoy their music, but they are given a little too much credit. It's always fun to sing Caress Me Down in front of my spanish friends though.

"Me gusta mi reggae,
Me gusta punk rock,
Pero la cosa que me gusta mas es panochita"

Best part in the whole song.

Has anyone every heard of Pepper or The Supervillains? I recently saw The Supervillains in concert (along with The English Beat and Reel Big Fish) and they were really good live. If you're a fan of The Supervillains then you will like Pepper.

cobainage1994  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phAde wrote:

Has anyone every heard of Pepper or The Supervillains? I recently saw The Supervillains in concert (along with The English Beat and Reel Big Fish) and they were really good live. If you're a fan of The Supervillains then you will like Pepper.

Pepper was in the reggae track pack for GHWT, and i enjoyed all the songs of the pack.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RandyRhoads801
phAde  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobainage1994 wrote:
phAde wrote:

Pepper was in the reggae track pack for GHWT, and i enjoyed all the songs of the pack.

Ah, I didn't know that. I haven't kept up with GH since GH3. =[

On the more punk side of ska, does anyone listen to Choking Victim? Or any of the Crack Rock Steady bands like Morning Glory, INDK, and No Cash? I really enjoy Choking Victim's "No Gods, No Managers" album. =D

Jahmon520  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phAde wrote:

Pepper is pretty awesome. Haven't heard much off of Pink Crustaceans and Good Vibrations (though that is an awesome name), but In With the Old and No Shame have more than a few good songs. And Supervillians...well, Grow Yer Own is freakin' good, no two ways about it.

I used to be into 3rd wave, but a few poor quality Catch-22 recordings threw me out of the genre for good. I've been looking to get into the more reggae side of the music; can anyone recommend a starting album from Slightly Stoopid or another band in that vein?
phAde  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jahmon520 wrote:

Pepper is pretty awesome. Haven't heard much off of Pink Crustaceans and Good Vibrations (though that is an awesome name), but In With the Old and No Shame have more than a few good songs. And Supervillians...well, Grow Yer Own is freakin' good, no two ways about it.

I used to be into 3rd wave, but a few poor quality Catch-22 recordings threw me out of the genre for good. I've been looking to get into the more reggae side of the music; can anyone recommend a starting album from Slightly Stoopid or another band in that vein?

Awww. You should try to get back into third wave ska. It's just fun music. As for the reggae part, Slightly Stoopid's album "Everything You Need" is really nice. The songs "Wisemen" and "Collie Man" are really really awesome. You could check out The Expendables. The song "Fight the Feeling" off of Open Container is nice. Yeah, the Supervillains are really good. If you're into the dub part you could try Long Beach Dub All Stars. They are what was left after Sublime broke up.

Venim619  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true, me gusta me reggae, but there's a huge difference between the old reggae and the newer reggae. Same drum beat and guitar sounds, but there's a giant gap between them that I just can't place. But I am a fan of Peter Tosh and Bob Marley, etc. But then there's also all the 90's+ bands like Sublime, Slightly Stoopid, SOME No Doubt which are also easy to chill to.

I've never really been into ska though, but I'd love to listen to more of it. I remember my brother and sister being pretty into the Aquabats and they claimed they were ska at the time. Any other recommendations to start me off?
phAde  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venim619 wrote:
It's true, me gusta me reggae, but there's a huge difference between the old reggae and the newer reggae. Same drum beat and guitar sounds, but there's a giant gap between them that I just can't place. But I am a fan of Peter Tosh and Bob Marley, etc. But then there's also all the 90's+ bands like Sublime, Slightly Stoopid, SOME No Doubt which are also easy to chill to.

I've never really been into ska though, but I'd love to listen to more of it. I remember my brother and sister being pretty into the Aquabats and they claimed they were ska at the time. Any other recommendations to start me off?

Yeah there is a big difference but I enjoy it just the same.

Haha, I love the Aquabats. You should start off with their first album: The Return of the Aquabats. As for more third wave, you can check out Catch-22 (pre Streetlight Manifesto), Reel Big Fish, and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

pman5595  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUR HOUSE!
IN THE MIDDLE OF OUR STREET!
OUR HOUSE!
IN THE MIDDLE OF OUR STREET!

Like others said, I like bob marley, his music is just so happy and relaxing. I do like madness though

and are ssublime the people who do Santeria? if so I like that song too.

EDIT: Here are some songs people should listen to to get an idea of the genre

Reggae: One Love/People Get Ready by Bob Marley
Rocksteady: Rock Steady by Alton Ellis
Ska: Guns of Navarone by The Skatalites
Dub: King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown by Augustus Pablo

Proud Social Liberal. What are you? Post your result in your signature. Genius, genius, and genius.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
JTHomeslice  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reel Big Fish for the motherfucking win. I missed them when they came around a few weeks ago, but I'll catch them next time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sublime is hands down my favorite band. i love every song they've ever released. pepper is also the shit. kona town is one of the best white-boy reggae albums ever. the supervillains are also a good time. good horns, good bass and good beats. slightly stoopid is the 2nd best white boy reggae band, only to sublime. everything stoopid has released is key. acoustic roots is a near perfect acoustic cd, longest barrel ride is bomb as well. i could go on and on.
as for old ska, the specials and operation ivy are fucking bomb.
WVUMountaineers  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been a big fan, but I have been getting into ska a little bit lately. I'm planning on seeing Streetlight Manifesto in October. Anyone know what to expect from that?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: MitRialb
smokyprogg  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw The Aquabats and Rancid last summer and it was sexual. One of my friends got to see Reel Big Fish and Streetlight Manifesto, but I was broke so I couldn't. Apparently it was amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: