SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Reggae/Rocksteady/Ska/Dub
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phAde  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WVUMountaineers wrote:
Never been a big fan, but I have been getting into ska a little bit lately. I'm planning on seeing Streetlight Manifesto in October. Anyone know what to expect from that?

Ihaven't got to see Streetlight live, but a couple of my friends have and they said it was awesome. The energy and the music is amazing. All I can tell you is have fun and don't be afraid to get in the pit! =]
I'll do my loving in the winter

krisdaschwab912  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone goes to Warped Tour or just wants to look stuff up, look into Westbound Train. Those guys are really good.

Incidentally, I just missed seeing Streetlight Manifesto during Warped yesterday.
WVUMountaineers  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phAde wrote:
WVUMountaineers wrote:
Never been a big fan, but I have been getting into ska a little bit lately. I'm planning on seeing Streetlight Manifesto in October. Anyone know what to expect from that?

Ihaven't got to see Streetlight live, but a couple of my friends have and they said it was awesome. The energy and the music is amazing. All I can tell you is have fun and don't be afraid to get in the pit! =]

Oh, that won't be a problem for me. haha. Never has been
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: MitRialb
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTHomeslice wrote:
Reel Big Fish for the motherfucking win. I missed them when they came around a few weeks ago, but I'll catch them next time.

\m/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy a bit of dub now and again. I have some Lee Perry, King Tubby, Dub Syndicate, Easy Star Allstars (Dub Side Of The Moon is an amazing album) and then a bunch of random songs from different artsits like Scientist, King Jammy, Blue & Red, Sly & Robbie and others

Warnar wrote:
The elitists attack! Everybody run away!
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phAde wrote:
On the more punk side of ska, does anyone listen to Choking Victim? Or any of the Crack Rock Steady bands like Morning Glory, INDK, and No Cash? I really enjoy Choking Victim's "No Gods, No Managers" album. =D

Yes! I love Choking Victim, Leftover Crack, and all the Crack Rock Steady bands. I haven't been able to catch Choking Victim live since they've only been playing sporadically over the last 10 years and mostly in New York, but I have seen Leftover Crack live. They're a bit harder, but they play a ton of Choking Victim songs, so it's cool.

To contribute more to the tread, I dig quite a bit of third wave ska. I practically grew up on the stuff. My friends used to dress up in plaid suits and hats and go to shows. We were so cool back then.

"Power Surge," "Funk You," "Grindsaw Groove," and "DisorderlyConduct"
- all charted by dspoonrt

phAde  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dspoonrt wrote:
phAde wrote:
On the more punk side of ska, does anyone listen to Choking Victim? Or any of the Crack Rock Steady bands like Morning Glory, INDK, and No Cash? I really enjoy Choking Victim's "No Gods, No Managers" album. =D

Yes! I love Choking Victim, Leftover Crack, and all the Crack Rock Steady bands. I haven't been able to catch Choking Victim live since they've only been playing sporadically over the last 10 years and mostly in New York, but I have seen Leftover Crack live. They're a bit harder, but they play a ton of Choking Victim songs, so it's cool.

To contribute more to the tread, I dig quite a bit of third wave ska. I practically grew up on the stuff. My friends used to dress up in plaid suits and hats and go to shows. We were so cool back then.

I bet it was awesome to see LoC live. My favorite Choking Victim song has to be Fucked Reality or Born to Die, did they play either of those? Also, can you believe LoC is touring with The Exploited? I find that funny. But I'm going to stop the punk talk.

Haha, yeah. The whole psuedo-mod fashion. I dig that though. XD Usually they're fun and have good times. The drummer for the local Atlanta Ska-Punk band "The Bastard Suns" dresses like that and he is pretty cool. What kind of third wave are you into?

dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phAde wrote:
I bet it was awesome to see LoC live. My favorite Choking Victim song has to be Fucked Reality or Born to Die, did they play either of those? Also, can you believe LoC is touring with The Exploited? I find that funny. But I'm going to stop the punk talk.

Haha, yeah. The whole psuedo-mod fashion. I dig that though. XD Usually they're fun and have good times. The drummer for the local Atlanta Ska-Punk band "The Bastard Suns" dresses like that and he is pretty cool. What kind of third wave are you into?

I remember them playing Fucked Reality, 500 Channels, Infested, Fuck America, and Five Finger Discount. I'm sure they played Born to Die, but I can't really remember. It was about 6 years ago when I saw them with Anti-Flag and The Code in Pittsburgh.

I didn't want to re-hash any bands. I like old Less Than Jake, Big D and the Kids Table, Against All Authority, Skankin' Pickle, Aquabats, Reel Big Fish, Potshot, The Code, Catch 22. Oh, and I love the Voodoo Glow Skulls.

phAde  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dspoonrt wrote:

I remember them playing Fucked Reality, 500 Channels, Infested, Fuck America, and Five Finger Discount. I'm sure they played Born to Die, but I can't really remember. It was about 6 years ago when I saw them with Anti-Flag and The Code in Pittsburgh.

I didn't want to re-hash any bands. I like old Less Than Jake, Big D and the Kids Table, Against All Authority, Skankin' Pickle, Aquabats, Reel Big Fish, Potshot, The Code, Catch 22. Oh, and I love the Voodoo Glow Skulls.

I enjoy Less Than Jake but after awhile it runs together for me. I love Big D a lot. Their funny songwriting and in fun songs are cool. I laughed out loud the first time I heard Scenester. I've listened to a bit of AAA and I really like 1200 AM. I haven't heard of The Code or Potshot. What should I start out with?

Jahmon520  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTHomeslice wrote:
Reel Big Fish for the motherfucking win. I missed them when they came around a few weeks ago, but I'll catch them next time.

Not only is RBF one of the few ska bands that I ever really got into, they're also goddamned hilarious. I love their banter and skits, and they do a good job of incorporating that humour into their songs.
inkjt510  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phAde wrote:
WVUMountaineers wrote:

Streetlight live was nuts. Everyone knows every word to every song and the horn section is absolutely insane...definitely get in the pit, no question.
Psalm 104:14 : He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man
GH3 Goals: Enlightened Guitarist [ ] 13
FG5*: TTFAF, TWIE
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phAde wrote:
I enjoy Less Than Jake but after awhile it runs together for me. I love Big D a lot. Their funny songwriting and in fun songs are cool. I laughed out loud the first time I heard Scenester. I've listened to a bit of AAA and I really like 1200 AM. I haven't heard of The Code or Potshot. What should I start out with?

AAA is one of my favorite bands of all-time. Their song writing, vocals, and message just really appeal to me. I can't recommend them enough. Check out everything you can by them. Their split with The Criminals has some of their best songs on it. I suggest looking that up.

The Code always used to play "Unity" by Op Ivy live and they put on one hell of a live show. I think I saw them 4 times before they disbanded. They only put out one full length album called Alert, Aware, Involved, so that's a good place to start. "40 Hour Week," "Riot," and "Battle On" are great songs as an introduction. I think the whole album is up on YouTube if you search for it.

Potshot was a Japanese ska band that got put out on Asian Man Records, Mike Park's record label. I only have their first album, Pots and Shots, and it's excellent. I've liked everything I've heard by them. I guess I should look into tracking down the rest of their discography, too. There's a lot of live Potshot videos on Youtube, as well.

phAde  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dspoonrt wrote:

AAA is one of my favorite bands of all-time. Their song writing, vocals, and message just really appeal to me. I can't recommend them enough. Check out everything you can by them. Their split with The Criminals has some of their best songs on it. I suggest looking that up.

The Code always used to play "Unity" by Op Ivy live and they put on one hell of a live show. I think I saw them 4 times before they disbanded. They only put out one full length album called Alert, Aware, Involved, so that's a good place to start. "40 Hour Week," "Riot," and "Battle On" are great songs as an introduction. I think the whole album is up on YouTube if you search for it.

Potshot was a Japanese ska band that got put out on Asian Man Records, Mike Park's record label. I only have their first album, Pots and Shots, and it's excellent. I've liked everything I've heard by them. I guess I should look into tracking down the rest of their discography, too. There's a lot of live Potshot videos on Youtube, as well.

I really, really like the Code. I listened to the three you mentioned and those songs were fantastic. I'm going to get their album. Too bad they didn't make any more huh? The vocalist reminds me of Stza of Choking Victim, but less raspy, if that makes sense.

I checked out a few of Potshot's videos and I must say it wasn't what I expected. Especially the vocalist. I really enjoyed it. Should I start off with Pots and Shots? Are they local to only Japan? Or do they tour around the world?

This Saturday (the 8th) I'm going to the Mass Ska Raid at the Masquerade in Atlanta. Fifteen bands that range from third wave ska all the way to first wave and dub. Only 10 bucks all day! =D Plus Groove Stain, 50:50 Shot, and The Taj Motel Trio are going to be there (I've seen 50:50 Shot once, and Taj once but I've seen Groove Stain twice) and it's going to be killer. If you live near the Atlanta area (Im an hour and a half away) you really need to check it out. =D

petererk  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="phAde"]
dspoonrt wrote:

This Saturday (the 8th) I'm going to the Mass Ska Raid at the Masquerade in Atlanta. Fifteen bands that range from third wave ska all the way to first wave and dub. Only 10 bucks all day! =D Plus Groove Stain, 50:50 Shot, and The Taj Motel Trio are going to be there (I've seen 50:50 Shot once, and Taj once but I've seen Groove Stain twice) and it's going to be killer. If you live near the Atlanta area (Im an hour and a half away) you really need to check it out. =D

Really? Damn I wish I could go but my parents probably aren't gonna let me since they found I steal their money, steal their alcohol, and smoke weed... Fuck my life.
00:57 pkovach2 : Whats a "penis"?
00:57 jnukes2-1 : i'll show you tomorrow

Ewwww....

My Customs
phAde  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petererk wrote:

Really? Damn I wish I could go but my parents probably aren't gonna let me since they found I steal their money, steal their alcohol, and smoke weed... Fuck my life.

Yeah dude. Haha. You got a friend that can drive you?

I've been listening to Leftover Crack lately and I'm really enjoying Fuck World Trade. Do ya'll think this is their best? I like this and Mediocre Generica about the same.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: