SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Reggae/Rocksteady/Ska/Dub
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phAde wrote:
I've been listening to Leftover Crack lately and I'm really enjoying Fuck World Trade. Do ya'll think this is their best? I like this and Mediocre Generica about the same.

I was rather disappointed with Fuck World Trade when it came out and at this point, I'm pretty indifferent toward it. I like Mediocre Generica a lot more as it's harder, faster, and the songs are catchier. I still like Choking Victim more than Leftover Crack, though.

"Power Surge," "Funk You," "Grindsaw Groove," and "DisorderlyConduct"
- all charted by dspoonrt

phAde  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dspoonrt wrote:
phAde wrote:
I've been listening to Leftover Crack lately and I'm really enjoying Fuck World Trade. Do ya'll think this is their best? I like this and Mediocre Generica about the same.

I was rather disappointed with Fuck World Trade when it came out and at this point, I'm pretty indifferent toward it. I like Mediocre Generica a lot more as it's harder, faster, and the songs are catchier. I still like Choking Victim more than Leftover Crack, though.

Yeah, I'm really digging MG right now. I agree with you about Choking Victim > LoC. I wish Choking Victim had put out more than one album ya know? That would have been awesome.

Ok, Saturday I went to the Mass Ska Raid in Atlanta. It is a nine hour ska fest at the Masquerade. My friends and I got to see fifteen bands for TWELVE bucks. That's a fuckin' catch huh? It was so amazing. I'm not going to talk about every band, but I'll talk about the ones that I really enjoyed (they were all awesome though.).

When we first got in there Turbo Slaughter was in the middle of their set, and they were decent but not the greatest. (They were playing in Hell if anyone knows what I'm talking about) If you're familiar with the band Shut Up, Travis then you know how cool they are. Well they weren't even supposed to play but they showed up last minute and put on a great show. I just wish they played their cover of "Living La Vida Loca".

The next band that stood out was Chilled Monkey Brains. They were just awesome guys. They had fun on stage and played really great music. What is awesome is that all of their music is free! I havent' had a chance to download it, but I'm going to soon. I really recommend them.

I'm going to fast forward all they way until 50:50 Shot played. This band is really energetic. I've seen them once before and the time I saw them it was "their last show ever" and so was the show saturday, but they are playing Nov. 21st with THE TOASTERS, Mustard Plug, and Voodoo Glow Skulls. I'm am going to try to get to that one. At one point during their set the lead singer said "everyone get on the stage" and low and behold there were about thirty people on stage. It was so awesome.

After 50:50 Shot played, a band called Taj Motel Trio played. They are one of the best Georgia ska bands ever. I have also saw them once before. I don't know much about them, and their set was normal so I can't say much except anyone who likes third wave should check them out.

The last band to play was Groove Stain. This was the third time I saw them. What sucked though was that there was hardly anyone there. They had all left. Groove Stain are a little more punk than ska but they still are great live. If you check them out I recommend the songs "Roll One" and "AOK". They haven't put an album out yet but one is expected around summertime.

All and all the show was incredible. If you ever get the chance to go (it is held every year) go! Shows like this show how great it can be to see your local bands. =D
I'll do my loving in the winter

thesentence  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Marley is always good to listen to when I'm feeling out of place. Other than that I don't really listen to this music, but I sure as hell respect it

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of all these, i listen to Bob Marley, 311, Sublime, and Lojic (Sort of ska).

OBTAINED STATUS ON 11/12/09 AT 9:20 P.M. CT!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: E Ten Pooh Wii Friend Code: 2265615260693457
phAde  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bl1i8n2k wrote:
Out of all these, i listen to Bob Marley, 311, Sublime, and Lojic (Sort of ska).

You should really delve deeper into ska. And I checked out Lojic and aside from the occasional song with a slight thirdwave ska-esque guitar I don't hear any ska. And on their myspace it said Rock/Hip-Hop/Funk. No ska. But they were good for the music they did.

You should check out The Expendables and Pepper if you like 311. =]

GlassDragon  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only ska I've ever heard was The Chinkees, it was pretty catchy I must admit but I don't really see myself being immersed in this genre.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlassDragon wrote:
Only ska I've ever heard was The Chinkees, it was pretty catchy I must admit but I don't really see myself being immersed in this genre.

The Chinkees are really good. =] Do you want a place to get started?

GlassDragon  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phAde wrote:

Sure, that sounds good. I'm in the mood for something with a bit more instrumentation (like some solos thrown in here and there), I think I'd like that the most. Got any recommendations?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlassDragon wrote:
phAde wrote:

Sure, that sounds good. I'm in the mood for something with a bit more instrumentation (like some solos thrown in here and there), I think I'd like that the most. Got any recommendations?

Hmmm. I can't name any bands right off the bat that use solos all the time. I know Sublime used some simple solos (Santeria) here and there so you could check them out. If you like punk you could listen to Choking Victim, but they don't have solos. They only put out one full-length album No Gods, No Managers and it is really, really good. I notice you in the Metal Thread, so when I do find a band that normally uses solos, it won't be near the caliber of your metal bands. Because you're looking for more instrumentation I don't recommend first-wave ska because it's really simple instrument wise. I recommend Madness - One Step Beyond, The Toasters - Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down and The Might Mighty Bosstones - Let's Face It.

GlassDragon  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's ok. I appreciate solos of any kind, they don't have to be mind-blowing shredding solos. I'll sometimes listen to southern rock (Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers Band) and those solos are generally pretty tame, yet I still enjoy them.

I'll take a look at some of your recommendations when I get a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know that rocksteady is the name of a type of music. Now teenage mutant ninja turtles makes way more sense. 'cause the henchmen were named Rocksteady and Bebop. The more you know!

so Bob Marley is obv. one of the greatest musicians ever. Also Bedouin Soundclash is awesomely amazing.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: the colonel11
MuDvAyNe  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Urge

They were HUGE in St. Louis, signed with Sony BMG and then broke up, it was a damn shame. Their lead singer is getting back into show-biz though with his solo act, he even played a gig at a Halloween party I went to last year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TZ0b3PiA-k

<--Click the banner for the video
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: oXMuDvAyNeXo
JTHomeslice  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlassDragon wrote:
phAde wrote:

Check out Reel Big Fish. Aaron is an awesome guitarist and plays some sweet solos.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reel Big Fish is GREAT, and Goldfinger has some cool ska in their music, as does a little bit of Less Than Jake.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit saddened at the lack of mention for RX Bandits in this thread.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: aggrogahu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: