ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Guitar Hero 5 Hands-On Preview!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Guitar Hero News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twall  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the new guitars ? waht are you impressions(to those who tested them)?
Amanwithapencil  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memesis wrote:
And yes, there is vocal pro face off online this time around, so you shouldn't have any worries there.

Yay! I can't wait to own people's faces off on this. I wonder if anyone will even be playing it...

dr00bles wrote:
Oh, hey, when are we going to hear all this new vocals info you mentioned earlier?

Also, I second this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thirdkoopa wrote:
Oh and memesis, while you're here, on online band quickplay will we see stats, like how much percentage each band member got? (Or heck, ANY Online band mode)

It would be great if this could get answered - in addition, can we restart online? Before, if we wanted to restart, we'd have to fail the song on purpose, get back to the song select screen, and choose the song again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: is it Reply with quote

is it still true...that if we preorder GH5 You get Van halen for Free?

Wattershed  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: is it Reply with quote

LunchB0X-SuPreMe wrote:

Only in the US.
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wattershed wrote:
UndeadFil13QC wrote:
SilentStalker57 wrote:
How are the the purple/gray connected notes? I hope they fixed those they cost me too many missed notes in the harder songs and its annoying as hell

The "issue" with purple/grey notes cannot be fixed. It's pretty hard to explain why so just keep in mind that the only way to fix it would be to remove them from the game. Seriously, why don't they put an on-off switch? <_<

they are fixed in the newer versions so why complain? They are no different from SH/M in GH5 so there will be nothing to be afraid of.

Improved =/= "fixed"

I'm still waiting for the day that we can turn off tapping notes, but until then there's nothing we can really do about it. I'm still buying this game simply for tournaments (the game more then pays for itself after one tournament), but I have a bad feeling that I'm only going to find a small number of songs fun. Just have to wait and see I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: is it Reply with quote

Wattershed wrote:
LunchB0X-SuPreMe wrote:

Only in the US.

that sucks ass

BLINK IS BACK!!!!!!!
memesis  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the game coming out on Tuesday, I figured I might as well post what essentially is the blog I wrote up explaining vocals in GH5. So here it is. I apologize for the wait.

Memesis' Vocal Devblog wrote:
Hey everybody, my name is Anthony Campos and I work as a Note Tracker here at Neversoft. With all of the GH5 information being released recently, information about the vocals in the game has been pretty sparse. Well, today I’m gonna fill you in on everything you need to know about singing in GH5.

A lot of changes and tweaks have gone into vocals since Guitar Hero World Tour. Some changes are aesthetic, such as the overall look of the pitches in the highway (which are much cleaner and easier to read). There are also some minor changes to earning and maintaining your multiplier. Earning an “Excellent” rating still increases the multiplier by one, but if the player has a 4x multiplier and earns a “Solid” rating, the multiplier will drop to 2x (earning another “Solid” rating consecutively will drop the multiplier back to 1x).

One thing that has changed (that I’m sure competitive singers will be happy about) is that freeform sections no longer affect the players score. Gone are the days of lopsided scoring and exploiting these sections for points. Players are now awarded with a boost to their rock meter. This makes it so freeform sections feel less mandatory, and turns them into something the player can enjoy if they so choose (and possibly help them out in a tight spot if they’re struggling).

Another welcome addition to vocals is the inclusion of Star Power (SP) phrases. Up to this point, SP was awarded to the player based on their performance in each phrase, with an “Excellent” rating giving the player the highest amount of SP available for any given phrase. As a result, this made SP available at any given point since it was awarded after every phrase, removing a lot of the strategy and difficulty from vocals. We now assign SP to individual phrases. These phrases require an “Excellent” rating for SP to be awarded to the player.

One of the new features that I am most excited for is the inclusion of a phrase progress meter. This meter essentially tells the player how well they are currently doing in any given phrase. As a player sings through a phrase, the meter will change color to indicate what rating they will earn or how close they are to earning a particular rating. While it may seem like a rather hum-drum addition, this progress meter is the foundation to how vocals are now scored.

Scoring is handled completely different than how it was handled in previous games. To start off, players will no longer earn a base score per phrase. Phrases are now scored based on the amount of time they stay on pitch. Think of it in terms of how sustains continuously score points on guitar and you have the basic idea. So to put it simply, the more pitches you nail within a phrase, the more points you get! As a result of this new system of scoring, the length of a phrase is directly related to how many points you will earn from a phrase. So if you have two phrases, one short with many short notes, and one very long with long sustained notes, the longer phrase will inherently award more points since you are spending more time singing in that phrase than the shorter one.

So where does the progress meter fit into all of this? Well, in order to earn an “Excellent” rating on a phrase, the player is required to hit 80% of the pitches within that phrase. The progress meter reflects this by changing to the color green when the player crosses that threshold (pictured below). However, even though the meter has turned green, the meter will show the remaining 20%, be that what the player missed or what they have yet to hit. This 20% is where players can squeeze more points out of a phrase even after they’ve earned an “Excellent” rating (also pictured below).

The same concept applies to SP phrases as well. If the player barely crosses the “Excellent” threshold of a SP phrase, they will be awarded the standard 1/4 of the star power meter. However, if they begin to push into the extra 20% of the progress meter, the player will be awarded extra SP relative to how much of the meter is filled. Think of it like whammying SP for vocals. This new system really makes vocals much more dynamic and reflective of the player’s ability. To put it all in perspective, I have passed the same song multiple times with 100% (FC), and I have never earned the same score twice. For all of you competitive score hunters out there, I’m sure this is just what the doctor ordered.

So there you have it. You are now up to date with everything you need to know about vocals in Guitar Hero 5. Keep on rockin’, and I’ll see you guys online on September 1st! \m/

In retrospect, this probably isnt EVERYTHING about vocals, but its pretty close. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them as best I can, and I'm sure Darkfox wouldnt mind helping to answer them either.
Raikri999  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask then, if it's easier than WT to get 100% of the points? Or is it the same as WT where you have to be spot on direct?
memesis  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raikri999 wrote:
Can I ask then, if it's easier than WT to get 100% of the points? Or is it the same as WT where you have to be spot on direct?

The leniency has been increased from what it has been in previous games. So no, its not as unforgiving as WT vocals were.
llamaman2  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I approve of the new scoring system. I just hated those darn freeforms. This new system looks to still reward the better vocalists, but two FC's won't be spread by 100k in points just because of a freeform section.
Thirdkoopa  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memesis wrote:
Raikri999 wrote:

The leniency has been increased from what it has been in previous games. So no, its not as unforgiving as WT vocals were.

Q:By this quote
"However, if they begin to push into the extra 20% of the progress meter, the player will be awarded extra SP relative to how much of the meter is filled. Think of it like whammying SP for vocals."

You mean by, we only have to fill up 80% Of the phrase to keep your streak going, just like in WT?

If so. I <3 you guys so much right now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thirdkoopa wrote:
memesis wrote:
Raikri999 wrote:

"However, if they begin to push into the extra 20% of the progress meter, the player will be awarded extra SP relative to how much of the meter is filled. Think of it like whammying SP for vocals."

You mean by, we only have to fill up 80% Of the phrase to keep your streak going, just like in WT?

80% is always what it has been. The only difference is that we are showing you the 80% with the meter instead of filling the meter up entirely once you've hit the required amount. Now every bit of the phrase is worth something, but its just not required to earn an excellent. Being able to push into that remaining 20% allows people to try and improve and earn more points and star power.
Raikri999  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memesis wrote:
Thirdkoopa wrote:
memesis wrote:
Raikri999 wrote:

80% is always what it has been. The only difference is that we are showing you the 80% with the meter instead of filling the meter up entirely once you've hit the required amount. Now every bit of the phrase is worth something, but its just not required to earn an excellent. Being able to push into that remaining 20% allows people to try and improve and earn more points and star power.
An 80% exactly would be 500 points on X1, or is it different now?
memesis  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raikri999 wrote:
An 80% exactly would be 500 points on X1, or is it different now?

There are no definite scores to phrases now. Scoring is handled dynamically:
devblog wrote:
To start off, players will no longer earn a base score per phrase. Phrases are now scored based on the amount of time they stay on pitch. Think of it in terms of how sustains continuously score points on guitar and you have the basic idea. So to put it simply, the more pitches you nail within a phrase, the more points you get! As a result of this new system of scoring, the length of a phrase is directly related to how many points you will earn from a phrase. So if you have two phrases, one short with many short notes, and one very long with long sustained notes, the longer phrase will inherently award more points since you are spending more time singing in that phrase than the shorter one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Guitar Hero News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: