ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Halo Series (Master Cheese Collection: November 2014)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inv4der  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Halo Series (Master Cheese Collection: November 2014) Reply with quote

This thread is for all games (and related media) in the Halo franchise. The current official games (and systems they are/will be available on) are, in chronological order (Blue is main series, red is secondary games, green is novels):

Cryptum
    Primordium
    (About 100,000 years)
    Contact Harvest
    Halo Wars (360)
    Cole Protocol
    Fall Of Reach (note: time frame is very large, going from pre-Contact Harvest to the titular Fall of Reach)
    Halo: Reach (360)
    Halo: Combat Evolved/Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (Xbox, 360, PC and Mac/360)
    The Flood (possibly the most disputed for canon status, simultaneous with H1)
    First Strike
    Halo 2 (Xbox, 360, and Vista)
    Halo 3: ODST (360) (includes Halo 3: Mythic, a multiplayer only disc)
    Ghosts of Onyx (yet another large time frame, starts around the time of Cole's victories at Harvest, ends around the same time H2 does)
    Halo 3 (360)
    Glasslands
    Halo 4 (360)
    Halo 5 (One)
    Halo 6 (One)

All subjects relating to these games are fair game, including, but not limited to: Story Mode Gameplay, the Halo Story (all games and books), Multiplayer Gameplay and Completely Baseless Speculation. When there's a contradiction between two official sources, the newest wins. The games and books always win over any other media.

As one last note, all competitive Multiplayer, ODST/Reach's Firefight and Halo 1, 2 and 4's co-op Spartans are non-canon and are in no way connected to the story.

Last edited by inv4der on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:51 am; edited 58 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: INV4DER
xXryannn  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About time someone made one of these. I was getting sick of seeing three different Halo threads on the first page.

I would contribute more but you kind of left no discussion points.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: xXryannnnnnnnnn
thesentence  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halo is my favorite FPS, not because of Halo 3, but because of the trilogy. Halo CE and Halo 2 were so much fun back on the original Xbox and I still think Halo 2 had the best matchmaking. Halo Wars is definitely not my style and Halo 3 ODST was kind of a let down. Fire fight in pretty fun, but the campaign just doesn't feel like Halo to me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesentence wrote:
the campaign (of ODST) just doesn't feel like Halo to me.

Well, there's a discussion point.

To me, it felt like Halo, but also different. It's probably because they tried something new with the non-super soldier PC. The lack of any Forerunner or Flood characters is also something that hasn't happened before.

I did think the story was up with Halo 1 and 2 in terms of quality, versus the slight randomness (I'll go into that if pressed for it >__>) of Halo 3's campaign.

Also, if anyone wants to do Firefight, Legendary ODST campaign or Halo 3 multiplayer (preferably with the Mythic disc that comes with ODST, although I'm fine with less maps.), contact me about that.

And just because I'm curious about it, how many people are Halo Story nerds? Like read all the books, played all the games and paid attention to the story, that sort of thing.

I'm actually short of that by only the Cole Protocol novel (Haven't gotten to buy it yet) and Halo Wars (I tried the demo and had no clue what to do >__>), although I know the HW story line enough that I don't really need to play it.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: INV4DER
Octavian  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they made ODST I think to experiment. I mean before, you were an unstoppable super soldier trained to kill everything you faced. I thought it was nice to put some hanicaps on the gamepkay and make you a normal human. I also like that they brought back the same weapons but with new attachments. The graphics are improved and recon is unlockabke. And you get a beta key for halo reach...I don't see the problem xD
RLKDragon  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Octavian wrote:
they made ODST I think to experiment. I mean before, you were an unstoppable super soldier trained to kill everything you faced. I thought it was nice to put some hanicaps on the gamepkay and make you a normal human. I also like that they brought back the same weapons but with new attachments. The graphics are improved and recon is unlockabke. And you get a beta key for halo reach...I don't see the problem xD

Ummm....I see one. You are essentially paying $60 for an expansion pack. Sure the firefight mode is what everyone is raving about (which is almost carbon copy of GoW2's Horde mode), but apart from that, the multiplayer is the same with the same DLC maps and a short 4 hour story mode. Fallout's DLC stories were longer than that. I dunno, I'll wait until the price drops before I think about getting this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: RLKDragon
goldengoal7  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following Halo since I got my 360 along with Halo 3 in Summer '08, and it's definitely one of my favorite shooters on the console. I could have done without Halo Wars, though. Rented it, never really got into it, but I can see how fans of that genre could like it. As for my thoughts on ODST, I suppose I'll just copy paste from the other thread.

I feel like I'm alone on this one, but I'm really enjoying this game quite a bit. I'm loving the New Mombosa atmosphere and I think I like this way of presenting the story a bit better than Halo 3's. Haven't really had to much of a go at Firefight yet but it seems promising, and the 3 new maps look pretty decent. And of course being an achievement whore, it's nice to see some cool achievements that will have me going on this one for awhile. It also came with the Halo Reach thing and a 48H Gold Sub, which is a nice bonus I didn't even know was going to be in there.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, of course, but I felt like I got my money's worth (or so far, at least)

And if anyone want to do some Vidmasters, Legendary Campaign, or Firefight just hit me up with a message at GT: xGoldenx7 and something saying you're from SH.
SDoner8790  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halo 1's campaign was the best campaigns out of the Halos. And Halo 2's multiplayer was the best out of all the halos. I have no idea how many hours i spent playing halo 2 matchmaking. Halo 3 just didn't do it for me, it's good, but just nowhere near halo 2 for me.

Haven't played Halo 3 ODST, probably not getting it, not worth my 60 bucks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLKDragon wrote:
Octavian wrote:

Ummm....I see one. You are essentially paying $60 for an expansion pack. Sure the firefight mode is what everyone is raving about (which is almost carbon copy of GoW2's Horde mode), but apart from that, the multiplayer is the same with the same DLC maps and a short 4 hour story mode. Fallout's DLC stories were longer than that. I dunno, I'll wait until the price drops before I think about getting this.
It's a pretty decently lengthy game 6-9 hours depending on difficulty. So it's pretty standard for the series; and it adds a story depicting the human-marine viewpoint and human characteristics that were absent from the other halos. Seeming to fit the "superhuman" theme worked at the time and story focus. But the fact that your hp dosent regen, and you are given options (unlike halo 3 and 2 where they forced every gunfight.)
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just looking forward to Halo Reach MP Beta (if anyone has a exact date/month, post it. Im looking toward Spring)

Firefight is also fun, but sucks on Live. Laggy the whole game so i couldnt do anything.

As i post in every Halo thread, if someone wants to play matchmaking, send me a FR: PRS Sarg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say firefight is really addicting with a good friend
Glock  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goddamn, I did the vidmaster: annual achievement today, and everyone else got it except for me, I got kicked out of the party for some reason at the end so thats probably why, but I'm still so freaking pissed. I want my stupid recon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am indeed a Halo nerd: own all games (special editions, and I even bought the massive Halo 2 map pack on disc so I could get the video extras), books, and the graphic novel. I think Bungie has done an incredible job creating a deep and story-driven world in a gaming genre that so often throws all the extracurriculars to the side. There's so much learn if you're willing to go beyond the games (even though the games have overall done a stellar job combining story and gameplay). I've never been this engrossed in any other game's series, and I really look forward to the prequel Halo: Reach.

With that said, I will say that ODST's campaign left me "Hmm-ing" a lot. My feelings are mixed. While the gameplay was as good as it ever is, the story lacked substance and character. In fact, there really isn't any story at all, at least until the end. It's simply rescuing your squadmates scattered around New Mombasa, eventually leading to the discovery of this special Engineer (which I'm sure was a new Covenant type to many, but if you've read the books, you know all about them).

It seems to ask more questions than it does answer though. Why is this particular Engineer by itself in the core of New Mombasa? How does it know the Covenant's plans? Do Sarge and the ODST group ever relay this information to the UNSC? There's never any mention of it in Halo 3, and since we end up doing very little with the actual Covenant Halo 3, there's obviously still a lot of story to tell involving this Engineer...though Bungie seems set on Halo 3 being the final continuation of the story (I still find that hard to believe).

Aside from the questionable content of ODST's story, it sure didn't help that the writing and voice acting were mediocre at best. I know I've never expected that much out of Bungie, but come on. And the Halo engine is really starting to show its age; the lighting effects helped, but this looks like a nice XBox game, rather than a 360 game.

I thought the gameplay would end up a lot different than it did, too. It wasn't by any means bad, but I really didn't feel that much weaker than Master Chief throughout the game. I was confident enough to jump head-first into most small to medium-sized fights little worry of death. I guess I thought the game would revolve a lot more around stealth than your basic Halo firefight fare.

Fortunately, I didn't have the Legendary or Mythic maps, and Firefight is a blast (though damn if ammo is sometimes annoyingly hard to come by), so I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. As far as the rest of the games in the series are concerned:
SDoner8790 wrote:
Halo 1's campaign was the best campaigns out of the Halos. And Halo 2's multiplayer was the best out of all the halos. I have no idea how many hours i spent playing halo 2 matchmaking. Halo 3 just didn't do it for me, it's good, but just nowhere near halo 2 for me.

Couldn't agree more. Halo 1 definitely had the most memorable campaign and was revolutionary for its time; I was blown away. And while Halo 1's multi-player was solid, Halo 2 took it to the next level X100. That game got me (and millions of others) into online gaming, and the number of hours I've clocked into that game between Xbox Live and LAN parties with friends... I'm not sure I even want to know that number.

Inv4der, I'm always up for discussing anything Halo-related, so let's hear your thoughts on Halo 3's story (and anything else you want to comment on).

Currently playing: Gears, Batman
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: PistonHonda22 PSN Name: SodaPopinskii
inv4der  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorpusCollosum wrote:
It sure didn't help that the writing and voice acting were mediocre at best.

You're clearly not a Firefly fan.

I'm a fan of that series and having those three (Mal, Jayne and Wash for those who know it) as parts of the squad was cool.

Also, I'll get my thoughts on the randomness of Halo 3's story down at some point.

A side note, is there any interest in a SH based Halo IRC channel on gamesurge? (I'd be more than happy to make one if there's actual interest)
xXryannn  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorpusCollosum wrote:
With that said, I will say that ODST's campaign left me "Hmm-ing" a lot. My feelings are mixed. While the gameplay was as good as it ever is, the story lacked substance and character. In fact, there really isn't any story at all, at least until the end. It's simply rescuing your squadmates scattered around New Mombasa, eventually leading to the discovery of this special Engineer (which I'm sure was a new Covenant type to many, but if you've read the books, you know all about them).

THANK YOU. I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE.

I really didn't understand why the story was made out to be the greatest thing to ODST. Compared to all the other stories, this one is shit, mainly because of all the loose ends they left, like you mentioned.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: xXryannnnnnnnnn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132  Next
Page 1 of 132

Jump to: