SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Next Metal Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81, 82  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
popemobile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ganondorf901 wrote:
Personally I dislike Dagon's voice, but other than that Inquisition is a great band. I like DSBM because it adds a whole new level of depth to traditional Black Metal, and shows that its not just thrashing 100% of the time.

A Celebration of Guilt is a good album, but I heard the rest of Arsis's stuff becomes progressively worse. Are you looking for Tech Death with the Melo-Death vibe to it? Because I don't know any other bands that really do it.

Personally I think his voice works fantastic with the music.

A Celebration of Guilt is an okay album but everything else by Arsis is pretty much garbage. If you want great tech death listen to Anata.
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popemobile wrote:
If you want great tech death listen to Anata.

This, The Conductor's Departure is a kickass album.
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ganondorf901 wrote:
popemobile wrote:

I prefer Under A Stone With No Inscription. The guitar tone is godly.
popemobile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
ganondorf901 wrote:
popemobile wrote:

I prefer Under A Stone With No Inscription. The guitar tone is godly.

funnily enough, I started listening to them because you asked me to review that album in my thread, which I ended up giving up on because of having 8+ hours of work a day on top of school. But yeah Under A Stone is my favorite album by them, followed by Infernal Depths of Hatred. I've pretty much grown out of tech death (except for Necrophagist because they are my guilty pleasure for nostalgia reasons), but Under A Stone is imo one of the best albums of the decade.

I planned on doing that review next actually because I decided to check out one of the songs from it on youtube (Entropy Within) and I loved it so much that I decided to bump it up. I'd give the album at least a 9/10, but I'm not gonna write a review for it unfortunately because I just do not feel like doing that at all.

But enough about weedlies. I finally went through a couple of albums that I've had in my itunes for months but never got around to listening: The Winterlong by God Macabre and Justify Your Existence by Chronic Decay. Both are amazing. The Winterlong is fantastic Swedish death metal and JYE is a compilation of demos done by CD that got released last year. Excellent thrash/death metal that is one of my favorite albums released in 2010 (definitely top 5, along with new Bongripper, Weapon and Immolation)

EDIT: I was wrong, JYE is NOT a compilation of demos and is actually an entire album that was just unreleased, originally made in 1994

my bag
tornintwo  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how many of you are into the doom/sludge/drone style of music, but I found the band that I didn't know I was waiting for. That band is Nadja. If you like Jesu, this will be your new favourite band. Neurosis and Isis' soundscapes lacking a little something you can't quite put your finger on? Nadja supplies it and then some. These are easily some of the best sounds I have ever had the pleasure of forcing through my ears at incredibly high volume. If this sounds at all appealing, read some of the reviews on metal archives. Most of the reviews are written by the same 2 people so there's a certain consistency you don't usually find.

Here's the first paragraph of one review from the re-recorded version of their second album Touched:
Quote:
Perhaps it's the idea behind Nadja that is the reason I like it so much. For those new to Nadja, imagine getting a Jesu song, making it twice as long, adding heaps of synths and then filtering it through a fuzz pedal. So beautiful, so blissed out, still heavy and overwhelming, but also compassionate, joyful and seriously epic. It's exactly the kind of music I want, which probably explains why I love it so much.

Warnar wrote:
The elitists attack! Everybody run away!
popemobile  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy mother's day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BiOITZHC8I
POKE-JJ  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popemobile wrote:
happy mother's day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BiOITZHC8I

this man is a genius

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEJe-K8z760

Miasmal came out with a new album recently and the whole thing is pretty solid. Death metal throughout, sludgy at parts. Album is self-titled.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sup guys, I haven't been here in a while. I just stopped by to show off my new poster.

What do you think?

Last.FM|Facebook

yksi-kaksi-kolme has 699 love making sessions left.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: She Wants Reven PSN Name: OnionPowder
GarageMetal468  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome man! I gotta check out the remastered album, Human is one of my favorites and to hear better production on it would be cool.

Anyway, let's briefly recap on the 2011 metal albums so far:

New Alestorm is AWESOME, funny as hell too
New Amon Amarth is nothing new but still good
New Autopsy is awesome
New Belphegor is the same as new Amon Amarth
New Between the Buried and Me EP is great
New Black Dahlia Murder blew my expectations out of the water, possible candidate for best 2011 metal album
New Deicide is actually not bad
New Destruction was disappointing
I really liked the two new Devin Townsend Project albums, Deconstruction was something I wasn't expecting but it was still good
New Enslaved EP is pretty good
New Hate Eternal kicked my ass
New Havok is AWESOME
New Lazarus A.D. was disappointing
New Macabre is AWESOME
New Morbid Angel album gave me herpigonnosyphillaids - what the fuck is this shit
New Obscura is incredible
New Protest the Hero is awesome
New Rotten Sound is pretty good
New Scale the Summit is awesome
New Symphony X is incredible

So it's been a solid year so far. There's been some bad stuff out of the majority of good things. Some upcoming albums:

Vader - gonna be awesome, no doubt about it
Decapitated - saw a video of a new song live... not promising at all, I don't like where this is going
Vektor - not gonna doubt it's gonna be good
Gorguts - gonna be great
Warbringer - can't wait for this one
Diamond Plate - Local Chicago band that got signed to Earache a while ago, I can confirm that this is going to be awesome as well

Thoughts? Any other bands I missed? This thread is kind of dead so hopefully the replies can pick up with this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with those myself. Alestorm was surprisingly better than I thought it was going to be with some great songs on it. Wasn't much of a Lazarus A.D. fan in particular, but their previous album wasn't bad, but the new one was just...I don't know, did something wrong.

I need to pick this up. I really enjoy Russell Allens vocals, which has me interested in the side project he's doing with Mike Portnoy. Not that it's supposed to be metal, but I'm curious how he'll handle more of a rock style of vocals.

As for what else I've been listening to that's new...

Arch Enemy wasn't too bad. I liked the instrumental stuff and it's still good music. Can't go wrong with Arch Enemy, unless you just don't like Arch Enemy lol

Wolfs new album wasn't quite that good. Not that it's bad, but I feel it's just not as good. Vocally I think the singer is trying to keep the vocals from going too all out compared to previous works. Still solid heavy metal.

I got into Tyr with their new release and it's some good power/folk metal. Big vocals, big sound, that whole thing.

Also I really need to pick up the new Chrome Division album. I know they got a new singer, but their music is great. Kinda like a heavier Motorhead and the new guy is sounding good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ_7FIykNs0
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard great things about the new BDM but have yet to listen to it. Also, where is the love for the new Falconer? Fucking amazing. New Morbid Angel was.... fuck. Týr = great. From what I heard of it, I will make sweet love to the upcoming Rhapsody of Fire record.

And get this: Devin Townsend, Obscura, AND Septicflesh (also Children of Bodom, which is meh and means tons of scene kids), right by my town and I can't go. I'm about to kill somebody. Hopefully catching Kamelot sometime soon though!

Edit: Almost forgot, check out the new Anaal Nathrakh, its fucking brutal (as expected)
killermonkey  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just fully listened to A New Era Of Corruption and I've gotta say I think Whitechapel does an amazing job this time. They kept the backing music that made them them and the vocals got better in my opinion. I think they're a great band right now and I can't wait til they have a new album to see what they sound like next cause from what I've seen they have nowhere to go but up.

If you haven't heard any of it -
Whitechapel-Devolver http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koSPdNgBpyE
popemobile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GarageMetal468 wrote:
New Autopsy is awesome
New Black Dahlia Murder blew my expectations out of the water, possible candidate for best 2011 metal album
I really liked the two new Devin Townsend Project albums, Deconstruction was something I wasn't expecting but it was still good
New Havok is AWESOME
New Macabre is AWESOME
New Morbid Angel album gave me herpigonnosyphillaids - what the fuck is this shit

DIFFERENT TASTES MEGATHREAD, the only things on this entire list that I agree with are that new Autopsy is amazing and new Morbid Angel is awful. Haven't heard new BDM and they're a guilty pleasure of mine so I'll wait to judge that one, but the most of this list I disagree with completely
GarageMetal468  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popemobile wrote:
GarageMetal468 wrote:
New Autopsy is awesome
New Havok is AWESOME
New Macabre is AWESOME

DIFFERENT TASTES MEGATHREAD, the only things on this entire list that I agree with are that new Autopsy is amazing and new Morbid Angel is awful. Haven't heard new BDM and they're a guilty pleasure of mine so I'll wait to judge that one, but the most of this list I disagree with completely

I just made this out of what I thought and (for some of these) what the general consensus is from others. Of course a lot of people are going to disagree with what I think. Hell most people said that the new Devin Townsend albums are bad but I really liked them. And don't get me started on how many people I've seen hating on the new Deicide...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81, 82  Next
Page 80 of 82

Jump to: