ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Gil Snapper in FF12 (Yes I KNOW there's an FF12 thread)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JHetfield0816  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Gil Snapper in FF12 (Yes I KNOW there's an FF12 thread) Reply with quote

Ok, I made this thread regarding a SPECIFIC part of FF12 because I'm in the middle of the game and I don't want to see any spoilers.

I have a question for any of you who have beaten/fought the Gil Snapper elite mark in Final Fantasy 12. I'm at the southmost save point in Giza Plains in the rainy season for the first time. I knocked over all those trees and fought Gil Snapper the other day with Vaan, Basche, and Ashe all at Level 21. I wasn't paying attention so I don't know how it happened, but I somehow managed to silence him, and that helper guy who comes started beating the crap out of Gil Snapper. I didn't realize though, that you can heal Allies that aren't in your party until the dude was almost dead, so I made a last ditch effort to constantly heal him, but it was too late. I saw I was able to do very little damage, and Gil Snapper has like a billion HP, so I decided to start over and fight him again. But, I was unable to Silence the asshole because my spells kept fucking missing the 2nd time, so that didn't turn out well.

Did any of you manage to beat Gil Snapper at level 20-23, and if you did, do you have any other strategy tips or ideas for damaging Gil Snapper besides trying to silence him and letting the guy who helps you beat the crap out of him for a LONG time? Or would you just recommend just waiting till later in the game when it would be easier? I'm not sure if that matters or not.

Any advice/help would be appreciated. ::looks at Riz::

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
Sottle  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i was around 18ish when i fought him the first time around. The key is as you say to keep him silenced. If you're having trouble doing it with the spell, then you can equip a gun with silent shot ammo, at least that way you'll be dealing some damage as well.

Or even better, if you have the Nihopalaoa accessory (i didn't have one at that point, but i'm pretty sure it's possible, it's in the Rabanastre Bazaar Clan Shop) you can just chuck an echo herb or remedy at him for a guaranteed hit.

He's also vulnerable to blind and slow if i remember correctly, so those might help.

Bansat, the guy who helps you has a chance of inflicting immobolise with his physical attacks, so if that happens, get to a distance and resort to long range weapons and spells for some free damage until it wears off.

As for fighting it, just keep your buffs up, protect over shell as you hope to keep it silenced as much as possible. And tank him with one character (Gauntlets accesory, Main Gauche -- For sale in Rabanastre, Whatever the best shield is at that point (Golden, i think) Heavy Armour and blocking augments on the license board, along with decoy if you have at that point, i'm not sure you do ). With that setup, he will REALLY struggle to hit that character, so it's your job to keep the attention on your tank. I find that early game monsters tend to target the low HP character a lot, so consider making your lowest HP character your Tank, as counter intuitive as that may sound. Tanking in general is a massively helpful strategy for mark hunting.

Should be fine. If you took down Rocktoise alright, this one shouldn't be much worse.

Quote:
Or would you just recommend just waiting till later in the game when it would be easier?

Absolutely not :P

The great thing about FFXII is that there is ALWAYS a way to overcome a more powerful opponent with strategy. Always. I absolutely loathe power levellers in RPGs, especially when they come back afterwards and complain the game was too easy. But i'm just ranting now, not related to you at all :P

Last edited by Sottle on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:54 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Sottle PSN Name: Sottle Wii Friend Code: 1365547015982980
Riz  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you much... I was low to mid 20s when I got around to taking out Rocktoise, and I didn't do Gil Snapper until a fair bit later. Probably around high 20s, 30ish. He was more or less cake at that point, however, with Balthier equipped with a top of the line gun and silence shot.

Riz.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now that i think about it, the long range weapons idea might work even if you don't immobolise him, since he's such a slow mover, he probably wouldn't get near enough to attack much at all. Although again, keeping him silenced is key.

Oh and i seem to recall he only attacks with Blizzara (possibly -aga as well) so some Ice protetction wouldn't go amiss for when he manages to slip out of silence as he will Purify himself from time to time.

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Sottle PSN Name: Sottle Wii Friend Code: 1365547015982980
JHetfield0816  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. He also has Disablegaga or whatever the hell that is...that was a pain in the ass when I fought him the second time. I suppose it takes a good deal of time to beat him, though, while Bansat beats on him. I took Rocktoise out at level 14 or 15 actually, so I guess I'll just give this a shot again and make sure I silence him and equip some of those things you said. I've already got a lot of the augments.

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
entropymaxer  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sottle and riz covered it but heres a word on silencing or status' in general. Putting a status on enemies is usually pretty annoying. These tips should make it at least as easy as it can be

-Shell reduces your (already low) chance of inflicting a status by 50% So dispel him first if he has shell.
-Bosses may or may not have a passive trait that reduces your chance of inflicting a status even if they are not immune to that.
-Status infliction is based off of magic power AND vitality. So try to pick people to use silnce on him that have high levels of both (Basch would be the worst because he has low vitality and low magic)
-I have never explicitly seen it proven/stated But it seemed to me if there was a large level gap between me and th enemy(the enemy being higher)I had a very difficult time getting status' on the enemy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: