Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Metallica- Death Magnetic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silly  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least it was better than all the shit they've churned out since the 90's... I played it in order rather than skipping to what I knew (I'd already heard Cyanide and The Day That Never Comes live), and That Was Just Your Life as the opening track got me expecting an epic album. I was disappointed ultimately.

It's certainly not a poor album, but pales in comparison to the masterpieces of the 80s. Granted, Cyanide and End of the Line are great songs, but do they even come close to stuff like Dyers Eve or Fade To Black? I think the reason people will be harsh on the new album is that there's so much hype to live up to (remember St. Anger?), and so many quality releases from Metallica in the past to compare Death Magnetic to.

Having said that, it's a huge step up from the mistake that was St. Anger, and I'd say is Metallica's best studio album since Justice (not that there's much competition there ). This could well be the stepping stone back to the glory days, but for me, this isn't what I've been hoping for since I had the misfortune to hear St. Anger.

DLC || Last.FM || RB Acc thread || YouTube || Steam || League of Legends

Last edited by Silly on Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Loistava Wii Friend Code: 369484373961
Emptyeye  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickles wrote:

St. anger was not a great album, but i respect it for what it was. The first time i liked it was when i was in a mood of anger and hatred like I'd never felt before. I turned to the heaviest thing i could find, slayer. That worked in the past but this was different. This was anger like no other. I realized that day that it was the un-named feeling. I put on St.Anger and it felt right. I have been careful not to say anything about st.anger since.

I know what you mean. About a year or so after St. Anger came out, I got diagnosed with T-Cell Lymphoblastic Lymphoma (I'm obviously fine now, if you're curious). In the weeks that followed, I listened to St. Anger...and I just got it. It seemed like it was very much a catharsis for them as much as anything else, for better or worse, and I actually think it's pretty good musically. It's production, on the other hand, not all that much (Its problem isn't that it's too raw. Its problem is that it's a very slickly overproduced album trying very very hard to sound raw), but I try to listen past that aspect now (Justice is maybe my favorite album ever, period, and that didn't have the greatest production either).

In short, St. Anger is really not as bad as its reputation suggests, though it's admittedly hard to identify with it if you've been in that "I hate the world and want to express it in any way possible, polished or not" state of mind.

Incidentally, I've considered running an experiment of sorts, taking the songs on St. Anger, and pitch-shifting them up to the key of E (Where most of their classic material is) to see if maybe people would like it better.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am amazed that people don't like this album. I think hating Metallica became the cool thing and that's really saddening to me.

This is metallica in their element. If you hate this album i think you just might hate metallica. So James' singing is not as good as it was in the 80's. Everything on this album is pure raw metallica. It's supposed to sound under produced anyway, which i don't have a problem with. The guitar riffs in all of the songs are in total possibly their best since master. I will admit in total, the solo's aren't perfect, but the unforgiven III's solo is outstanding. In my top ten favorite solo's by him, no Question.

Not much to say about Lars, I don't know much about drumming but i think he is a great drummer and his drums tone always manages to complete the sound.

I also love the title of the album. It has amazing meaning that fits the album perfectly. Death Magnetic. This whole album, in my opinion, is about death. And magnetic is to say how we are drawn to death. Basically it means that theirs something about death that attracts them, like a magnet. I think it's a great title. However master of puppets is really just a song title. Not really as clever if you ask me.

Like it or loath it. It's metallica. They are not formula song writers like dragonforce (best example i have at the moment that everyone will get), and i respect that to no end. Imagine if every album they put out, they used the same equipment and settings as master of puppets? Metallica is not repetitive. They never repeat themselves which is considered the hardest thing about being a musician, especially when that's all millions of fans ask for. For better or worse they never put out the same album twice. Unless you are a nitpicker and count Re/load which they basically let you know be the title that that is what they were trying to do.

I love metallica and I love death magnetic.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing against Kirk Hammett, but can you believe it was him and not Lars or Hetfield that came up with Death Magnetic? I was shocked. Haha.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: CL0VAH PSN Name: TrickTwo
0wnd1zzl3d  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickles wrote:
I am amazed that people don't like this album. I think hating Metallica became the cool thing and that's really saddening to me.

This is metallica in their element. If you hate this album i think you just might hate metallica. So James' singing is not as good as it was in the 80's. Everything on this album is pure raw metallica. It's supposed to sound under produced anyway, which i don't have a problem with. The guitar riffs in all of the songs are in total possibly their best since master. I will admit in total, the solo's aren't perfect, but the unforgiven III's solo is outstanding. In my top ten favorite solo's by him, no Question.

Not much to say about Lars, I don't know much about drumming but i think he is a great drummer and his drums tone always manages to complete the sound.

I also love the title of the album. It has amazing meaning that fits the album perfectly. Death Magnetic. This whole album, in my opinion, is about death. And magnetic is to say how we are drawn to death. Basically it means that theirs something about death that attracts them, like a magnet. I think it's a great title. However master of puppets is really just a song title. Not really as clever if you ask me.

Like it or loath it. It's metallica. They are not formula song writers like dragonforce (best example i have at the moment that everyone will get), and i respect that to no end. Imagine if every album they put out, they used the same equipment and settings as master of puppets? Metallica is not repetitive. They never repeat themselves which is considered the hardest thing about being a musician, especially when that's all millions of fans ask for. For better or worse they never put out the same album twice. Unless you are a nitpicker and count Re/load which they basically let you know be the title that that is what they were trying to do.

I love metallica and I love death magnetic.

See, I have to disagree. None of the riffs get stuck in my head, or have the same oomph as MoP. Right now, try to hum or imagine the riff of a random song of the album. Can you? Maybe a few sections, but not the entire thing. They're not really memorable, and another problem with the album is that some songs aren't very distinguishable. I get songs confused with one another because they all sound so similar. With MoP or AJFA, I can tell each song from another, and I know almost all riffs, etc, by heart. I can't do any of that with DM, because the riffs just don't have the same OOMPH and dont dig themselves into your brain like they used to.

/2c

Proud Atheist - If you are an Atheist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Atheists are on ScoreHero!
muna  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only heard a few songs from the album, but it definitely sounds like they are starting to make a comeback from that "album" that was known as St. Anger.

Edit: and to me, "The Day that Never Comes" is right up there with ES, MoP, One, and AJFA. It has a very memorable, but simple tapping section in the solo and I have only heard it twice, but I already feel like I know the entire song.

Last edited by muna on Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Graf  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0wnd1zzl3d wrote:
See, I have to disagree. None of the riffs get stuck in my head, or have the same oomph as MoP. Right now, try to hum or imagine the riff of a random song of the album. Can you? Maybe a few sections, but not the entire thing. They're not really memorable, and another problem with the album is that some songs aren't very distinguishable. I get songs confused with one another because they all sound so similar. With MoP or AJFA, I can tell each song from another, and I know almost all riffs, etc, by heart. I can't do any of that with DM, because the riffs just don't have the same OOMPH and dont dig themselves into your brain like they used to.

/2c

I disagree; I have had The Unforgiven III stuck in my head since I first heard it, not to mention My Apocalypse and Cyanide....this album is awesome! ALL of the songs are stuck in my head, and the only reason I can imagine not remembering the songs is that the album just came out, and we haven't listened to it enough to memorize every riff/lyric yet.

But hey, to each his own. I love this album nonetheless. I feel like Rickles nearly hit the nail on the head; especially that bit about musicians and how their music is usually repetition of a similar template, where areas Death Magnetic has varied songs, but with a more edgy, Metallica-of-the-past feel to it, avoiding the James-is-in-rehab....why? aspect that Saint Anger had.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0wnd1zzl3d wrote:

/2c

No i can't remember most of the riffs from this album, but that's because i haven't listened to it 800 times yet. I usually don't even like a new album on my first listen through. This was a rare occasion in which i was blown away first time.

I could also pick out each songs name out if i listen through like 3 more times. I think you will grow to like this album more as you get to know it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Graf and Rickles. There are some songs that you cant really remember the riffs to, but then again there are a couple of ones that just get stuck in your head because they are so epic!!

¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: SHELLSHOCKER987
R4G3  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the album today, and listened to it, and it was fucking amazing. I love it just as much as Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets. I can't wait till tomorrow so I can buy tickets for their show in Detroit!!!

Translation: Never changing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: aceofspades076
X28KillsLaterX  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this alum proves to me pretty much that metallica is done. theres nothing too shocking here, st anger was bad, and the only album that i really like was the and justice for all album. i dont like black album too much either, and every other album or so has one good song, but none of them were as good as the songs off and justice for all (except master of pupets which was pretty good).

from what ive heard i dont like this album to much.
SDoner8790  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X28KillsLaterX wrote:
this alum proves to me pretty much that metallica is done. theres nothing too shocking here, st anger was bad, and the only album that i really like was the and justice for all album. i dont like black album too much either, and every other album or so has one good song, but none of them were as good as the songs off and justice for all (except master of pupets which was pretty good).

from what ive heard i dont like this album to much.

You are not much of a fan if you only like one album from a band that has many. Sounds like to me that you were never big on metallica in the first place. I like the new album a lot. It's metallica. It may not be as good as RTL or MoP or the black album but I like it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy. titty Fu***ng god. this is epic.
but this really sucks, too. seeing as i like ALL the songs, yet can probably only fit one or two on my ipod

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im happy to say, since I got this album, my ear ache seems to have worsened. But it hurts so good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is gonna be awsome (even though I have got all the singles)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: