ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Category system

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CleverTangent  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Category system Reply with quote

Categories, if done right, can be an extremely powerful tool for navigation. Rkcr has been working on creating categories and populating them, and I've been mainly populating categories up to this point.

It's extremely important in my opinion that we develop a coherent category tree before we begin to populate lots of categories.

I've created a flowchart for my proposed category tree; the idea is to be able to quickly and efficiently find exactly what you're looking for, without having to sift through the search function and be able to find other similar articles.

Due to the massive size of the image (1079 x 731), I'll just link to the chart:

Chart

Most of these categories exist already. However, I've proposed a few "branch" categories connecting the more specific categories to the broader ones (such as CategoryInfo and CategoryMods). I also split a few categories (such as CategoryGHDLC and CategoryRBDLC) so that desired information may be found quicker.

A great category system will have no articles in the branch categories at all. All articles should in the lowest level of the hierarchy, sort of like a giant polytomous key. The higher level categories should only contain other categories, so a user can navigate to what exactly they're looking for, starting very broad and ending very specific.

Comments? Ideas?
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this proposal.

Quote:
A great category system will have no articles in the branch categories at all. All articles should in the lowest level of the hierarchy, sort of like a giant polytomous key. The higher level categories should only contain other categories, so a user can navigate to what exactly they're looking for, starting very broad and ending very specific.

Agreed. However, with this in mind, the Technical category seems pretty redundant with it being the only child of the Software category.
CleverTangent  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already noticed that I've forgotten stuff on my diagram:

Under the "CategoryGuitarHeroSongs" and "CategoryRockBandSongs", I forgot to add On-Disc song categories.

Under "CategoryGuitarHero", I forgot to add "CategoryCharacters".

Regarding CategoryTechnical, I left it where it is because CategoryTechnical already exists, and contains one page: CustomSongs. I can't think of any other children for CategorySoftware, so mayby CustomSongs could be transferred to CategorySoftware.
rkcr  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some critiques:

I don't think CategoryHardware should be under CategoryMods, since CategoryHardware is mostly un-modified stuff so far. CategoryTechnical doesn't necessarily denote modification, either.

Nor do I think that mods in general should be a child of Scorehero - we invent many, but that doesn't mean that conceptually we are the parent of a modification. Along the same lines, CategoryEvents probably shouldn't be under CategoryScorehero because not all events are run by Scorehero.

CategoryInfo seems to be a redundant one to me - isn't everything on a wiki info?
CleverTangent  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkcr wrote:
I don't think CategoryHardware should be under CategoryMods, since CategoryHardware is mostly un-modified stuff so far. CategoryTechnical doesn't necessarily denote modification, either.

Good points. Maybe a split Hardware category would be better suited as a child of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band categories?

I'm not sure what to do with CategoryTechnical, other than delete it and put CustomSongs under CategorySoftware.

rkcr wrote:
Nor do I think that mods in general should be a child of Scorehero - we invent many, but that doesn't mean that conceptually we are the parent of a modification. Along the same lines, CategoryEvents probably shouldn't be under CategoryScorehero because not all events are run by Scorehero.

I don't really know what parents Mods and Events would be under, if not ScoreHero.

rkcr wrote:
CategoryInfo seems to be a redundant one to me - isn't everything on a wiki info?

Yeah. I was having trouble naming that category, so I just went with "Info". I toyed with "Guides", which might be a better name in the long run since ImaCarrot has indicated that most guides will be moved over to the wiki.
rkcr  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if we should splitting hardware down the middle at all. It's just as important in my mind to keep things simple as well as organized; I'm afraid that too much specification may prove problematic. Along those same lines, do we need separate categories for each games' songs? I'm torn on this one, since it might be useful, but on the other hand it's not like there aren't other places one can look up this information (for example, the article names on all songs already denote what game they are for...).

CategoryTechnical could probably be better suited as CategorySoftware. We could also merge CategoryUtilities into CategorySoftware. I'm not sure if this would make it too general or not.

RE Mods and events. I would think that Mods could go under games, since it's all about game modification. Events can be a category in itself for now.

CategoryGuides sounds good to me for people who start moving their guides to the wiki.

Also, one last thing, it might be worth it to get Freemind and make a mind map article of the category organization.
tma  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could CategoryTechnical be used for things like information relating to how the scoring systems work, or proofing information? Or specifications on the file formats? I'm not sure that technical information on the game are all necessarily related to "software" ...
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Wiki Brainstorming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: