ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Ideas for Song Pages

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phoenix654Rocker  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Ideas for Song Pages Reply with quote

Aside from the information boxes, the individual song pages look really blank. Maybe we should throw some information about said songs up there, like what album they're off of, what movies or TV shows they might have appeared in, maybe even complete lyrics for each of the Rock Band tracks. Just a though I had, anyone else agree?

Also, navigating the Wiki is a bit tough at the moment. We need more links on the main page to things like the game mechanics and techniques definitions. Just felt like casting in my two cents. Thanks for all the Star Power/Overdrive paths... it's really helping my scores.
Rock and Roll it will survive....

*Awesome Guitar Solo*

-AC/DC, Rock Gods
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Phoenix654
footballtom3685  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the song pages, they are indeed a little blank at the moment. Of course, the wiki is only 3 days in so you can't expect too much at this point. I went ahead and put the album and artist for every song in GH:OT, since it's a less popular game and I figured less people would be inclined to do it. (and it's only 26 songs ) It would be great if other people could start adding to the song pages, even if they don't have the time/want to take the time to add some category to every song for a game. I like the song trivia (what movies, TV shows it has been in) idea, but lyrics will not work for every RB song.

And about the navigation, I totally agree. The homepage could use a few more links, but more importantly it would be awesome if people started to use wikilinks as much as possible. I went ahead and added a wikilink to every song on the Abbreviation page, and it was obviously very tedious. So instead of one person going through 100+ links on a page, it would be great if people could just start adding links to their edits anywhere they can. Even words/abbreviations like "FC" and "Guitar Hero" have articles on the wiki, so as annoying as it may be it's really helpful to link them.

Also, I don't know how feasible it would be but if somebody would be able to write a program/figure out a way with a text editor to automatically replace things like Bodhisattva or Ramblin' Man with [[Song_RB2_Bodhisattva]] and [[Song_RB2_RamblinMan]] (are those even right? lol) that would be amazing.
ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footballtom3685 wrote:
Also, I don't know how feasible it would be but if somebody would be able to write a program/figure out a way with a text editor to automatically replace things like Bodhisattva or Ramblin' Man with [[Song_RB2_Bodhisattva]] and [[Song_RB2_RamblinMan]] (are those even right? lol) that would be amazing.

You don't even need a separate text editor for that. The edit page has a "find" function, which has a "find and replace" function built into it. It makes you confirm at every instance, which is very helpful in case there's already a formatted WikiLink (So it doesn't change [[Song_GH2_Woman Woman]] to [[Song_GH2_Song_GH2_Woman Song_GH2_Woman]] - I've seen that happen before... it isn't pretty).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredvonKarma wrote:
footballtom3685 wrote:

You don't even need a separate text editor for that. The edit page has a "find" function, which has a "find and replace" function built into it. It makes you confirm at every instance, which is very helpful in case there's already a formatted WikiLink (So it doesn't change [[Song_GH2_Woman Woman]] to [[Song_GH2_Song_GH2_Woman Song_GH2_Woman]] - I've seen that happen before... it isn't pretty).
Well, this is helpful for a page that repeats the same song a lot (and yes I had that happen to me too ) but for a page that lists a bunch of different songs only once or twice it really isn't that useful. What I'm proposing would be a program that could look through each page and automatically know what to replace every song with. (And in the case of a song in 2 games it could either ask the user which one or default to one or the other). So for a page like the abbreviation page, or for instance the RB2 challenge setlists, it could switch everything to wikilinks within 1 or 2 minutes.

I'm in a Computer Science class right now (APCS) so I know a little java but I doubt I'd be able to do something like this, although I would assume it's possible.
dps2002  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've been doing for the song pages I've edited is as follows:

If I know the artist and album from which the song came, my edit starts with that, along with the release year of the album (if I know it). I then try to give some facts about the song, like what track it is on the given album.

Most of my recent song page edits have dealt with the structure of the song, what type of music it is, and how the charts reflect the song. If there are any notable parts of the song (i.e. crazy solo, recognizable verse), I'll point them out.

If I have any opinions on the difficulty of the song, I'll put them in as well. However, whenever I reference my opinion, I make sure to reference myself in the song title, so that it's my opinion and not that of Scorehero. I do this because my particular opinion of a song's difficulty may be different than that of the entire community.

The best example of what I do for a song edit would be for "One" off of GH3. It pretty much puts into form everything I've described above, and I feel it's a good template for what a song information page should be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Wiki Brainstorming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: