ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Tuning up my Double-Range Freedom V

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sprouticus  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Tuning up my Double-Range Freedom V Reply with quote

This past Christmas, I was on the hunt for a new guitar controller. I decided on the new Double-Range Freedom V for two reasons-

1. Wireless is cool
2. The solo buttons gimmick sold me.

After a delay in the order, I finally recieved the guitar in late January. After using it for a few months, I definitely don't like it nearly as much as my original Gibson. The main problems are that the strum bar is extremely noisy compared to the Gibson, and you have to push down the fret buttons alot deeper, thus, leading to hand cramps and overall a poorer performance.

So, after discovering you guys' awesome hardware mods, I've decided to not give up on my Freedom V and tune it up the best I can. I think I'm the first person to open up a Double Range V on here, so, I will post pictures and stuff as my modding takes its course.

Modifications (bold ones are done!):

1. Replace the studs for the straps (cheap and they get in my way, since I never use the strap). Will replace later with some badass spikes of some sort.
2. Give entire guitar a nice new coat of black
3. Paint a design on the faceplate (undecided what it will be)
4. Paint every button red
5. Make the fret buttons less deep
6. Quiet down the strum bar

Pictures:

The axe. I love the look of it, and prefer the location of the Start/Select buttons. Makes star power a bit easier.

The buttons. The round solo buttons are pretty nice, but take some getting used to.

Inside the belly of the beast! Pretty similar to the Gibson, if I'm not mistaken!

The circuitry appears the same for the buttons as well, except doubled.

Modification 1 - Removal of the studs

All in all, it looks the same, but the studs no longer being there is nice for me, since they were cheap and disgusting overall. I never use the strap, so, no huge loss. I think it looks alot better already! With the spikes it will be even cooler!

grenamuhnades  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pretty simle mods, but they do work. I've done the same ones to my guitar and I like it a lot better.

Good luck!
sprouticus  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the paint job is complete, and I'm very very pleased with it!

JOHN FRUSICANTE TRIBUTE!

I discovered a few interesting things too! The fret buttons are handled differently from the Gibson's buttons. Check out this picture-

The two little nubs on each button push down on the circuitry. So, I couldn't make the button pushes any less deep Oh well! That's what troubleshooting is for!

I'll keep this thread updated with more findings as I try more stuff to it!
grenamuhnades  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is happening to cause your deep buttons is that when your pressing, it is bending the fret button circuit board. (Atleast thats what was happening on mine.) So what you need to do it get some card board, (thickness depends on how deep you want your buttons to be) and you need to tape or glue it or somehow attach it to the back of your circuit board.

I'll post a pic of mine in a few minutes.

EDIT: Lmao, I opened up the wrong guitar, but whatever you'll get the idea.

Put the cardboard roughly around where the red bar is. Although your circuit board may be different so you might have to tweak it.
ArtesEscuras  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loooveth the pain job! I'd like to know how it handles though; with the extra fret range and the wireless-ness. I've been wanting this guitar, but don't have the money Ah well, keep up the great work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: