ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
A serious question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxtimetokillxx  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: A serious question. Reply with quote

So I play expert drums, im not that great but i can last through the songs, so i go to play the drums and i notice my drumsticks are missing! So i said, oh well, and I decided to play with my Fingers to see how funny it would look, and i noticed, i can play a million times better with my fingers rather than the drumsticks, 16th note rolls are a breeze with my fingers compared to using the sticks when i miss a million of them. The actual question is, am I allowed to use my fingers instead of drumsticks for scores?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: XxTimetoKillxX PSN Name: XxTimetokillxX
Ouzo  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you're using some part of your body to hit the notes, anything is fair game as far as we're concerned.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How wouldn't that be cheating for drums though? Think about it. Like the OP said, if there's a roll, then you can only use two things to hit the notes in the roll. The sticks.

If there is a roll and you use your fingers, you can use all 4 of your fingers on each hand, meaning you can hit 8 notes within an incredibly small time window instead of how long it would take with actual sticks.

I understand how it isn't cheating with guitar to submit scores and stuff, but for drums I think it's way too much of an advantage for really quick parts seeing as where you have 8 tiny drumsticks. 10 if you use your thumbs...

I unno, my two cents, but I just think it's unfair.
Sczee  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VooDooRex wrote:
How wouldn't that be cheating for drums though? Think about it. Like the OP said, if there's a roll, then you can only use two things to hit the notes in the roll. The sticks.

If there is a roll and you use your fingers, you can use all 4 of your fingers on each hand, meaning you can hit 8 notes within an incredibly small time window instead of how long it would take with actual sticks.

I understand how it isn't cheating with guitar to submit scores and stuff, but for drums I think it's way too much of an advantage for really quick parts seeing as where you have 8 tiny drumsticks. 10 if you use your thumbs...

I unno, my two cents, but I just think it's unfair.

Unfair is not really the right word since pretty much everyone has 10 fingers so anyone could do the same thing as the OP but you are right in that it shouldn't be allowed. It is a completely different skill set than playing with drum sticks and has its own advantages and disadvantages so allowing scores made this way to compete with those done with drum sticks is not right.

I agree with VooDooRex, this shouldn't be allowed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like it would be rather hard to use all your fingers on those little pads unless you're incredibly well-coordinated or have remarkably small hands.

It also seems like sticks would be faster, since if you have either decent pads or add-ons the rebound for sticks actually EXISTS, as opposed to fingers which have this annoying tendency to be controlled by you instead of the laws of physics. I vote fair.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
VooDooRex  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can also wrap a rubber band around the green fret on a guitar but that's cheating and considered unfair. Haha. That's what I meant by unfair, not that it would be unfair to every other drummer, just the fact that you need to play a guitar with your fingers or a pick, drums you play with sticks, not your fingers. So everyone on drums gets to drum with their fingers, watch how easy run to the hills becomes on RB...

1= Right stick 2 = left stick (Only because I'm right handed)

Now, if you do it with fingers..

Purple = left hand fingers 1=index 2= middle
Red = right hand fingers 1= index

See what I mean? you no longer need to even move your hands or anything. You just tap your fingers...
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that's only if your pads are EXTRAORDINARILY sensitive. I doubt my pads would pick up more than every fourth hit if I tried to play like that; my fingers just don't have the leverage to hit the pads hard enough that the game would register it. It's an interesting idea, but I don't see how it's any easier to play with your hands instead of sticks.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
VooDooRex  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, seeing as where GH:WT has that drum tuner thing for sensitivity, it would be incredibly easy to do. RB is a different story, but still.

Also, think about when you first played Guitar Hero, I'm sure your fingers weren't as fast as they are now, meaning if you kept doing it with the drums, your fingers would get stronger and faster eventually and you could do it better.

I'm just saying, Drums were meant to be played with drumsticks, guitar is meant to be played with fingers.
GRYBOPandRYBOGP  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but the same thing could be used to say about tapping. You are using your strumming hand to fret, something which was not intended by the people who made the game. And you can play the guitar with any part of your body according to the "What is considered cheating?" thread. I think the same should apply to drums also. There are also many disadvantages to using fingers also. They don't really bounce, they are tiring on your fingers, and sensitivity issues also apply. I could also say the same with previous controller playing. Someone also said that they used the buttons on a 360 drumset for the fills. It doesn't work on the Wii, but that's why we have different game system scores anyways. [/RANT]
The way you spelled Metallica reminds me of the way Lynyrd Skynyrd was spelled on the cover of GH:M originally.. >_>
ohh noes! typing error, someone call the police!!
Me - "Hello, 911. I'm calling on the behalf of Lynyrd Skynyrd. Neversoft has failed to spell the name correctly on the game, Guitar Hero: Metallica. This will effect their image and possibly reduce sales for the band. I suggest suing the company."
Police - "Who the fuck do you think you are? WMG? Get off our line."
xxtimetokillxx  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im going with Ouzo, i dont consider this unfair in any way because anyone else can do it if they want, something really unfair would be like building a robot to hit the drums at a set speed (which would be pretty difficult O.o)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: XxTimetoKillxX PSN Name: XxTimetokillxX
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't cheating at all. You are allowed to use your body in any way, shape, or form and it is not cheating. Yes, like someone has already mentioned, playing with your fingers has its advantages and disadvantages, just like playing with a regular controller on GH3 as opposed to a guitar. Regular controllers are allowed and it's fairly similar to using your fingers to play the drums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: