ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
New WT drummer from a RL drumming background.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PotatoHandle  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: New WT drummer from a RL drumming background. Reply with quote

Heya guys and gals, after waiting so long to get my plastic drum kit, I'm finally ready to give it a bash. I've played through a couple of venues on expert (Mostly 3-4 stars ATM) and I've got a couple of beginner-ey questions.

Firstly, is playing through expert a good way to start? Generally, the basic beats (Stuff with just bass hi-hat/ride and snare) I'm fine with for the most part. But fills and stuff are really tricky for me because I'm still at the stage where I'm learning to associate gems to pads. Should I keep plugging away at expert, or drop back to hard/medium? Usually I can pass songs first try, but it can sometimes take up to 3 or 4, and I'm only doing the first couple of venues ATM.

Secondly the bass pedal is too light for me, as I rest my foot on the pedal in between hits, which causes double-hits very, very often. Is there any tricks/techniques for this or is it a simple case of "Don't rest your damn foot on the pedal."?

In the Canberra area? PM me and we'll try and organise a get-together for a few games.

My Youtube Channel. - Random gameplay videos of all sorts, including some RB2 and GH3 customs, and some other random Jazz.

PotatoHandle: Getting things done quickly, no matter how long it takes.
burningtoad  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expert is fine if you're actually trying to read the notes and not just "jamming it out".

If you want to rest your foot, just don't lift it up until the next note comes.
A cool guy wrote:
"[R]eally clever ... Charted everything in the name of fun, but never too absurdly."

We had the only score!
PhatTrumpet  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started Rock Band on hard just because reading the note chart was confusing, especially bass notes. It's all about recognizing note patterns, and Hard is a pretty good place to learn most of them.

And yeah, just leave your foot down between hits... saves a lot of energy.
Bass:      9,226,503 [58 GS, 57 FC]  13,319,824 [83 GS, 83 FC]  22,546,327 [141GS, 140FC]
Drums:    11,105,579 [57 GS, 37 FC]  15,512,780 [76 GS, 36 FC]  26,618,359 [133GS, 73 FC]
Vocals:   11,525,519 [58 GS, 58 FC]  17,302,340 [84 GS, 84 FC]  28,827,859 [142GS, 142FC]
All-Inst: 42,269,027 [231GS, 206FC]  61,262,972 [326GS, 271FC] 103,531,999 [557GS, 477FC]
Rock Band Accomplishments Thread | Guitar Hero Accomplishments Thread
hydrapower  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Hard for now, the basic nature of the charts stay the same on most songs but they remove some of the trickier parts. It will help you overcome the initial awkwardness of your arms and brain getting confused when you see a tricky pattern.

I rest my foot on the pedal between hits, and don't experience any double-hits. It may be a sensitivity issue with your hardware. If it continues to be pervasive, check this thread about possibly obtaining a USB-Midi cable with which to take advantage of the free drum tuning software provided by Red Octane. Turning down your bass pedal's sensitivity would probably help in this case.

Good luck!

Now Available in e-book format! Book 1 Book 2
Otharia - Science Fiction/Fantasy from some aspiring writers, check it out! Updates weekly!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: