ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Which is more important?...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Rating or Ranking?
Star rating
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
Community ranking
76%
 76%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 26

Azuarc  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Which is more important?... Reply with quote

More important isn't really the right phrase, so much as more of a means of identifying an accomplishment, but that wouldn't fit in a subject line or grab attention.

Being fairly new to the site, and not being an avid 5-star general, I'm looking to improve my scores, but the question becomes: what do I focus on? I'm noticing there are basically 4 kinds of songs...

1) Songs I do well on in general
2) Songs I have 5-starred, but am well behind the community curve
3) Songs I haven't 5-starred, but I compare respectably
4) Songs that simply need work

There's not much to focus on with #1 yet, and #4 is the songs that I am simply not ready to do considerably better in. (I can barely beat Bark at the Moon, much less play it for score.) But out of the second and third categories, which is more meaningful to work on? Is it better to focus on getting 5 stars on everything, or songs where my position in the community would suggest I have farther to go there?

For example, and mind you I'm 357th overall:
Type 1) Sedated is #223, with 277k. Just fine for now.
Type 2) My best overall ranking is on Farewell Myth, at #173. It's only a 4-star ranking, though. (166k)
Type 3) I have a 5-star rating on Smoke on the Water, but it's my second-worst ranking at #564.
Type 4) Frankenstein is a dismal #566, but I'm content with that for now.

I'm at a stage where I can easily sit down with pretty much any song and make *some* improvement to it, but I don't play so much I can just say "well, play them all!" I realize what I'm asking is an opinionated stance, but do you think it's better to focus on those elusive star rankings to drive you, or look at your position within the community and feed off the potential rivalries?
IEatGlue  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my brain itches

after reading that

Genga  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last I checked, I was 151st, this is me basically making the best I can get. I If i make any improvement, it will be by a slight 500 points or such. When I FC'd Unsung the other day, I was overjoyed, but most things I get about 20,000 under or just slightly over. The only way I can improve is by 5starring the other songs, but thats just constant practice, and I think ill end up concentrating on something else which isnt good :/

Best thing really would be to keep practicing at it. Some songs Im really down low score with, ILRR for example; ive FC'd that song, but im still low in the rankings. Other songs like Unsung for example, Im in the top 50 (15th last time I seen) so I probably wont play that song for a while and concentrate on ILRR more, while also trying CFH and Frankenstein..

Hope you do well, and who knows, you could overtake me soon
achat  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me, it wasn't so much a need to boost scores, but to work on skill in general. for example: increasing a bark at the moon score from 150,000 to 200,000 might seem like a great jump, but how productive is it really? the thing i would suggest is just to play songs with sections that are a bit out of playable range, and simply work on those songs until you can play that specific section. once you learn how to play pieces of some songs, you can more easily learn slightly more difficult sections on other songs. eventually you will be able to FC more and more songs by learning the most difficult portion of the song. that's how it worked for me. does it make sense?
Fly1ngV  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me, after i got guitar god on expert. all i really have left to do is become the absolute best player that i can be. I'm working on my hard scores right now, I'm about 23k shy from my current goal of 10 mil total score, but i'm sitting pretty in 29th overall place on hard. Afterwards i plan to work on making my expert scores better and becoing a better player overall because i still suck horribly at solos and am in dire need to get those solos on expert if i have any hope of getting better. I also need to work on SP strategies, which i struggle with because i don't read charts like some of the really great players do.
rabies  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked on star power strategies first...looking over the charts...getting an optimum path...then trying to execute on it. Maybe I am wierd for that. I hated the thought that I would play a song well, but my score was not all it could be because I had not a clue on how to use star power in the song....and I had free time sitting at a desk but not being able to play guitar hero...so mapping star powers became a side task (at lunch during work..or during slow moments at work).

Now that I have all the star powers mapped out, its just a mattter of spending an hour or two a day to play songs and execute the star path...and work on difficult areas. I don't have to think about when/where to use star power, cause that is already established...I can just concentrate on playing the song without messing up. When I get a good run, it does not surprise me to see that my score is often fairly high up on the boards. I've held over a half-dozen #1 scores on hard...which then probably clued Echelar in to do better on the song... *grumble*

I went through hard first..then hit a bit of a wall..so for the past couple weeks I have been going through expert..and have shot up over 50 places overall..and I still have about 10 songs I have not tackled yet..so I figure those should be good for another 10-20 places.
JHetfield0816  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

achat wrote:
for me, it wasn't so much a need to boost scores, but to work on skill in general. for example: increasing a bark at the moon score from 150,000 to 200,000 might seem like a great jump, but how productive is it really? the thing i would suggest is just to play songs with sections that are a bit out of playable range, and simply work on those songs until you can play that specific section. once you learn how to play pieces of some songs, you can more easily learn slightly more difficult sections on other songs. eventually you will be able to FC more and more songs by learning the most difficult portion of the song. that's how it worked for me. does it make sense?

way to be, achat. i totally agree with you..i feel it's much more productive to finally learn to nail the YBY RR part of CFH expert than to come up with new star power strategies...not giving up and trying to learn things that are just out of your playable range is much better idea, i feel.

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
Echelar  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabies wrote:
I've held over a half-dozen #1 scores on hard...which then probably clued Echelar in to do better on the song... *grumble*

The best way to tell when your path isn't optimal is when someone beats you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echelar wrote:

The best way to tell when your path isn't optimal is when someone beats you.

My problem has become..when you beat me..but by just a little..I am not 100% sure if you chose a better star path...or we have the same exact path..and you are just better at squeezing a note or two here and there to make up the difference. I think the close ones are the latter - I have a terrible time making my star power activate exactly when I want it to.
Do you tilt or use selecT?
joker  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope i'm not lagging in asking this, but does anyone know what the maximum score total for expert? if not, is there any way to find out? there has to be an absolute point where you maximize every point out of every song (100% all songs, perfect SP technique)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC is working on a program to determine the perfect star path, so once that's done we can find out the best possible score. Although it may take awhile.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Which is more important?... Reply with quote

Azuarc wrote:

I'm at a stage where I can easily sit down with pretty much any song and make *some* improvement to it, but I don't play so much I can just say "well, play them all!"

I would suggest playing songs that you think are fun and challenging. Don't worry about scores to much and just improve your skill. I dunno, thats what I did. When I felt that I improved enough I would just shatter all my other scores.
Azuarc  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Which is more important?... Reply with quote

Suitata wrote:
I would suggest playing songs that you think are fun and challenging. Don't worry about scores to much and just improve your skill. I dunno, thats what I did. When I felt that I improved enough I would just shatter all my other scores.

Thanks for the advice, (everyone.) In response to this quote, I find I get the most fun out of seeing some kind of progress, assuming I don't absolutely loathe the song. And there are a few I do utterly poorly at compared to others of similar difficulty, like Killer Queen, even though I might enjoy listening to the song. I have my favorites in both regards, or at least I *had* my favorites, but the more I play these sorts of games - I actually bought a PS2 so I could play Amplitude - the more I come to enjoy most any of the songs in them. So I would argue that something that compels me to jump around the set list without being too contrived (I will do ILRR today, Sedated tomorrow, TK65 the day after that...) and that lets me see some forward momentum of some kind will make the game most fun for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: