ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
I'm actually surprised- couple questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mninp  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: I'm actually surprised- couple questions Reply with quote

I was at my friend's house yesterday because he has the whole WT kit and I only have guitar. I played one song on the drums on EXPERT and I passed it. Then I started an expert career and I beat the first gig. I have never actually sat down and played with a real drum set ever, and I have never played anything above medium on Rock Band drums at my friends house(even then I would BARELY play it). I never knew I could do expert. I always thought I sucked at drums and expert was something I had to move up to. But within 10 mins of playing, I tried Trapped Under Ice on expert and I made it 47 percent through! I was so surprised. When I started the songs it was like I already had the ability to go crazy on the drums and keep a steady, fast rythym. I was pretty much in the green the entire verse riff. But I failed in the bridge because it got like wtf fast and the rythm changed.

Does this mean I would be good at real life drums? I love music and I play real guitar, real bass, and keyboard. I never really played drums because I always thought I sucked at keeping that kind of rythym. Is GHWT drums like a real life drum set or is it a whole nother story altogether? If I can learn expert on GH drums that fast, then do I have a natural ability to be able to play the drums in real life?
hydrapower  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! I would say easy there, cowboy. The first gig consists of extremely simple songs, and Trapped Under Ice is a somewhat simple song just sped up really fast. I'm glad you had a good time though.

Try some more technical/limb independence songs and see how well it goes.

As far as whether it's like real drums, yes in a way, the same sort of techniques and skill sets apply, it's just a very simplified and compressed form of real drums. I've never sat at a real set but I bet if I did I could at least play something/keep a beat.

Have fun!

Now Available in e-book format! Book 1 Book 2
Otharia - Science Fiction/Fantasy from some aspiring writers, check it out! Updates weekly!
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha yea Video game drumming =/= real life drumming. You played like 5 songs and you're already thinking about being a very good real life drummer, lol. I mean it's good to have high hopes, but don't expect a whole lot when you go play on a real drum set. Go play some La Bamba on WT and let us know how you do. That's one of the more complex but not insanely difficult songs I would say.

But I'm very very good on drums in WT and RB2 yet if I get to a set, the only thing I could do that sounds good would be a hi-hat and snare beat. I haven't really tried on a rel set since playing WT, but just don't expect to be anywhere close to being good on real drums without doing some major practice on a real set.

However, if you label each thing on the drum set with a corresponding color and then have a song playing in front of you, any good WT drummer will be able to play it fairly well on a real drum set. Take it away and you probably won't have a clue what you were just doing. This is what happened to me with Dani California a long time ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've beat RB/RB2/GHWT on expert drums, and am not good at RL drums (trying to learn).

Limb independence is a start, but playing without a TV to keep the beat and tell you what notes to play is something completely different.

Adding a hi-hat pedal is also a huge adjustment.
italianator7  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I actually have had a surprisingly easy time transferring my RB/GHWT drumming to a real kit. Not that I'm great or anything, but I was able to play pretty complex rhythms and stuff without a ton of practice. I have played a LOT more fake drums than you though, so you probably would have a harder time, but if you can play any expert drums that quickly I would be willing to bet that you have some natural ability that would allow you to pick it up faster than many people. But I do agree that the hi-hat pedal is a pretty big adjustment, and it is what I am focusing on learning the most right now.
CryofthePlanet  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no virtuoso of the drums, but I'm not bad. Not bad being things like I beat every RB1 song on X drums, GS'd 25+, 5*d all but like 4. On the WT side, I'm going for the first (documented) FC of Mr. Crowley on 360 Expert WT drums. The only hard parts are the rolls and not choking.

Anyway, let me just say this: REAL DRUMS ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Sure the WT set is more realistic, but it's still vastly changed on drums. One note is that the snare drum isn't usually on your left, but rather between your legs/knees, and...it's just a lot different, like hugely.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nuku  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play drums on hard/medium but IMO the drums in GH/RB can rly help people who try real drums. It allows you to develop two skills i find essencial for drums: rythm and endurance. I also think it could be something drum teachers should try with their students
ABee1010  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it could be a good tool for drum teachers, especially if they have an E-kit setup. Playing the game on an a realistic E-Kit would help you develop real drumming technique very effectively I think...
quade92  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the WT side, I'm going for the first (documented) FC of Mr. Crowley on 360 Expert WT drums. The only hard parts are the rolls and not choking.

It's been FC'ed by Me(multiple times), TH3 R3APER and Sulfurus I believe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Quade92
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: