ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Going from GH drums to real drums? Does it help?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BootsMegamix  

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormrider2112 wrote:
davidshek wrote:
Stormrider2112 wrote:
I know great guitarists who can't read music (hell, most blues and rock players know keys and a few scales). If your intent is to have fun in a small band, you don't need to know much beyond quarter, eighth, and sixteenth notes and use a metronome to stay in time. Yeah, if you want to become a percussion major, you would need to know all the rudiments and be able to read sheet music, but I doubt most anyone here is going for that angle.

If your goal is just to play in a cover band and play other people's song, sure, your statements hold true. But if you ever want to write your own drum tracks to original music, you are gonna need a hell of a lot more than just being able to stay in time.

Unless, of course, you're in AC/DC.
I'd disagree...if it sounds good, it's good...you don't need to know what it's called to be able to play it.

Except AC/DC doesn't sound good
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BootsMegamix wrote:
Stormrider2112 wrote:
davidshek wrote:
Stormrider2112 wrote:
I know great guitarists who can't read music (hell, most blues and rock players know keys and a few scales). If your intent is to have fun in a small band, you don't need to know much beyond quarter, eighth, and sixteenth notes and use a metronome to stay in time. Yeah, if you want to become a percussion major, you would need to know all the rudiments and be able to read sheet music, but I doubt most anyone here is going for that angle.

If your goal is just to play in a cover band and play other people's song, sure, your statements hold true. But if you ever want to write your own drum tracks to original music, you are gonna need a hell of a lot more than just being able to stay in time.

Unless, of course, you're in AC/DC.
I'd disagree...if it sounds good, it's good...you don't need to know what it's called to be able to play it.

Except AC/DC doesn't sound good

That's a matter of opinion, but either way. I believe you're right. You definitely need to know more than keeping time for most bands that you want to cover (of course, stuff as simple as the White Stripes and AC/DC excepted).

Then of course there's stuff like Liquid Tension Experiment and Between the Buried and Me. Where after 14 years of drumming and music research most of it is still beyond me.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
HenryXCIV  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much copying what other people have said.
Coordination and, even durability in playing real drums will have improved when you can play hard songs on Expert on RB or GH.
But the rhythm won´t improve, at all.
I have a friend that plays Expert drums on Rockband. Lots of fc´s and stuff,
but when he plays real drums... the rhythm ain´t very great at all.
WarlordTm  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that playing drums on Guitar Hero really helps when you decide to play real drums (on most facets), it probably helps your feeling for rhythm as well.

I myself have absolutely no experience on real drums and yet, after about 5,5 months, I have 50 FC's (including B.Y.O.B.!) and I'm in 14th place over all platforms with expert drum career score (according to the guitarhero.com leaderboards), leaving many real-time drummers behind me. Maybe I just have a knack for playing drums, but it's probably Guitar Hero that taught me the basics of drumming.

I'm pretty good with my hands (I can play about 15 notes per second if I really try), but my major flaw is my foot's speed, I can only keep up with Trapped Under Ice on a very good day (it's probably a technique thing, I don't really get tired). Practice makes perfect I guess.

Anyway, I'll be taking my first drumming lessons in a while and I'll let everyone know if playing the Guitar Hero drums really gave me an advantage at learning how to play real drums.
dAgnArUs  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no drum kit at home, I have never had a single drum lesson before, I have never even touched a drum set. I play GH drums on expert for 4 months. A few weeks ago, right before summer vacation, a band at my school was playing this song (I believe it was Heartbreaker) and the drummer couldn't get down the pattern (lol loser) (was for music class, he chose it while he has no sense of rythym at all).
I taught him how to do it, he asked my how long I played the drums, and I said that I didn't and that I learnt everything from Guitar Hero.
He was obviously shocked, as was the rest of the band, the entire class, and even the teacher.

I lol'd when I came home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: