ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Hi-Hat disco beats on RB kit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richiebeebe  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Hi-Hat disco beats on RB kit? Reply with quote

I'm mainly a Rock Band player, so naturally I have a Rock Band (Beatles) kit.

Now when I play RB I have no problems with these kinds of rhythms, like Mr Brightside or Everlong etc. But put me on Guitar Hero and suddenly my hands go all crazy and stop working with the snare being on the left.

I am thoroughly enjoying Band Hero but it's killing me that I can't play songs like YMCA or Kung Fu Fighting without my brain freaking out, does anyone have any tips or tricks for this
ccmoose  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're on a stock kit, your options are rather limited. If the snare hits are only on counts 2 and 4, you could do paradiddles. You could play left-hand lead. Or you can do a ton of crosses. If the tempo isn't too fast, I would recommend just doing the crosses.

ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YMCA and Kung Fu Fighting are the easy ones :\

It'll be played LRLR, with bass hits on the left hand. But, there's little crossing in these songs, other than when there's a crash hit, in which case do

RLLRLRR then continue on. LRLR sticking picks back up on the last red

Whip It, is another story. Left flip makes it much easier--RLR sticking pretty much throughout the entire song.

Luckily, Band Hero songs don't suffer Everlong's syndrome, where you have to use RLLRLRR at high tempo and often. Rio is almost exclusively LRLR sticking, and isn't near as fast.

edit: forgot to mention, that YMCA is a LOT easier to think of it as a pattern of seven notes, then a bass hit. Then it becomes RLRLRLR. Emphasize the bass AFTER the last yellow. This really tripped me up on sightread and i only got 4**** on it. Few restarts on my second time picking it I FCed it with that knowledge

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
Deak2112  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you are talking about. I had this problem with Smoke on the Water. You could just start with a L stick but assuming you're right handed, it's hard to start with the non-dominant hand plus the bass notes will be on left sticks. I tried this and my mind just scrambled. I don't have that coordination. You could make use of double sticking so it's not just RLRL but bass beats would still be on L sticks sometimes and this is something that normal drummers can't do very well as compared to elite drummers.

I used the cross-under technique. It's kinda weird at first but you can get used to it. Bass notes are on R sticks, you start with a R stick so that part is natural. Just practice it some. The biggest risk is dropping one of your sticks, which I did alot at first, but then it's almost natural.

For lulz my Wiki and for My Youtube Channel

Free Bird since 11/9/2009
My only regret is that I only have one life to give for my Lord
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Deak2112
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: