ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
How do you activate star power without missing a note?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NitroCrash  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: How do you activate star power without missing a note? Reply with quote

I just got the WT drums today and I can only on medium. However, I'm having a really hard time with the SP activation. How the hell am I supposed to, in the middle of a drum pattern, go hit the 2 cymbal pads then come back over and hit the next drum note. I can only activate SP during a long pause section or sometimes on a foot pedal only note, otherwise I break my streak.
Songs 6*: 57/70 - Latest: Rock You Like A Hurricane - Best: Before I Forget
FCs: 16/70 - Latest: Helicopter - Best: Helicopter
Fannypack  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might of heard somewhere that they dont count the next note after the activation dont take me advise though im not 100%

Anyone want to 1v1 quickscopes/noscopes on mw2 (360) add my gt JesusHellz
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 090353049866
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty tricky to get down at first, but it's not as bad with the WT set to the RB ones.

There's a few things to take into consideration when you activate star power:
1.) Is it during a note?
2.) If so, what note are you activating on?
3.) and, how to actually hit it without breaking a streak?

1.) Well, this is pretty obvious, if it's not during a note, then just a casual hit of the cymbals will activate without worrying. Although, there's sometimes an exception (see 2.)

2.) This is where people are having the most trouble. In order to activate during a note, you have a few options. Easiest of them all being on a note that does not contain a or note. To do this, just hit in place of the note* and continue playing normally.

If the note you're activating on does contain a or note, then in order to successfully activate here, the trick is to hit the NON-charted note slightly before the charted note:

For example, if you're activating in the middle of

play it as

just slightly before the yellow.

Now, if you're trying to activate during a note, you CAN NOT activate here, doing so will just cause a miss.

* [if you're trying to get a 100%, activating star power over a note without hitting it results in a 99% with a note streak lower than the total notes in a song. Although going through more stats will display 100% for each section, it doesn't take into account the notes you let SP play for you. I wouldn't worry about this if you're a casual player though]

3.) I found that the easiest way to avoid breaking a streak is just to activate in place of that note, without worrying about doing it in between the previous note and the note you want to activate SP on.

Such as, the pattern

Instead of hastily doing:

Play:

Just remember, hit the orange slightly earlier.

Hope that helps.

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
NitroCrash  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks that makes a lot of sense. I still can't seem to figure out how to activate on a note containing yellow or orange, probably because I'm not quick enough, but at least I know how the system works.
Songs 6*: 57/70 - Latest: Rock You Like A Hurricane - Best: Before I Forget
FCs: 16/70 - Latest: Helicopter - Best: Helicopter
TheAftershock  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Rock Band Kit I just hit Yellow and Blue (On your WT kit it will be Yellow and POrange) Really hard. Although this makes no sense as to why this works for me because RB1 kits don't have velocity sensors.
Akaleth  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheAftershock wrote:
On my Rock Band Kit I just hit Yellow and Blue (On your WT kit it will be Yellow and POrange) Really hard. Although this makes no sense as to why this works for me because RB1 kits don't have velocity sensors.

GH activation doesn't take into account how hard you hit the pads. The only thing velocity sensors for WT do is give you extra points on the velocity notes and change the volume of any fills you do according to how hard you hit the pads. Activation only takes into account the two cymbal pads being hit simultaneously.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NitroCrash wrote:
Yeah, thanks that makes a lot of sense. I still can't seem to figure out how to activate on a note containing yellow or orange, probably because I'm not quick enough, but at least I know how the system works.

You don't really have to be all that quick about it. You can hit the non-charted note far in advance of the charted note as long as you still hit the charted note within it's timing window...
RndmPrsnViola95  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do is I only activate during yellows and oranges, and when one of those notes comes up, instead of hitting a yellow or an orange, I hit them both at the same time. Hope this helps.

SpoonPerson245  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your playing a simple rock beat

(Activate Here)
ironsalsa  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm by no means a great drum player, but the GHWT drums can be annoying.
My strategy (when it's not desperate survival mode) is to wait until I have full star power and then unload it at a nice easy rest, on beat. Otherwise, I figure I never get back the points I'd lose by breaking combo and maybe losing the beat.

And don't play fills two-handed or you will accidentally launch star power at the worst possible time. I have RB drums; I doubt WT drummers have this problem.

I've accidentally launched star power going from the yellow to the blue pad too fast with one stick. GRR. I wonder if anyone can pull that off with the WT cymbals
Marbler  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElementOfZero wrote:
For example, if you're activating in the middle of

play it as

just slightly before the yellow.

* [if you're trying to get a 100%, activating star power over a note without hitting it results in a 99% with a note streak lower than the total notes in a song. Although going through more stats will display 100% for each section, it doesn't take into account the notes you let SP play for you. I wouldn't worry about this if you're a casual player though]

This is only true in World Tour (or maybe Metallica, I've never played that), because in Smash Hits, 5, and Van Halen, it will actually hit the note late, and even under star power.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Marbler
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any non-charted note it hits under SP. And, that was written 6 months ago, when only WT and Metallica were out (I didn't have GHM at the time, or now. Although, it's the same as GHSH, GH5, BH, GHVH)

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
Marbler  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElementOfZero wrote:
Any non-charted note it hits under SP. And, that was written 6 months ago, when only WT and Metallica were out (I didn't have GHM at the time, or now. Although, it's the same as GHSH, GH5, BH, GHVH)
lol, not looking at the time the post was made ftl.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Marbler
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: