Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Looking for different metalcore bands.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GIRLintheFIRE  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point, but I don't agree with it. How can you like something if you don't know what you're liking? It's like choosing between green and blue, but you are colorblind.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIRLintheFIRE wrote:
I see your point, but I don't agree with it. How can you like something if you don't know what you're liking? It's like choosing between green and blue, but you are colorblind.

That's the point you're missing. You can like music even if you don't understand the theory behind everything you're liking. It's not like finding a person innocent or guilty. That requires knowledge. You could give someone who have never heard a song in their life some poppy Justin Bieber song and they could decide they like it. They don't have to understand for their liking to be warranted.

You can then give them a Converge ( ) song for example they could decide they don't like screaming and dislike it. They may not understand all the wonderful elements behind Converge's music, but they can decide they don't like it based off of hearing it.

I'm in agreement with Eastwinn here that you can't really have music be above anyone. It doesn't require understanding to like or dislike. Your color analogy doesn't really fit...
dabears116  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can understand music and still dislike, my point was though that someone who does not understand a type of music will almost always dislike it.

Forget that description then, I'm simply attempting to put the scenario in words of how increased exposure results in a better developed musical taste. Hopefully you guys understand that.

Some guy at my old school once wore a merzbow shirt to class so we all threw stones at him and kicked him in the head until he died lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DaBears116
GIRLintheFIRE  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:
GIRLintheFIRE wrote:

That's the point you're missing. You can like music even if you don't understand the theory behind everything you're liking. It's not like finding a person innocent or guilty. That requires knowledge. You could give someone who have never heard a song in their life some poppy Justin Bieber song and they could decide they like it. They don't have to understand for their liking to be warranted.

The reason mainstream is so popular is because it's so simple. Anyone can understand it, sing along to it, or whatever you want to it by listening to it maybe all of ONE time in total. The labels design it to be that way. It's easy to gain money like that.

Fugitive wrote:
You can then give them a Converge ( ) song for example they could decide they don't like screaming and dislike it. They may not understand all the wonderful elements behind Converge's music, but they can decide they don't like it based off of hearing it.

I'm in agreement with Eastwinn here that you can't really have music be above anyone. It doesn't require understanding to like or dislike. Your color analogy doesn't really fit...

My colors thing still fits. Say you take green and blue and make it gray scale. One will turn out a brighter shade of gray than the other. You can choose which one you like based on it being brighter or darker. Say it's relating to the vocals. Lighter means clean singing, darker means screaming. You can, in your scenario, choose to dislike the screaming vs the singing, but you can't dismiss the rest of the song based on that; that would be prejudice. Anything more would require breaking the song down into parts, saying you like whats going on with the drums here, etc. In effect that causes an understanding of what's going on.

Now depending on if you're ready to hear what you hear when you break it down is a whole new question. It's safe to assume that anyone that listens to purely radio music won't have a clue what's going on when they listen to Technical Deathmetal. 99999 times out of 100000, people will dismiss it as 'noise.' 7 out of 10 times if you walk the people through the necessary 'tiers of competence,' they will most likely like what they hear.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIRLintheFIRE wrote:
Now depending on if you're ready to hear what you hear when you break it down is a whole new question. It's safe to assume that anyone that listens to purely radio music won't have a clue what's going on when they listen to Technical Deathmetal. 99999 times out of 100000, people will dismiss it as 'noise.' 7 out of 10 times if you walk the people through the necessary 'tiers of competence,' they will most likely like what they hear.

Except they won't if it's not to their taste. I don't know why that doesn't even occur to people.

I've had a wine expert explain to me how to taste red wine and understand all the subtleties of it, but it still tastes fucking horrible to me.

(My first post of 2010, um, yay.)

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIRLintheFIRE wrote:
99999 times out of 100000, people will dismiss it as 'noise.' 7 out of 10 times if you walk the people through the necessary 'tiers of competence,' they will most likely like what they hear.

Source? Just kidding, there isn't one. ;)

I understand what you're saying. Really.

@ dabears - What is a "better defined musical taste"? That's the whole argument at hand. No taste is better than any other.

anyhow, I can easily see both sides of the argument. I used to not like indie rock (my favorite genre now) because I found the vocals whiny and annoying. With exposure and explanations I learned to appreciate and like it more.

That being said, I know people that have absolutely loved indie the first time I showed it to them.

Then again, none of those points prove the initial arguments at hand... that any type of music is above someone else. I wouldn't say indie is above anyone who dislikes it because they don't understand it. That would imply the music is better than the person. It's ridiculous. So I understand where both sides are coming from, but I can't get behind the idea that music is above some individuals.
Xcalibr  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Escape the Fate

I love all those bands, but I don't think the OP will like ADTR or EtF.

A Day to Remember isn't all that metal. Their older stuff is definitely heavier than their new stuff, but I don't think it can be classified as metal.

Escape the Fate isn't all that metal either. Their old stuff is closer than their new stuff (their new album I think could be classified as a punk album) and the OP might like that, but I would advise him NOT to listen to "This War Is Ours"

Ah, on the contrary, I do like Escape, although only there first album. This is a genre of music I like, considering Senses Fail is actually my favorite band ^_^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: