ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
A few more suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtherBill  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: A few more suggestions Reply with quote

-- Ability to sort by Rank on the Manage Scores screen (am I really that lazy?)

-- Ability to select a username and compare your scores to theirs.

-- Ability to click on a username (including your own) in the ranking lists to be directed to their "Accomplishments" pages (akin to a read-only version of the Manage Scores screens). This needn't be a full-blown "profile" page that users can edit--just make it tables of scores/ratings/etc.

I must admit, I never got sucked into the online scoring sites for DDR/IIDX/etc., but this really rocks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: A few more suggestions Reply with quote

OtherBill wrote:
but this really rocks.

Heh, pun intended?
JCirri  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtherBill wrote:

You actually can sort in Manage Scores, just click the column headings once ore twice or sort ascending or descending (maybe I should make these links more visible).

OtherBill wrote:
-- Ability to select a username and compare your scores to theirs.

Nice suggestion, I'll add this to my list of ideas.

OtherBill wrote:
-- Ability to click on a username (including your own) in the ranking lists to be directed to their "Accomplishments" pages (akin to a read-only version of the Manage Scores screens). This needn't be a full-blown "profile" page that users can edit--just make it tables of scores/ratings/etc.

I actually just finished a Browse Scores page that does exactly this. It will be available in a few minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCirri wrote:
OtherBill wrote:

You actually can sort in Manage Scores, just click the column headings once ore twice or sort ascending or descending (maybe I should make these links more visible).

Yes, but Rank isn't a sortable column. You can sort on song, score, rating, percent, and streak, but not Rank.

Matt wrote:
Heh, pun intended?

The pun is always intended. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, i definately love the browse scores page, thanks
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:20 AM): XD
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:35 AM): too bad your elbow doesnt have a finger to push select
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:57 AM): the next evolution of man : the elbow finger
JCirri  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtherBill wrote:
Yes, but Rank isn't a sortable column. You can sort on song, score, rating, percent, and streak, but not Rank.

This is true. It requires more effort and processing to be able to sort by rank, but I will see what I can do to add this ability.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCirri wrote:
OtherBill wrote:

I actually just finished a Browse Scores page that does exactly this. It will be available in a few minutes.

-browses-

Yeah, wow, that's a great start, and pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Now that you've done all the hard stuff, I think it would be great if you'd take this extra step: have rankings.php make links out of the usernames; these links direct the user to that username's "Browse Scores" page at that difficulty.

For example, when looking at the Rankings Page for Hard:

http://www.scorehero.com/rankings.php?diff=3

If you click on my username (I'm "user=120", it would direct you to:

http://www.scorehero.com/scores.php?user=120&diff=3

Note that the username links use the same "diff=x" argument as the original argument to rankings.php, and any "song=x" argument to rankings.php can be ignored.

This would add a whole new level of browsability to the site, IMHO. You want to see how supermegagoon clawed his way to the top of the Expert rankings? Just click his name. You want to beat that person ahead of you, and want to know which songs he nailed and which songs he flubbed? Just click his name.

(Granted, I don't know PHP, so don't even know if the above is possible.)

JCirri wrote:
OtherBill wrote:

This is true. It requires more effort and processing to be able to sort by rank, but I will see what I can do to add this ability.

Are the rankings generated on the fly by manage_scores.php and scores.php, or are they updated when users submit scores (by insert_scores.php)?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtherBill wrote:
Now that you've done all the hard stuff, I think it would be great if you'd take this extra step: have rankings.php make links out of the usernames; these links direct the user to that username's "Browse Scores" page at that difficulty.

Yep, this is in my plans as well. I'll have that done soon.

OtherBill wrote:
Are the rankings generated on the fly by manage_scores.php and scores.php, or are they updated when users submit scores (by insert_scores.php)?

Rankings are not stored anywhere in the database, so whenever you see a ranking, it is generated on the fly and displayed. Since it requires two separate queries to get the score information and its ranking, it makes it difficult to sort by ranking since I can't retrieve the results in the correct order. It can still be done if I retrieve all the results in into a PHP array and then sort using PHP rather than SQL, but this is a lot of extra processing. The other option would be to store the rankings in the database. This would make sorting an easy task but makes updates very difficult. i.e. when you submit a new score, all rankings worse than yours must be shifted down.

So if I do anything, I'd probably go with the first option and only use it on requests to sort by rank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: