ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
9 Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misanthrope1  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: 9 Questions Reply with quote

I got the drums for my birthday about a month ago and i have really got into it. But i do have a few questions that i hope somebody can help me with...

1. When i first started playing the first thing i noticed is that my foot cramped up really fast with the bass peddle(sp) so i went on SH and found out that i could play the bass backwords, with my heel on the part that goes down. It made it alot easier on the easier difficuties but im on hard now and now i feel as though ive made a terrible mistake. im having a hard time keeping up with the mutiple bass lines that come at me. SO, the question is: should i switch to forward bass playing now before i get too used to it backwords?

2. Also, when i play 2 or 3 bass lines in quick succession, i bring my leg up to hit them so i can hit them faster. but after all the lines are done my leg keeps bouncing and i break combo. how do i stop this?

3. (another question about the bass) sometimes when i play the bass line, it registers twice, and i break combo. why is that?

4. Like i said earlier, when i play fast bass lines, i bring my leg up and basically throw my leg at the bass peddle. after a couple times, the peddle moves around and starts sliding around on my carpet. so i thought i should go buy some velcro from walmart and attatch it to the bottom of the peddle to make it stick to my carpet. is that considered cheating?

5. im having a really hard time hitting the bass lines that are off beat and in between regular notes. does anyone feel that going into music creator on WT and making random notes with bass lines in between them going to help me with that? or should i play regular songs?

6. and a final question about the bass peddle, the loading screens say that expert+ supports 2 peddles, can i buy another one now and go use it on the other difficulties, or does 2 only work on expert+?

7. generally speaking, will hyperspeed work on the drums the same way it helps me on guitar?

8. another thing that i noticed very quickly was that my right hand got really bad blisters so i wear a glove now(is that cheating?) but now the stick slides out of my hand and im constantly readjusting it. so i thought maybe i should wear gloves with grips on them, or duct tape, something. is that cheating too?

9. and my final question is the worst one of them all, when i play the or sections thats on almost every song, my right stick gets caught up underneath the symbol pad, it is the most annoying thing ever. so i try to aim higher on the symbol pad but i keep hitting the plasting top. is this just something thats gonna come with time? or is there something that i can do about it?

i would really appreciate any help that somebody could give on these
RichardGHP  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I think I was the one who suggested that.
If it's not working out on higher diffuculties, you could try playing it the right way round but heel up.

2. Everyone does that a little. It's just a control thing. Work on it a bit more.

3. I don't know what would cause that.

4. No, that isn't considered cheating as far as I know.

5. I'd say a combination of both.

6. As far as I know, you can use two pedals on any difficulty. They're just made for X+ is all.

7. It depends. Experiment with it, and find whatever works best.

8. Again, I'm pretty certain that's not cheating. If slipping is a problem, I recommend putting tough bandaids on your blisters with good enough grip that sliding won't be a problem.

9. You may want to lower the cymbals to where the stick simply won't fit underneath (if that's possible). Otherwise, can't help you there. :/

Hope I helped a little.
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 9 Questions Reply with quote

misanthrope1 wrote:
I got the drums for my birthday about a month ago and i have really got into it. But i do have a few questions that i hope somebody can help me with...

1. When i first started playing the first thing i noticed is that my foot cramped up really fast with the bass peddle(sp) so i went on SH and found out that i could play the bass backwords, with my heel on the part that goes down. It made it alot easier on the easier difficuties but im on hard now and now i feel as though ive made a terrible mistake. im having a hard time keeping up with the mutiple bass lines that come at me. SO, the question is: should i switch to forward bass playing now before i get too used to it backwords?
Try moving the pedal back to the correct way. Inbetween kicks, leave your foot pressed down on the pedal until the next hit. This relieves a lot of the strain on your calf muscles to not keep your foot at an incline with the pedal. If you find yourself still having discomfort, try playing with your heel in the up position with the front part of your foot still on the pedal (with the pedal pressed down). from here, you can control the speed and pressure of the pedal much better with a bit of an ankle flick. If you're not sure what it should look like, try googleing Heel-Up technique for drumming

2. Also, when i play 2 or 3 bass lines in quick succession, i bring my leg up to hit them so i can hit them faster. but after all the lines are done my leg keeps bouncing and i break combo. how do i stop this?
you'll only get better with practice. Try doing a mental count while consciously doing these quick succession hits. It will build a muscle/sight memory. ie, count 1-2....1-2...1-2-3..

3. (another question about the bass) sometimes when i play the bass line, it registers twice, and i break combo. why is that?
this may be a sensitivity issue with the drum kit yourself. You used to be able to order a tuning cable for the WT drum sets and set the sensitivity with your computer. I'm not sure if they still offer this, your best bet is to look for Red Octane costumer support.

4. Like i said earlier, when i play fast bass lines, i bring my leg up and basically throw my leg at the bass peddle. after a couple times, the peddle moves around and starts sliding around on my carpet. so i thought i should go buy some velcro from walmart and attatch it to the bottom of the peddle to make it stick to my carpet. is that considered cheating?
no, that's definitely not cheating. Many of the real drum pedals people use for the game have carpet spikes which help from sliding around. If the velcro tape doesn't work, you could always try putting something heavy in front of it that won't move when you're playing.

5. im having a really hard time hitting the bass lines that are off beat and in between regular notes. does anyone feel that going into music creator on WT and making random notes with bass lines in between them going to help me with that? or should i play regular songs?
I don't think it would hurt to make the songs. And a beat as simple as that you can make fairly easy in the studio. Set the tempo to where you're not as good and do a measure of

and do a copy/paste. You can even adjust the tempo mid song to speed it up and rinse/repeat.

6. and a final question about the bass peddle, the loading screens say that expert+ supports 2 peddles, can i buy another one now and go use it on the other difficulties, or does 2 only work on expert+?
It'll work with any difficulty. Just make sure you have or get a headphone splitter if you decide to get another pedal. They both plug into the splitter which plugs in where the bass pedal normally would go.

7. generally speaking, will hyperspeed work on the drums the same way it helps me on guitar?
god, yes

8. another thing that i noticed very quickly was that my right hand got really bad blisters so i wear a glove now(is that cheating?) but now the stick slides out of my hand and im constantly readjusting it. so i thought maybe i should wear gloves with grips on them, or duct tape, something. is that cheating too?
gloves aren't considered cheating, as for duct tape I don't think anything like that has been addressed. But, I'd say no, as long as you're playing the notes yourself it shouldn't be cheating

9. and my final question is the worst one of them all, when i play the or sections thats on almost every song, my right stick gets caught up underneath the symbol pad, it is the most annoying thing ever. so i try to aim higher on the symbol pad but i keep hitting the plasting top. is this just something thats gonna come with time? or is there something that i can do about it?
you should be using light flicks of the wrist to hit cymbals. Keep your arms in a steady position and most of the work will come from the wrists. Using this, it'll be quite hard to get your stick stuck under there again.

replies in bold

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often

Last edited by ElementOfZero on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
WarlordTm  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 9 Questions Reply with quote

misanthrope1 wrote:

Yes, you should get used to playing it the way it's meant to be as quickly as possible and also try to start playing heel-up. This is basically the same movement as when you'd be playing the bass pedal backwards, so you shouldn't have *too* much trouble switching. Playing heel-up is also a lot more manageable for fast bass patterns than playing (forward pedal) heel-down in terms of stamina.

Quote:

This sounds like a sensitivity issue to me, if you have a MIDI-USB cable, you can download the drumkit tuner from the Red Octane website and adjust the sensitivity of every part of your drumkit. You can also try just placing some tape between the sensor and the beater, which is what worked for me before I had the drumkit tuner.

Quote:

Fixing a hardware flaw like that is generally not considered cheating. The WT pedal (which I assume you're talking about) has been known for sliding around A LOT, so there's absolutely no harm in securing them to the floor in any way whatsoever.

Quote:

If you look hard enough, you'll find lots of songs that contain the patterns you're having trouble with, going into the music creator would just be a waste of time. If you have Rock Band as well, you can also try going into the drum trainer and practice whatever you think might help you get better.

Quote:

You can use two pedals (or even 5 if you're born with a few extra legs) on any difficulty. This is not considered cheating on ScoreHero and has been approved by Activision as well.

Quote:

Yes, hyperspeed works the exact same way as on guitar. Whenever you feel like you are having trouble following the on-screen patterns, try using hyperspeed 1, 2 or even 3 once you get to know the songs/drum patterns better.

Quote:

No, this wouldn't be considered cheating. Like any regular adjustment to the drumkit/pedal, this would be fully accepted by the ScoreHero community.

Quote:

This is simply a case of muscle memory... you'll be fine if you just keep playing. Try to find a comfortable grip for your drumsticks and try to always hold your sticks the same way, this will make it easier for you to gain enough muscle memory to be able to hit the cymbals in roughly the same spot every time.

Hope that helped

EDIT:

Wow, ninja'd 15 minutes earlier ><. Oh, well... not all of my answers are the same as Element's
| Banners link to videos/scores | YouTube Account | GH Accomplishments | RB Accomplishments | Song left for FSFC: Space Truckin' (-1)
misanthrope1  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks everybody!
Sulfurus  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 9 Questions Reply with quote

1. That still isn't a good way to play it. Use it the correct way round.

2. You will eventually get used to doing a certain number of hits with the bass. You will also develop better control on stopping your leg, with time.

3. Potentially a faulty pedal. Unless you are are double/over-hitting without realising.

4. Use whatever method you want to fix it down. Ralph has his kit and both pedals fitted to a large board

5. Try practicing the songs where you are missing this. Alternatively just do it without the console on. Once your co-ordination improves you will be able to do these patterns without thinking.

6. Expert+ simply means 2 pedals are charted. The console cannot detect how many you are using. You may use as many pedals as you like on whichever difficulty. This is not considered cheating.

7. Try it? I use HS3 for Drums atm, it helps me.

8. Could be the way you are holding the sticks. I have a callus at the bass of the little finger on my left hand. Gloves are obviously not cheating. Do whatever you must to keep hold the sticks - super glue them into your palms if that would help. I hear tennis grips around the stick helps, but I have not tried this myself and am therefore not recommending it.

9. I still miss pads a lot and get caught under every pad, even blue and green. You will eventually get used to where the pads are and how to hit them. As above, playing more with your wrist will help accuracy. Could also try sitting a little further away from the kit, to increase the distance from the underside of the cymbal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so i went home and tried everything that everybody suggested. and yes richard, that was you that suggested that. youve helped me with alot of things before and i thought that if you suggested something that it couldnt hurt to try it.
but i turned the bass peddle around and im having a hard time getting the timing down now. but im sure that that will come with time. i also lowered the symbols, and no more getting caught underneath them, and i can see my t.v. better when im playing now too, so thats a plus.
Toodooloo  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 9 Questions Reply with quote

misanthrope1 wrote:

YES!

To hit multiple bass notes in quick succession I'd suggest learning to play 'heel-up', which basically means that your heel doesn't touch your pedal, you basically have to use your toes to press down on the pedal.
This is the technique that most expert drummers use.
Another (slightly more 'advanced' technique is 'heel-toe' if you google it you'll find several guides that'll help you learn how to do that.

Either your pedal is malfunctioning, or you're letting your foot bounce too much, resulting in overhits.

That's definitely not considered cheating.

The music creator will definitely help, but that's probably a lot less fun than playing actual songs. As long as you practice offbeat bass you'll get better at it, it doesn't really matter HOW you practice it.

It works on every difficulty, but you really won't need it on the lower difficulties (except some songs on Expert that have pretty fast bass charted, but generally can songs be done with 1 pedal except the songs on expert+)

Yes, it's the exact same thing.

Gloves, and even gloves with tape on them are not considered cheating.
The thing that's causing these blisters might be the way you hold your drum sticks, or the fact that your hands are simply not used to drumming.
I'd suggest finding a youtube video which displays exactly how to hold the drum sticks. If your grip is good, then these blisters should stop occuring (after a while).

With time, you'll get more used to the way the drums are positioned, and this will probably stop happening. Just keep practicing.

Good luck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH wow I got epic triple ninja'd because I'm too dumb to read the replies

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, well thanks anyways
lordvader178  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 9 Questions Reply with quote

misanthrope1 wrote:

1. Ball of foot on around middle of pedal with heel up. It's the easiest way to do it.

2. If you are overhitting on 3 and hitting one more, then register it as two. Instead of mentally saying "gotta hit 3" say you "gotta hit 2" then your reaction will hit the third one. Or you can learn to control your foot.

3. You are probably hitting it twice. Bass pedals don't really overhit unless you force them too. Just dont rest your foot whehn you hit a bass, or bring your foot off entirely.

4. My bass pedals usually end up half way across the room. The best thing I reccommend is in a break, curl your toes around the edge and bring them back, and no I dont think velcro is considered cheating.

5. Not really, I recommend doing slow songs with pedals in between. Then you can work your way up to higher speeds. I at first thought it was the hardest thing. A good thing I learnt was to pronounce my bass pedal hitting between notes, like note, BAM, note, BAM. Its a good way to do it.

6. Double bass works on all difficulties, you just probably wont need it. Its just like having one bass instead of two.

7. Most likely, but start on lower speeds and work up. I went from 1 to t2 to 3 and am staying on 3. 4 is a bit too fast, but I use 4 on guitar. Its just a preferance.

8. Its not, but you are probably holding your drumstick wrong. Work on that.

9. Don't focus on hitting, focus on flicking and re-bounding. Hit the pad once and when it bounces back up, flick your wrist so it goes back down. You should have to be hitting the pad hard or in sections each time. It should become a natural thing. Its just a smple wrist movement that takes a while to get a hang of.[/b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: