ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GH/BH Drum sensitivity/latency tuning guide?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derr  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: GH/BH Drum sensitivity/latency tuning guide? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm a drummer and I've recently bought a Band Hero set to practice with, along with GHWT, GHM, GHSH and GH5. I've downloaded the GH drum tuner to adjust the sensitivity of the kit but can't quite get it to where I like, so I thought I'd best ask the experts - sorry if there's already a guide out there for the questions I'm about to ask, I couldn't find it with search.

So I like to hit pretty hard, and although I'm holding back a fair bit on harder hits if I have to play cymbal + snare (orange/yellow + red) or kick + snare a lot of the time one of the hits will not register. Initially I had this problem because the kit was too sensitive, but even reducing the values in the Drum Tuning Kit to very low values doesn't seem to help. If I record the MIDI output from the kit I'm not getting any double hits or false triggers, but it does seem to output a much lower velocity for the harder hit...? I get the same problem with the Kick - its sensitivity is on "1" in the tuner but if I hit it like I would a real kick drum it seems to freak out and output a very low velocity, or nothing at all. Is this a known behaviour and does anyone have any tips on sorting it out?

The other question I have is about latency - I'm playing the game with an old CRT Sony with no lag, and it seems to me that the games are harsher on early hits than later ones, is this correct? It also seems that each game has a different timing window. I'm aware that I can futz with the latency as much as I like, but is there a way to calculate and center the timing window more accurately in each game given that my setup introduces no latency?

Thanks guys, appreciate the help
Mike65707  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I used to do was use GHWT (or any of the WT engine spinoffs..anything but 5) and go into a song with a long intro. When you hit the drum the highway lights up; the brighter the harder the note is registering.

Then I just tried to tune the drums so my "normal" strength hits were medium-to-somewhat bright on the highway meaning I wouldn't have to pound to get a note to register, especially accented notes.

As for your problem itself you may have just turned the settings down a bit too low. Try some higher ones but not high enough to double hit. If that doesn't work it's probably a problem with the kit itself.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: ChAoSnOvA65707 PSN Name: Mike
derr  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Mike65707 - I think this is pretty similar to what I have been doing with recording the MIDI output of the kit and checking the velocity of the hits. I will try as you say to calibrate it in game though.

I have it calibrated at the moment so that any medium to medium/hard hit works perfectly well, but it's when I really give it a good whack that the game doesn't register the hit. Can anyone else verify this behaviour? ie - hitting too hard causes GH games to not register a hit?
Warhiem  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't hit it that hard then!

Mike65707  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it might not be a great idea to hit it that hard..the WT kits aren't the best for lasting a long time as it is. <_<
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: ChAoSnOvA65707 PSN Name: Mike
derr  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that's hardly fun is it? ;)

Point taken though, I'm just hoping that it's possible to play it in as close a way as I would with an acoustic drum set - maybe it's just not. :/
mbnasir6  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derr wrote:
But that's hardly fun is it? ;)

Point taken though, I'm just hoping that it's possible to play it in as close a way as I would with an acoustic drum set - maybe it's just not. :/

Yes I know this is old, but to all new drummers

A Guitar hero/Rock band/Cheap Electronic Drum Kit is NOT AN ACOUSTIC KIT. You are not supposed to hit it hard, in the tips it says to hit the drum kit lightly. Hitting it hard will brea it within a few days
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: