ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Buying a REAL Les Paul - Need Advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davers  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Buying a REAL Les Paul - Need Advice Reply with quote

I've always wanted to learn to play guitar and that might lead me to why I really like GH. Anyways, I'm getting ready to buy a real Les Paul. Now I haven't really done my research on guitars that much other than the fact that this is the guitar I want. I know they can be expensive, I really don't want to have to spend more than $600-$700.

I need advice on what I should look at. I'd be buying this just for myself to learn to play and have fun with as a hobby. So it doesn't have to be pimped out or anything like that. What do you suggest?

I know Epiphone has some inexpensive Les Pauls and Gibson is known for their Les Pauls. But I'm asking on here because I know there are several guitarists that can give me some insightful tips and suggestions Even a good online store or music store in the New Orleans/Baton Rouge area.

Thanks in advance!
inkjt510  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you've never played a guitar before but you think it's a wise decision to drop $700 on one?
Psalm 104:14 : He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man
GH3 Goals: Enlightened Guitarist [ ] 13
FG5*: TTFAF, TWIE
xXryannn  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is highly unlikely you will find a Gibson Les Paul for under $1,000, let alone $700 (unless you go used). Your only choice is to go with the Epiphone, and the quality on those is not that great. If I were you I would go with a cheap Stratocaster or something, especially since it's your first guitar.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: xXryannnnnnnnnn
Davers  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother is a guitarist and I've always wanted to pick it up. I've messed around on his guitar so it's not like I'm just doing this on a whim.

As for Gibson, I understand that they are expensive and I would like to take a different route. I really don't want to have to raise an extra $500 if I can help it. I wasn't sure on Epiphone. My brother suggested that I go with it since Gibson's are probably out of the question for me.

Also, not trying to sound mean or anything, but I'm getting a Les Paul. I like them and it's what I'm getting. I know it might not be everyone's first guitar but it's going to be mine. Dropping $700 on a first guitar isn't really a problem when you know what you want (well to an extent) and have a desire. At least not for me

I would just like some advice on where I can buy something in the price range listed that will work great and look nice and have a nice sound. What to stay away from, what I should invest in, etc etc. Links, pics, vids, or whatever are welcomed
aknu  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try go for a Les Paul Studio by Gibson. Not quite as pricey as the standard/custom etc, but still not cheap either. But I do recommend buying one thats gonna last and has a nice sound, ie not epiphone :p
Gamer9254  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkjt510 wrote:
So you've never played a guitar before but you think it's a wise decision to drop $700 on one?

Good point. Davers, what if you find out you don't like playing the guitar?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: LightSwitchTTM
Davers  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamer9254 wrote:
inkjt510 wrote:

Good point. Davers, what if you find out you don't like playing the guitar?

I already know I like it. I picked around on my brother's guitar several times. There is no way I would drop that kind of money on something I was unsure about This is something that I've wanted to do for a long time. I'm still looking right now. My brother told me to look on musiciansfriend.com. They have some pretty decent name brand stuff for cheaper than you would get guitars about anywhere else besides a pawn shop.
blackwidowcd  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aknu wrote:
You could try go for a Les Paul Studio by Gibson. Not quite as pricey as the standard/custom etc, but still not cheap either. But I do recommend buying one thats gonna last and has a nice sound, ie not epiphone :p

The studio is $1,000 and that's the cheapest gibson you can buy. It's not a very good idea to buy an expensive guitar for your first. You can get an epiphone les paul for much cheaper and epi's are good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Epiphone Les Paul Standard is a great guitar. At about $500 you're getting all the guitar you'll ever need for a long time. However... for your first guitar I wouldn't recommend dropping $500. Grab one of the starter kits from Epiphone or Squier by Fender.

xXryannn wrote:
Your only choice is to go with the Epiphone, and the quality on those is not that great.

I would have to very strongly disagree with you on that. Epiphone gets a bad rap for for putting out many of the same models as Gibson (makes sense, since Gibson owns Epiphone) at a much cheaper price. The fact of the matter is that Epiphone guitars such as the Les Paul Standard (which I own, btw) are very nearly of the same quality as their Gibson counterpart. Most intermediate and seasoned players cannot tell the difference between the two. Granted there is a difference in manufacturing quality its largely negligible. That said, I stand by Epiphone.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you going to do about an amp? Borrow your brother's? Something to consider.

ravagetalon wrote:
The Epiphone Les Paul Standard is a great guitar. At about $500 you're getting all the guitar you'll ever need for a long time. However... for your first guitar I wouldn't recommend dropping $500. Grab one of the starter kits from Epiphone or Squier by Fender.

xXryannn wrote:
Your only choice is to go with the Epiphone, and the quality on those is not that great.

I would have to very strongly disagree with you on that. Epiphone gets a bad rap for for putting out many of the same models as Gibson (makes sense, since Gibson owns Epiphone) at a much cheaper price. The fact of the matter is that Epiphone guitars such as the Les Paul Standard (which I own, btw) are very nearly of the same quality as their Gibson counterpart. Most intermediate and seasoned players cannot tell the difference between the two. Granted there is a difference in manufacturing quality its largely negligible. That said, I stand by Epiphone.

Yes. I use and Epiphone SG (well, technically a G 400) and I love it. I have changed out the pickups, but not because I didn't like them, because I wanted a greater tonal range. But yeah, Epiphones are quality instruments,

I'VE BEEN SIGGED..... TWICE!!!!!
Davers  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the guitar I'm buying. It's an Epiphone Les Paul with amp for $600. Here's a pic of the set I'm getting (free shipping too):

I'm happy with dropping the money. If, and that's a big IF, it doesn't work out, my brother will be more than happy to buy it from me.

I'm glad someone said Epiphone was a good guitar. I have to admit, I did look into other guitars when the poster above said it wasn't good quality. My brother disagreed and so I decided to get the above guitar. Glad someone else can vouch for them as well.
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you've already bought the guitar/ know what you're getting, but I have to throw this in. Dropped $450 on my first set up, I got a Stratocaster for $300 and a Spider III for $100, along with around $20 in accessories (tax added the rest), and I love it. The Strat is an amazing guitar, and the sound is great. The feel is awesome, too.

I do like the guitar that you've picked up, though.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: