Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Need Help Making a "like this page to see" Facebook Page
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
muna  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Need Help Making a "like this page to see" Faceboo Reply with quote

I am sure that any of facebooks 350 million + users know what I am talking about. Facebook has been dominated by pages where you must like them (previously, become a fan) in order to see their content. Examples are something like "5 THINGS THAT TURN GUYS OFF (GIRLS WILL NE SURPRISED)" and then in order to see the 5 things, you must become a fan. I want to make a page like this. I plan to use it to advertise my blog and potentially (if things get that desperate) use CPALead to make money. The only thing is, that I have no idea how to make a page like this. I have spent hours searching for the solution on facebook and google, but I haven't come up with one solution. That is why I turn to Scorehero - the one website I can always count on! So... does anybody know how?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know how to make content only fans can see, but I know how to make a page =P.

Assuming you have the same layout as me, go to the home page (while logged in, of course), and look to the left of the screen. There should be a bar there with various info in it. Look for the part that says "Ads and Pages", and click on it. This should bring you to a page that, at the top, says "create a page". Click on that, and you should be able to figure it out from there .

Of course, it's been a while since I wasn't in charge of any pages, so I don't remember exactly what that page looks like. In other news, I admin a fan page for SH* in an attempt to not only see how many people frequent both Facebook and Score Hero, but to keep people informed of events that occur here on Score Hero should they be on FB and aren't aware of stuff such as the Leagues and whatnot.

*http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Score-Hero/119300418102121
For some reason, URL tags don't work on this link >_>.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
KrakenEater  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Why would you make a page like that? They're extremely annoying.
2. ScoreHero is not tech forum, blah blah blah
3. I've never done this myself, but it looks like the answer is in fbml (FaceBook Markup Language?) Intro (that link actually seems dead, try this), Some vague overview to your fan only problem, a guy who apparently shows you how to do it

[edit]@ Qarx - you have to use html for that link http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Score-Hero/119300418102121. Doubt you care, but I had to edit this anyway.

Last edited by KrakenEater on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail PSN Name: KrakenEater
blob  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrakenEater wrote:

Become a fan of "5 THINGS I LIKE TO DO EVERY DAY!"

To see what the "5 THINGS I LIKE TO DO EVERY DAY!" you must become a fan first.

---
Wait, what?

How can I be a fan of something I don't know what it is?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blob wrote:
KrakenEater wrote:

Become a fan of "5 THINGS I LIKE TO DO EVERY DAY!"

To see what the "5 THINGS I LIKE TO DO EVERY DAY!" you must become a fan first.

---
Wait, what?

How can I be a fan of something I don't know what it is?

What I do when I'm curious about something like that is hit the "like" button, then look at it, then hit "unlike" at the bottom of the left side of the screen if I don't actually like it lol.
KrakenEater wrote:

[edit]@ Qarx - you have to use html for that link http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Score-Hero/119300418102121. Doubt you care, but I had to edit this anyway.

HTML? I don't have it disabled, if that's what you mean.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
KrakenEater  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's not what I meant. At first, I imagine you typed something like this
Code:
[url=http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Score-Hero/119300418102121]http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Score-Hero/119300418102121[/url]
which produces this: [url=http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Score-Hero/119300418102121]http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Score-Hero/119300418102121[/url]. That's the common linking method with BBCode. If you want it to work properly, one way is to use standard html linking
Code:
<a href="http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Score-Hero/119300418102121">http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Score-Hero/119300418102121</a>
Which produces http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Score-Hero/119300418102121, what you want. It's nothing to worry about, I was just in an html state of mind after reading about fbml.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Scorehero rewrite OFFICIAL date!

BUT YOU MUST BECOME A FAN TO VIEW THIS PAGE!
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the "like to see content" thing caught on, facebook had an extremely cool natural selection system going on. Crappy pages wouldn't get liked so no one would really see them and eventually they'd fall into the background, but good pages would be around for ages.
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These pages are one of the biggest problems with Facebook and I hate you for trying make the site worse because it doesn't need any help. I wish people that made these pages were permanently banned and maybe even beat in a sack with a wooden stick.

Qarx wrote:
What I do when I'm curious about something like that is hit the "like" button, then look at it, then hit "unlike" at the bottom of the left side of the screen if I don't actually like it lol.

I think the point he is trying to make is that it is illogical to like a page before you know what's in it. A bit like saying that you like to eat caviar before you've ever tasted it.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
BioHazardABZ  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to see the content without liking it.

1 Go on the page and find the box where it shows the picture or words that you have to like to see.

2 Go to the top of your screen, there should be a "page" button, click it.

3 Find the button that says "style" and click it.

4 There should be 2 options, No style, or Default, Click "No style"

5 It should automaticly change format, find the picture/whatever it is.

6 Viola! there it is.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: BiohazardABZ Wii Friend Code: 266453013085
Yewb  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BioHazardABZ wrote:

1 Go on the page and find the box where it shows the picture or words that you have to like to see.

6 Viola! there it is.

If this works, you're my new best friend. I too hate these pages to an absurd degree.

OP, I'll tell you how to do it, but first you have to fill out a survey, advertise my services to your friends and give birth to my child.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
BioHazardABZ  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
BioHazardABZ wrote:

6 Viola! there it is.

If this works, you're my new best friend. I too hate these pages to an absurd degree.

OP, I'll tell you how to do it, but first you have to fill out a survey, advertise my services to your friends and give birth to my child.

It should work. But I dont know how to do the same with OSX of Linux. So I can't help you those.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: BiohazardABZ Wii Friend Code: 266453013085
footballtom3685  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with these pages (besides being really annoying) is that there are actually some cases in which content should only be visible to fans. The original purpose for the ability to code that in, I believe, was to hide tabs from non-fans. If Eminem's fan page had his new video on a special tab, it would make sense to hide it from people who aren't fans. One of the main purposes of fan pages now is for companies/celebrities to promote themselves, and becoming a fan to see exclusive content makes sense.

Of course tons of people decided to abuse it and make annoying "become a fan to see one stupid picture" pages, or even worse the ones which make you fill out a survey.

I've actually made one myself (as a parody) and it was really simple to do, but don't do it just to be annoying.

Anyway, since you'll find it eventually anyway, there's a tag in FBML "fb:visible-to-connection" that you wrap things in, which may or may not do what you want.

That's how I did it on my page (which, again, is obviously a parody...I don't support these annoying pages)

Try not to be too annoying with it, please. I'll leave this open for now because I assume mostly everyone on SH has a facebook account and stuff like this is relevant to talk about.
Saru786  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, dude, that high school onion ring looked good.

Anyways, I don't even how to make a fan page itself. It took me a while to find out hoe to make group pages, but yea, those pages really are annoying.

- Saru is a genius
- BT doesn't exist
- 9001 is fucking paranoid
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Saru786 Wii Friend Code: 5710861160111753
muna  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saru786 wrote:
Wow, dude, that high school onion ring looked good.

Anyways, I don't even how to make a fan page itself. It took me a while to find out hoe to make group pages, but yea, those pages really are annoying.

The first poster explained how. As for everybody else, thank you! I finally got it working (I think!) and I am doing it to promote my blog. I have yet to take advantage of CPALead surveys and I probably won't ever (as it is the most annoying thing on the internet), but I just write random articles (in my sig) and I could use this to potentially promote them. Thanks again for all the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: