ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Starcraft II - NASL going strong, thread going strong
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ravagetalon  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno if anyone cares... but I've been bumped to gold 1v1 recently.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravagetalon wrote:
Dunno if anyone cares... but I've been bumped to gold 1v1 recently.

Nice! If you (or anybody else) wants to do some 1v1 practice matches with me I'm totally down. I can provide some tips and things like that, and it also allows me to experiment with different builds and strategies.

Or, if people want, we can do some good old replay analysis in this thread. Feel free to post your replays and I will try to post some of mine in the next few days. There are a ton of websites that host SC2 replays, pick your poison.
Akaleth  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also just got bumped up to gold yesterday, a bump-up that was long awaited.

I'm going to agree with you, fenster (and everyone else out there who plays the game) and say that the patch really didn't change enough. Outside of the reaper nerf (and to a lesser extent the siege tank nerf) the pressing balance issues weren't addressed in the slightest. I'm really hoping Marauders are next up on the nerfbat priority list, despite my lack of trouble in dealing with them as of late.

I would also like to take you up on your offer for 1v1 practice matches sometime. I find that the only build that I've regularly seen that I have trouble with is mutaling, and with so few zergs out there even in gold it's tough to get decent practice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akaleth wrote:
I would also like to take you up on your offer for 1v1 practice matches sometime. I find that the only build that I've regularly seen that I have trouble with is mutaling, and with so few zergs out there even in gold it's tough to get decent practice.

In ZvP I tend to shy from mutaling in favor of a heavy roach/hydra build with burrow micro (sort of similar to how Idra has been playing ZvP when he's not too busy looking up build orders of his opponent and getting rolled) and later drops. But I'd be more than willing to try out a mutaling build (I know the basic idea) for practice.

I believe I have you added as a regular friend or whatever so feel free to message me when I'm on...that goes for anybody, really.
Akaleth  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose we can consider that your lack of experience with mutaling could make up for part of the skill discrepancy. I wouldn't mind playing your roach/hydra build either, I've yet to actually play against that build outside of comp stomp because my games rarely last more than 12-15 minutes. It wouldn't be a bad idea to learn how to deal with that once I start actually seeing games that last long enough to see that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suspectfenster wrote:
Akaleth wrote:

In ZvP I tend to shy from mutaling in favor of a heavy roach/hydra build with burrow micro (sort of similar to how Idra has been playing ZvP when he's not too busy looking up build orders of his opponent and getting rolled) and later drops. But I'd be more than willing to try out a mutaling build (I know the basic idea) for practice.

I believe I have you added as a regular friend or whatever so feel free to message me when I'm on...that goes for anybody, really.

Not that I'm a zerg player, but this happens TO me so much I figure always getting some mutalisks is like required... Mutas are so damn easy to harass with if you get em out quick.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion muta/ling is less potent against P than it is against T. Mutas are great against T because you can mineral dump into zerglings and then make banelings as necessary, and that composition is just so, so damn good against most army compositions Terran can throw at you. If anybody has been watching the GSL, FruitDealer tends to go mutas into roach, infestor, ultra, ling against Terran, but varies it widely.

Against protoss it's a little harder because blink stalkers are pretty damn effective against mutas, and once your harass options are limited they can roll into your base and mutas are never good in a 1 on 1 battle. Or god forbid they have phoenix, which will pretty much end all muta play altogether (unlike vikings which mutas actually do very good against). I feel confident enough in my macro to usually outmuscle templar or colossus play with roach/hydra but it's a tough matchup for me. I should probably watch some more ZvP pro level matches. I think roach/hydra/corrupter into brood-lords should probably be my goal going forward.

Anyway, still looking to practice.
ravagetalon  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't play much outside of the occasional team game these days due to how much is broken with the game. Mainly the Phoenix bug... My GOD that sucks so hard... also I don't very much fancy the Zealot nerf either. Makes me look like I wear a "HEY COME 6POOL ME" shirt.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been laddering a bit more lately and I have been making some progress I'm pretty proud of!

Also, there's new ladder maps and some balance discussion!

Map Pool Changes
Removed: Kulas Ravine and Desert Oasis
Added: Jungle Basin and Shakuras Plateau

Thoughts on the new maps? I like Jungle Basin and Shakuras is alright, it reminds me of Desert Oasis in that if you spawn across from each other, it turns into a long epic game but it's not the funnest map to actually *play* on.

Also, huge balance post from Dustin Browder today. Check it:

Quote:
he balance changes in our next patch will primarily focus on improving the zerg.

Here are a few of the changes we currently have planned:

• We're increasing roach range. This will allow roaches to be more effective in large groups, giving the zerg more options in the mid to end game.

• Fungal Growth will now prevent Blink, which will give zerg a way to stop endlessly Blinking stalkers which can be very challenging to deal with in large numbers.

• The Barracks are going to require a Supply Depot, which will impact a lot of early terran reaper pushes.

• The reaper speed upgrade will require the Factory, which is meant to weaken a lot of the early terran reaper attacks that dominate so many matches, especially in team games.

• We're making a number of increases to the health of zerg buildings, which will make the very vulnerable zerg technology structures more resistant to raids. We don't expect these hit point changes to have a super significant impact on the game, but the current numbers felt way too low.

We want our avid and talented StarCraft II players to know that we're here, we're listening, and that our intent is to continue making careful and measured approaches to balance based on community and fansite feedback, our numbers and data, watching pro players and tournaments, and our own time on Battle.net playing the game alongside you.

You can read the full thing here:

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/882511#blog
ravagetalon  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barracks requires supply depot... That is the most ass backwards thing I've ever heard... thats like requiring zerg to build at least one more overlord before a pool.

doing this will make Terran easy pickings for a 6pool.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravagetalon wrote:
Barracks requires supply depot... That is the most ass backwards thing I've ever heard... thats like requiring zerg to build at least one more overlord before a pool.

Or a pylon before a gateway.

Sorry I had to, but I agree with you that supply depot is a pretty harsh requirement. I'm not convinced it will be as huge a deal as everyone seems to be making it out to be, but assuming it does go through it will definitely do a lot to take the cheese out of Terran. Still, protoss needs a pylon before gateway and they can still cheese like mad. So maybe it's an okay change.

As for holding off a six-pool, most terrans build a depot first anyway and most can hold off a six-pool fine. So I don't think that's a concern.

Roach range increase though.....fuck yes.
Adsee  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reapers have pretty much been nerfed to hell now. I understood they were overpowered before, but really they are going to be nearly completely useless now.

Still, Zerg buffs are great, and the roach range increase is just plain awesome.
CTangent  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm still hanging out in the bronze league right now, but I'm using my time at the bottom of the ladder to learn this game cold, since I'm pretty bad at strategy games in general.

ravagetalon wrote:

doing this will make Terran easy pickings for a 6pool.

There's a double-rax before depot build going around on the korean servers that is apparently extremely potent against zerg players. Apparently it's a big enough deal to force this change...

Besides, if you spot a sixpool coming then you've got about thirty seconds to respond accordingly, which still can be done with the potential supply depot restriction. Yeah, it'll probably be a little dicey, but there's no way that Blizzard would push an update like this without testing it extensively against various strategies, especially sixpools...

As a mostly Terran player, Mutaling absolutely kicks my ass and runs circles around me, but I guess that's why I'm still in the bronze league :P.

I'd be totally down for some practice matches with somebody if they want, or for replay analysis, or for games for fun . I'm really enjoying my time in starcraft and I can feel myself getting better, although I'm by no means a good player... :P.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. ~Oscar Wilde
suspectfenster  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means add me or post replays here and I will be more than happy to go over them and provide some analysis. I'm no day9 but I can probably offer some insights.

And of course feel free to hit me up whenever for practice games. I'm in the process of interviewing at a bunch of companies and wrapping up my last year of college so I'm not always on, but whenever I am I'm game to do practice 1v1's or whatever.

Although....(and I really don't mean for this to sound condescending) I'm not sure how much bronze leaguer's learn when they play a diamond. I've had some friends who I've 1v1'd with and I think it's just too one-sided for them to really know where to start. Replay analysis might be a better idea, or finding some gold/silver friends to practice with.
CTangent  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This came down the pipe today:

Patch 1.1.2 notes wrote:

General

Players will no longer receive achievement toasts while their status is set to "Busy."

The messaging when attempting to load a saved game or replay from a previous version has been clarified

Adjusted the amount of points earned and lost by random team participants to properly reflect the strength of a player's teammates.

Balance

PROTOSS

Buildings

Nexus life and shields increased from 750/750 to 1000/1000.

Void Ray

Damage level 1 increased from 5 to 6 (+4 armored).

Damage level 2 decreased from 10 (+15 armored) to 8 (+8 armored).

Flux Vanes speed upgrade bonus decreased from 1.125 to 0.703.

TERRAN

Buildings

Barracks requirement changed from Command Center to Supply Depot.

Supply Depot life increased from 350 to 400.

Medivac

Acceleration reduced from 2.315 to 2.25.

Speed reduced from 2.75 to 2.5.

Reaper

Nitro Packs speed upgrade now has a Factory Requirement.

Thor

Energy bar removed.

250mm Strike Cannons is now cooldown-based on a 50-second cooldown. Ability starts with cooldown available (useable immediately after upgrade is researched).

ZERG

Buildings

Hatchery life increased from 1250 to 1500.

Lair life increased from 1800 to 2000.

Spawning Pool life increased from 750 to 1000.

Spire life increased from 600 to 850.

Ultralisk Cavern life increased from 600 to 850.

Corruptor

Energy bar removed.

Corruption is now cooldown-based on a 45-second cooldown. Ability starts with cooldown expired (must wait for full 45-second cycle before usable).

Infestor

Fungal Growth now prevents Blink.

Roach

Range increased from 3 to 4.

Bug Fixes

Fixed an issue where players could not cast the Feedback spell on Point Defense Drones.

Fixed an issue where the Phoenix would continue to channel Graviton Beam after the target died.

Fixed an issue that would cause Larvae to spawn and be hidden behind Zerg eggs.

Fixed an issue where players were unable to navigate to the Single Player page or watch replays after canceling map downloads from the queue.

Fixed a desync that could occur on user-created maps with custom mod dependencies.

A lot of this we knew was coming, but I'm intrigued by the void ray and thor/corruptor changes. Thors/corruptors will no longer be susceptible to feedback, while void ray uncharged damage gets doubled vs. armor but nerfed hard while charged... I'm interested to see what this'll mean.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. ~Oscar Wilde

Last edited by CTangent on Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: