ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Harmonix for Sale
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackwidowcd  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatDave wrote:
Dance Hero is going to be sensational.
Break dance hero? Parkour hero? Guitar hero hero? The possibilities are endless!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garwood wrote:
TerminX13 wrote:
God I hope it isn't Activision. We don't need them fucking with another great series :/

*looks at Website*
*looks at Signature*

/headdesk

Whatever, it'll be interesting to see what happens.
I love Guitar Hero, dude. I'm not saying I wouldn't continue supporting the game, obviously.

But Neversoft just made a ridiculously amazing game and was subsequently disbanded by Activision. I'll still buy Guitar Hero because I love it, but fuck Activision :c

Twitter | Trollbean | RateYourMusic | Hummingbird
Accomplishments:
RB (Latest: 25 or 6 to 4)
GHL (Latest: GHL FGFC)

Greatest canine ever to play the plastic guitar
TheGreatDave  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerminX13 wrote:
Garwood wrote:
TerminX13 wrote:
God I hope it isn't Activision. We don't need them fucking with another great series :/

*looks at Website*
*looks at Signature*

/headdesk

Whatever, it'll be interesting to see what happens.
I love Guitar Hero, dude. I'm not saying I wouldn't continue supporting the game, obviously.

But Neversoft just made a ridiculously amazing game and was subsequently disbanded by Activision. I'll still buy Guitar Hero because I love it, but fuck Activision :c

Neversoft haven't been disbanded.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: A Great Dave
Wooffus  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's a big difference between the two franchises from the start.

Neversoft had released a load of entries for the GH series, and seeing that the gains could be nowhere near as high as GH3 from this point on, Activision decided to stop Neversoft handling GH back in February. I'm assuming the deals were sealed after completion of GH:WoR back in April, which was shown with their last DLC ever released being the Black Sabbath track pack and all others since handled by Beenox.

In comparison, Harmonix were throwing in all the resources they could grab just to make Rock Band 3 a game made to excel. And all throughout the months leading up to its release, they were all snobby and feeling as if it would sell in its bucketloads. However, let's face it - it didn't sell, and Viacom lost of a lot of money thanks to them and decided to let them go, throwing the series into the same field of jeopardy. The links severed from MTV would mean lesser chance to reach at a music library, and ultimately a bigger struggle to secure a flowing setlist in future games.

I say it serves them right for acting that way. I never really liked arrogance in business, and to see it crumble when people decide to just not take interest due to any unforeseeable flaws (namely the price of the Pro instruments) shows that they should understand that the risk couldn't itself pay off.

Either way, I'm interested to see how it turns out. Whatever happens, this is a big wake-up call for the snobby RB fanboys that like creaming on us :P

[Edited in light of what was said below o_O]

Click the card for my accomplishment thread!

Last edited by Wooffus on Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 4393435608820667
expertwin  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Activision buys Rock Band, does that mean no more Nirvana songs on either franchise?
2015/09/20 The date I became Free Bird #200

@ataeaf=My Twitter. RB Accomps. GH Accomps. Nobody reads them.
voidedalive2x wrote:
of COURSE it's doable, you ninny! Don't you cop out on me now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: WorthBestGamer
TheGreatDave  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITT: Another person claims Neversoft have been shut down.

You may want to tell their site which is advertising for jobs on their upcoming action shooter game.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: A Great Dave
Hafkie  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, there may have been layoffs earlier this year, but Neversoft is still around. They were taken off the Guitar Hero IP and they are currently working on a new project.

Just thought I should point that out for all the people that are saying Neversoft has been disbanded/closed/etc.
Wooffus  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess I got the news all in a muddle. I thought there were some layoffs there, but weren't expecting them to work on different projects; sorry about that

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 4393435608820667
noble  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatDave wrote:
ITT: Another person claims Neversoft have been shut down.

You may want to tell their site which is advertising for jobs on their upcoming action shooter game.

Hopefully it's Gun 2.

The original Gun was awesome, and sadly overlooked by most of the gaming community.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Thunder Buckets PSN Name: thunderbuckets
TerminX13  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hafkie wrote:
Um, there may have been layoffs earlier this year, but Neversoft is still around. They were taken off the Guitar Hero IP and they are currently working on a new project.

Just thought I should point that out for all the people that are saying Neversoft has been disbanded/closed/etc.
Oh, okay. My mistake. Thank you for clearing that up.

slightlyembarrased.gif

Twitter | Trollbean | RateYourMusic | Hummingbird
Accomplishments:
RB (Latest: 25 or 6 to 4)
GHL (Latest: GHL FGFC)

Greatest canine ever to play the plastic guitar
youhas  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooffus wrote:
Harmonix were throwing in all the resources they could grab just to make Rock Band 3 a game made to excel. ... However, let's face it - it didn't sell, and Viacom lost of a lot of money thanks to them

This sort of logic would make sense Viacom were not a globe-spanning multi-billion dollar company but rather, say, an ADD-riddled teenage boy. "Well, yes, we acquired Harmonix back in the fall of 2006. And we let them spend the last two years working on the newest incarnation of their series. But we've made the decision to sell the company; we're basing this decision on two-and-a-half weeks' worth of sales data about Rock Band 3, completely ignoring other properties such as Dance Central or the prospect that the sales for one of both games could be robust over the upcoming holiday period." I'm sorry that Rock Band fanboys rub you the wrong way, but basing an analysis on present RB3 sales at all is kind of thunderously dim.

Viacom had good reason to acquire Harmonix: Rock Band was totally a super-hot prospect at the time, and it looked like it might've been the cornerstone of whole new way that consumers would be consuming media from here on out. The thinking was more or less "rhythm games will change the way music is consumed forever, and we want to be a part of it!" Advertising Rock Band songs on our music TV channels! Launching up-and-coming bands into mega-stardom by being available as DLC! Advertising hot new movie properties by giving folks a free song off of the film's soundtrack, to help incentivize them rushing out to the theaters! Every media helping sell things in every other media, as one big happy ball of synergy!

Cool ideas, on paper... but none of them really panned out. (Did anyone become motivated to see whatever movies were being advertised by those free DLC tracks?) Not helping matters any was that music gaming as a whole didn't blossom into the awesome new paradigm-shifting possibility they envisioned; instead, it kind of flamed out to some degree, becoming a quirky novelty that everyone had a passing fancy in - the mid-2000's version of pogs or snap bracelets. So now Viacom's sort of saddled with this company that doesn't help their other properties like they'd hoped, doesn't fit in with anything else that they do regularly, and is in a nebulous sort of "this could well be profitable but is probably more headache than it's worth" territory. "Fuck it, let's cut our losses and just sell this bitch" is a perfectly reasonable strategy to take.

I don't know enough about the inner workings, financial structures, or debt-to-equity ratios of potential Harmonix suitors to take an educated stab at who will eventually purchase them. All I know is that to point to RB3 sales is an absolutely laughable rationale. This is a functioning of faltering in the rhythm game industry as a whole and a decision some years in the making.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
Wooffus  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying the decision can be seen as dim; I'm sure I read something that at least several million dollars were already spent on beefing up only the graphics. If they wanted to throw ridiculous amounts of money out of Viacom's pockets, then it's a drastically severe risk to take especially in this current gaming climate. So of course it's logical that they were expecting sales for RB3 to be in its millions, not in the state that it's in now.

That said, I can understand that there will steadily be a larger growth of sales for RB3. However, due to the ridiculous amount of money that they spent developing the game, will it actually regain the money spent making it? That is what's conerning me more. :\

youhas  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to be certain, I'm not suggesting that the massive capital investment poured into RB3 is totally going to be worth it. 'Cuz it very well may not be! Banking so heavily on a new peripheral and pro-mode instrumentation is a very high-risk, high-reward sort of approach to things. You may end up capturing lightning in a bottle again, where the novelty of a keyboard and/or the prospect of legitimately learning instruments is a huge sell with the casual gaming public! Or you may end up where folks are all "meh", don't really give a damn, and you're still in the gaming doldrums all the same, no matter how much money you've thrown at the problem trying to fix it.

But honestly, Viacom's desire to sell appears to be totally independent of whether RB3 sells quite well, rather poorly, or anywhere in between. They'd bought into Harmonix under the thinking that this was potentially the New Big Thing; it's long since proven out that it's not. The sales of RB3 are like the locations of the chairs on the Titanic: no matter how well you arranged them, you ended up kind of hosed and consigned to disaster regardless, and inclined to divest yourself of the sinking ship as soon as reasonably possible.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
noble  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing (as honestly any of us who don't work at Harmonix or Viacom are doing), that Viacom had wanted to get out of the game business for a while, but out of respect to Harmonix waited until after the release of Rock Band 3 to announce they were for sale.

Because honestly if they had announced they were selling Harmonix three weeks before the game went on sale it would have torpedoed the game.

All but the hardcore harmonix/rock band fans would be like, oh these pro instruments must be shit, or this game must really be terrible if their parent company is trying to get out before the game hits.

I'm not saying that Rock band 3 is going to go on to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, or change the world, but I agree that there is no way that sales in just two weeks was a factor in their decision. I mean if it was about the money they'd want to wait until after the first holiday season of the game to dump it IMO.

Get all that christmas money from retail and DLC sales ;)
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Thunder Buckets PSN Name: thunderbuckets
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi-off-topic but I think Rock Band 3 would have done MUCH better with better advertising. They should have advertised more to the public that this is a game that can actually teach you to play a real instrument, with some classic modes thrown in for good measure. From the people I've talked to about it, next to none of them knew that Rock Band 3 even had a mode that uses a real guitar, whereas most of them knew about power gig, and a good portion of them were considering buying it. I mean, power gig got a 4; it doesn't even chart songs correctly... but it was advertised better. The commercial may have been one of the stupidest I've ever seen but it got the idea out there that you can use a real guitar with this game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: