ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
One way to find good new music. (aka the Bandcamp tutorial)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inv4der  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: One way to find good new music. (aka the Bandcamp tutorial) Reply with quote

To some people this is going to be very very obvious, but I figured I'd help out those who don't know about the site on how to do this.

One site I've been really happy about learning about (a year or so ago) is Bandcamp. This is the sort of site that shows there is some hope for the music industry. It's not perfect, but it's a damn sight better than a lot of major labels' distribution mentality.

Anyway, this site allows artists and labels to upload music for sale (with a no minimum option) or totally for free. (Free downloads of either type are limited per album but that's not important on the consumption end, it doesn't effect your ability to download things.)

What this means for you is that there's a potential for good free, and above all LEGAL music to be downloaded. (And even more if you're okay with paying, and lots of bands have links to buy physical copies in both CD and Vinyl.) Obviously Sturgeon's Law is in effect, although usually the popularity filter is enough to weed out the horrible stuff.

So here's what you want to do. Right here is a page containing all the tags. (Click view all so view all. Yes, that's very obvious. I know.)

So what you want to do is click a genre you're interested in, say "metal" or "rock". Once you're there, just look for things that seem interesting, and if they're no minimum/free, give them a shot. (Or you can listen from the site and decide, it's up to you!) For albums with a minimum, you'd want to listen from the site to decide if it's worth it to you.

Obviously "metal" or "rock" are very broad so you may wish to be more precise.

Overall I find this is a very easy way to find good music, as long as you're okay being "that guy" who listens to bands no one else has heard of. (If it's good it doesn't really matter, honestly.)

This would also be a great place to share your favorite finds, I'd just like to request that you be sure to summarize the music and include price. (Free, No Minimum and Paid. Paid should include the minimum price.) Try not to post too many.

One example:

Capture The Sun: Instrumental progressive metal in the vein of Between the Buried and Me. No Minimum.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're anything like me, you'll end up with several dozen band pages in your bookmarks because you can't possibly check them all out at once, then end up deleting them all and starting again every couple of months or so. It's a fun game.

But yup: shitfuckloads of chiptune awesomeness. Starting with this and thiiiiiis. Usually I prefer my electronic music without vocals but that second one there is ace.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
inv4der  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's some recommendations for me. Not posting this in the OP since that's an abuse of power.

If people want, I can add popular favorites to the OP as starting points. We'll see how the thread goes before that.

Capture The Sun: Instrumental progressive metal in the vein of Between the Buried and Me. No Minimum.

Cormorant: In the band's own words: "Cormorant play a unique form of progressive black metal, rooted in folk music and 70s hard rock." "Metazoa [as well as the EP The Last Tree] is available for whatever price you like, even FREE! Enjoy." (No Minimum, save for Dwellings.)

El Scar: Single man ambidjent based on the Evangelion anime. Normally instrumental, but an album and a single do have guest vocals. Despite the djenre there's little Meshuggah to it. (Don't let the djent or the anime stop you from grabbing this, it's good.) No Minimum for everything.

Disasterpeace: Chiptune, not all that much to say other than it's really good. Be sure to check out the linked album. No Minimum mostly.

Mizuki's Last Chance: Chipstep, the one form of dubstep that I can listen to and this guy does it really well. I'm not in any way a dubstep fan so hopefully it means something when I say both his EPs are really good. I think the chiptune sound helps it out a lot. No Minimum.

Surprise, You're Pregnant!: Experimental music from your very own infidels in #bannerhero. (I had to plug it, obviously.) Free.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
Disasterpeace: Chiptune, not all that much to say other than it's really good. Be sure to check out the linked album. No Minimum mostly.

All that dude's stuff is great, that album is particular. His soundtrack for Fez just went up for preorder. Way different than that album but fucking fantastic.

Here's some of my favorite stuff. Also keep in mind you can stream all this stuff before you buy.

A_Rival: Chiptune hip hop. Sounds crazy but totally works. That album is $3 but he's got a bunch of free stuff. Awesome live too.

Jake "virt" Kaufman: Chiptune/Electronic. Dude does the musics for Wayforward. the Might Switch Force soundtrack is particularly great. FX4 is an amazing chiptune album. Most of it is pay what you want.

The OneUps: Jazzy, funky video game covers. The best video game cover band. Full stop. They stripped down the band for the EP I linked. It's a bit more straight-forward their other stuff which had a lot more instruments, horns and sax and things like that. All of their stuff is great. The EP is $6.

Shnabubula: Chiptune + piano. This is one of my new favorites. This album takes a bunch of songs from NES games and mixes them with great piano. One of the coolest things I've listened to in a while. Pay what you want.

dats a lot a chiptune. I'm sure I'll think of more later.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:
But yup: shitfuckloads of chiptune awesomeness. Starting with this

Oh hell yes, Knife City. His new EP is absolutely fantastic.

Some contributions from me: Roboctopus (more chiptunes), Algernon Cadwallader (emo, a nice free sampler up on their bandcamp), Antics (somewhat post-rock band from Florida), Azureflux (electronic, house), Death Grips (Sacramento based experimental hip-hop, these guys are going places), Giraffes? Giraffes! (math rock, think I've said enough about these guys here already), goreshit (lolicore, dnb), Hightide Hotel (emo, downloads currently not available), I Am This Big Black Cloud (post-rock formed from G?G!), I Kill Giants (experimental math rock), Jack Sat On Us (pretentiocore), Powder! Go Away (Russian instrumental prog/post-rock), Protodome (chiptune-based jazz), Sunny Side Up (ska), Tearjerker (shoegaze), and Young Breezy and Ryles the Great (experimental folk, jazzgrind).

God, I've been doing too many sharethreads lately.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregoryZero wrote:
Sunny Side Up (ska)

FYI, this band has songs in RBN, for anyone who still plays rock band.
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main reason why I mentioned them. Not only is their music great, but their songs are also fun to play!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
So here's some recommendations for me. Not posting this in the OP since that's an abuse of power.

If people want, I can add popular favorites to the OP as starting points. We'll see how the thread goes before that.

Cormorant: In the band's own words: "Cormorant play a unique form of progressive black metal, rooted in folk music and 70s hard rock." "Metazoa [as well as the EP The Last Tree] is available for whatever price you like, even FREE! Enjoy." (No Minimum, save for Dwellings.)

I'm only familiar with these two inv4der mentioned and would recommend anyone to take a listen...also some others I've stumbled upon.

Sleepers' Guilt: "Melodic metal with a touch of Progressive." Also has nice Solo's and drumming. Not Free

Hammerforce: "Music of HAMMERFORCE consists of ... more mixture of traditional Power/Prog Metal, Techno/Electro/Trance synth sounds and some Modern Metal." This is one of my newest discoveries (I couldn't resist clicking on the awesome artwork, although their music sounds awesome too). No minimum.

I'm still relatively new to the site myself (been using it for about a month now) so I will check on this post for more suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: