ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
A website idea...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
InvadErGII  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: A website idea... Reply with quote

I love all that this site does...it's something I wouldn't ever thought of doing and it already does a ton. However, there's one thing that I'd really like to see that I can't seem to find a solution to do.

I'd love to see some sort of way to compare my 4-star scores with the 5-star cutoff point, in order to see how close I am to getting to 5 stars in a particular song. The ability to rank which songs are closest to this would be cool as well, though not nearly as important. The same could be done for 3-4 star cutoffs as well - it'd be a great way to help decide which songs to work on next and such. I'm somewhat familiar with coding a database, and I think this would be relatively simple to set up, but I don't know how you folks have this system configured. Anyways, that's all I got. Let me know what you think, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is that it is difficult to actually find all the cut off points even with the formula that has been figured out because the holds and chords make the number harder to determine. We don't have enough cut off points to do that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a couple months once we have the exact cut-off numbers then that will be possible.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working as hard as I can to figure this out. I now have all the tempo, time signature, and note data for every song available to me. My program can calculate within just 1 or 2 points the base_score (used to calculate the cutoffs) and the 100% score without using starpower.

The problem I'm facing is that my results are not always exact, the 1 to 2 point differences I'm assuming are due to the way the game handles rounding for held notes. I'm gathering data from the game and tracing the points gained after each note comparing to my predicted scores to determine where the issue is and exactly how the game rounds point values.

Once I get this figured out, all the cutoffs will be minutes away.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah! Nooooooooo! How will I ever earn cont. points, it's random enough as it is that some of my scores happen to fall in the cut-off range.
JCirri  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AskewedOne wrote:
Gah! Nooooooooo! How will I ever earn cont. points, it's random enough as it is that some of my scores happen to fall in the cut-off range.

Hehe, don't worry. Once I calculate the cutoffs, I will still need them to be proven before I can derive ratings from scores. Then I'll have to think of something else to keep the contribution system going (anyone got an idea?).

Anyways, I think I've figured out that my 1 to 2 point variations from the actual results are due to tempo changes... It seems that if a songs slows down or speeds up in the middle of a hold you still earn points at the rate of the tempo when the hold began. And there are many many very slight tempo changes throughout the songs that you would never notice playing it. So this complicates things quite a bit, but soon I should have it working.

EDIT: It's not the tempo changes.. why can't I figure this out?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew... at least I don't need to make an empty threat on your life and stage a personal boycott of your fine site... (Like I ever would in the first place, but, still, let me live the illusion...)
blah  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe what would make more sense than hunting down the cut offs would be defining the base score of every single held note in the game. I'd be willing to bet that by the time we are half way through just expert mode, it would be clear what is causing the odd values of some held notes. I'm sure there must be some trend.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blah wrote:
Well, maybe what would make more sense than hunting down the cut offs would be defining the base score of every single held note in the game. I'd be willing to bet that by the time we are half way through just expert mode, it would be clear what is causing the odd values of some held notes. I'm sure there must be some trend.

This is exactly what I've been doing. There are several holds in Sedated (xpt) that are all exactly the same length (3/4 of a beat), this means their hold points should be (3/4)*(25) = 18.75. In the game all of them give 19 hold points except the last one which gives 20.. but its duration is absolutely identical to the others. So it must round hold points based on beat/measure boundaries. Still working on it..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd like more help with finding all the values, send me a PM and let me know what to work on. I'd love to help.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now I know what my problem was with the hold point calculations. I was allowing a held chord to give an odd number of points (i.e. (held chord for 3.5 beats)*(50 pts/beat) = 175 pts). But since the game increments your score throughout the held chord by 2 pts everytime, an odd number of points is impossible.

It seems most of the time the game will round up to the nearest even integer (so in the example above you'd get 176 pts). But there are times when it rounds down (i.e. 174 pts instead). After analyzing much data, there doesn't seem to be any pattern regarding when it rounds up and down. But each note always gives the points everytime, so it's not totally random. I must figure this out..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: