ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
League Rules for use of ghevents / quick ghevents FAQ

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barfo  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: League Rules for use of ghevents / quick ghevents FAQ Reply with quote

Since we have moved off of ghevents to a very spiffy new integrated into SH system for running the leagues, this thread is no longer needed. Therefore, lock and de-sticky.

This FAQ is to serve as both a quick guide for using ghevents in the scorehero competitive leagues, as well as a compendium of important rules and responsibilities that you must know in regards to ghevents and the leagues. Everyone in the league should read it in its entirety at least once (particularly the last two questions which deal with who is responsible for score typos), and people who still have questions should feel free to ask them in this thread.

General / How to get started:

How do I get to ghevents?
www.ghevents.net , in your browser of choice

Okay I got to ghevents how do I register an account so I can start entering scores?
On the login page that comes up when you go to ghevents, you want to click “Register” and fill out the info needed. Your account name for the ghevents should be exactly the same as your scorehero account, if for some reason that account is taken let us know and we will figure it out (spoofing other users is a serious offense and we have an IP log and would forward the info to JC to take whatever action he and the mods deemed appropriate). Also, our results charting software doesn’t like names over 16 characters so you might see it truncate if you are somebody with a ridiculously long screename.

Signups Related:

Okay I made an account, but there’s all these events listed how do I know which one to sign up to so I can start entering scores?
Each event that you see on the main page (once you are logged in) corresponds to a division of the league (ex: AAA-2, or OB, or Xbox Hard -3). For Season 6, in order to be in the league you must be signed up in the roster for that division on the league forums on scorehero. So first off make sure you are on the roster for that league, and then it is as simple as finding the correct division for yourself and clicking the “Sign Up” button to the left of that division in the row. For Season 7 and onwards we may shift the signups to happening directly through ghevents, but for now in order to be considered a ‘valid’ signup in ghevents, you must also show up on the rosters in the forums.

Okay I am on the roster for a league, and I clicked signup, but the field is colored blue and marked ‘pending’, should I be worried? Can I enter scores?
All of the leagues are marked as approval only leagues, which means that when you click signup your entry goes into blue “pending” status and into a queue for the commissioner to check and confirm that yes you are actually supposed to be in that league. So if you are on the roster, you can rest assured that eventually you will be confirmed, the commishes usually check the pending queue about once per day. The good news is that while in Pending status, you can enter and edit your scores as normal, and when you get confirmed for the league (green), those scores will be already in the database. So if it is right before the deadline and you are just signing up, enter all your scores in and the admin will confirm you and those scores should count

I made a valid signup for a league for which I am supposed to be in, but my signup got marked as denied, how can I fix that?
You need to PM (on the scorehero forums) the commish for your league/division and state your problem and politely make your case. Be aware though that while we do make errors sometimes, many times people think that they are supposed to be in a league but in fact they aren’t. Keep in mind that after week 1, the league signups are locked, and the only people who are on the week 2 roster in the leagues are people who signed up in the official signup threads AND who sent in a score for week 1. Also note that in some rare cases the commishes might bump you to a different league so check that you aren’t actually in a new league and that’s why your application is denied. If you think some special exception should be made for you to this rule you can feel free to make your case, but realize that such a situation is very rare and such a decisions rests entirely in the judgment of the commish of that league.

I entered scores for week 1 and im on the week 2 roster, but I cant find anywhere to enter my songs for week 2?
I heard that for my division I was going to have to re-sign up for my league for week 2. Why and how do I do that?

For some very large leagues (ex PS2 Expert), we take a very large number of scores in the first week, and then split the league into individual divisions. Since each division needs its own event, that means that we need to create new events and people unfortunately need to sign up again. Thus after the first week, the ‘Season 6 Expert Week 1 Only’ event (or any other event that got divided into individual divisions) is obsolete and should not be used. Find the event for your exact division and click sign-up for it again. Eventually, we hope to have the ability for the commishes to just automatically pre-populate these week 2 divisions to save both you and us time, but the tools are not there yet.

Score Entry:

Okay I registered and account, signed up for the right division and im confirmed (or im pending but im certain im in the right place), am I finally please all set to enter scores now, and how do I do it?
Yes You Can (cue whistle solo). What you do is for any league for which you are pending (blue) or confirmed (green) click on the ‘Scores’ link and it will take you to a page to do this. Make sure not to click on the ‘remove signup’ button which is right above it as that will remove you from the league as well as delete whatever record of the scores you had already entered. Now there should be a drop down list and you click that and select from among the active rounds which you want to enter scores for (for leagues format there will be only one active round, the current week). This will pop up a page with the four songs for that week along with three fields each song for score, %, and note streak. Now you enter a score for each field (all fields are required, so if you only wish to enter some scores and will get the other scores later leave songs you haven’t done yet with three zeroes), and you have to click the ‘Submit Scores’ button to enter them into the system. If you do not do this, if you just type in your scores and hit ‘return to main menu’ or move your browser to some other website or whatever, your scores will not be recorded. If there is some format error in your scores it will pop up a red asterisk and a error message and also in this case none of scores will be recorded until you fix the issue with that field (or fields). See the fourth question in this section for more details on the errors. If you are not sure if your scores went in or not check out the next question..

Something weird happened when I entered my scores, or everything seemed normal but I suffer from chronic anxiety disorder and im worried something went wrong, how can I check to see if the system got my scores
There’s a simple way to test this. Go back to the main menu after entering your scores and then click ‘scores’ again as if to edit/re-enter your scores. When you select the round again and it pops up the list of songs and the fields to enter them, it will populate that list with the current data that it has on record for you. So whatever you see there, that is what the system has on file for you, and you can if there is an error correct it (and remember to hit ‘submit scores’ again). If you still aren’t satisfied your data is there even when you aren’t checking it (cognitive scientists call this principle object permanence and most humans develop it between the ages of 18 months and 3 years) do the same procedure but also log off ghevents completely, close your browser, shut down your computer and power it off at the switch, exit your house and lock the door behind you and go for a drive around town, then later in the day come back, log on and check that your scores are still there.

Can I edit my scores multiple times during the week as I get better scores, or should I do it the old way?
Participants are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to enter scores whenever is convenient for them and to keep editing them as they get scores that are better during the week. Even the commishes are aware than the old system (of collecting up all your scores until right before the deadline and then sending off the best ones in one batch right before the deadline) kind of sucked, and we only had to use that because getting tons of PMs from everybody would just be too impossible to deal with and too much work. But the computer doesn’t mind and will happily edit and re-edit your scores all the way up until the deadline. So everybody is free from the tyranny of having some okay scores but going away for a while and not being sure if they will get back to GH, and then trying to figure out should I submit these now, or wait until right before the deadline and send them off then, and then forgetting and missing completely. Now you can enter whatever you have and if you get more time in the week, then great add them in and if not (or if you cant get back to your computer) those early scores will be the ones that will get scored so you at least get some points.

What data is required for a valid score? What are some common errors that might make ghevents not take my scores?
A valid score must have all three fields (score, percent notes hit, longest note streak) completed. That’s one reason why you must have something in each of the fields for the ghevents to accept your score. Note that ghevents can be ‘fooled’ by entering zeroes, which is useful for songs you haven’t started yet that you intend to get to later in the week, but if you enter a score followed by a zero for % and note streak even though ghevents will take it your commish will manually disallow that score and count it as a non-submit (0 points). Fir each field, the entry must be an integer greater than zero, and percent also has the additional requirement that it must be 100 or less. Scores with a comma are not currently supported (so enter ‘133337’ rather than ’133,337’), and leave off the percent sign (so ‘98’ rather than ‘98%’). And it goes without saying you cannot enter any words into the fields.

I failed the song, if I cant enter any words into the fields how can I let you know my % failed at so I can at least get some points?
Hopefully eventually we will let the score field handle one specific text string to denote this, but right now there is an interim workaround. For failed scores, enter 0 for score and note streak and enter the highest percent you failed at (as reported on the failure screen) for percent. If we see data in that format we will know what you mean and treat it in the normal way (you get sorted to the bottom and get at least a few points).

I wet to go enter scores for this week, but I can’t find the round in the drop down menu
There’s basically two standard ways this can happen: (1) it’s the start of the week and the songs for this week just went up and the commish has not had a chance to create a new round in ghevents or (2) it’s the end of the week and the deadline has passed and you cant select the round because whatever scores or score edits you want to make are LATE and will not be accepted. If its case (1), then relax and just play the scores and write them down (you’ve got all week to enter them), we will always try to have the round created by the end of the day Sunday, so if its already Monday or later maybe drop a post into the relevant forum thread and any of the commishes who see it might pick up the slack for whatever lazy commissioner hadn’t made it yet (no posts before Monday though). If its case (2) then there is no problem the system is working perfectly. Particularly because the system is so flexible and you can enter and edit scores any number of times during the week, there are going to be no exceptions for late scores because there really are no valid excuses for late scores. When the deadline hits (Saturday night at 9:00 PM pacific / 12 midnight eastern time), the ability to enter or edit existing scores vanishes and the database for that week is effectively frozen. So if you want to be safe (because it operates off whatever the clock is set to on the server where wuLFe has this stuff hosted) you should always probably be trying to get your scores in at least 10-20 minutes before the deadline, you can always play one or two more plays and run over to the comp and try and get onto ghevents at 11:59 to make that last second edit.

Results
I went to go check the results for a round that passed, but when I click on results it doesn’t seem to be displaying any rounds
The leagues will not be using the ghevents results display. All results are done in the threads on the scorehero forums in the usual way. There’s multiple reasons for this including that the complex league point system just isn’t coded into ghevents yet, that the commishes like to be able to manually go over results before releasing them, and several others.

I saw the results today, and I realize I made a typo in my score and it is too low, can you change that too the correct score so I can get more points?
Since everybody can freely view the scores they entered and since there no longer is a component where the commish is typing in scores, if there is a typo on your score there is a 99% chance its your fault and you are 100% responsible for correcting it before scores go up. So everybody is responsible for making sure their scores in ghevents are the correct ones before the deadline goes by, so as a rule we will not be adjusting any scores up based on typos that you made. The reason for this is that there are serious fairness and ethical issues with allowing people to tell us what their score should be after having seen all the results (which should be obvious to everyone, and im not going to spell out because anybody its not obvious to I don’t want to give them any ideas). However if you feel certain that you fall into the 1% of people where the typo / lost score is somehow our fault and our investigation will show that (if a score gets garbled by my sheets, it should still exist in original form in the ghevents db) or otherwise think that you can prove what your correct score was supposed to be you can PM the commish for your division and make your case, but be aware that it’s a steep burned of proof and its completely up to the judgment of that commish how to proceed.

I saw the results today, and I realize I made a typo in my score and it is too high, can you change that to the correct score because I don’t you to think that I faked the score?
As above you ultimately are responsible for making sure that you have no typos in what you submit to ghevents, and for the consequences of any typos. With scores that are typoed too high its even more important because a typo too high is essentially a “faked score” (even though if you can reasonably demonstrate that it’s a typo obviously you aren’t going to trigger the same sort of response necessarily as a score that we believe is a conscious attempt to cheat). Basically the same sort of principle applies as submitting scores into scorehero, a small typo on note streak for an FC (such as typing 843 instead of 834) is not a big deal, a typo that creates an “obviously fake” score will probably either be caught before results are posted and you might get a PM asking you for the proper score, or will be taken down and counted as a zero after the fact, whereas if you turn in 999,999 with 100% and 789 note streak for all four songs one week, then just like on scorehero you are going to be met with a swift ban and never asked back, and claiming it’s a typo wont help. The takeaway is that its unlikely that an innocent typo is going to land you in hot water, but if you notice any typo in your scores you should point it out (PM is often preferred) to your commish and we will correct that score to either the proper one or a zero (depending on our judgment for the same reason that we don’t want people telling us their scores after looking over all the results in the case above). Seeing a improper score of yours and not getting it corrected because you don’t want to lose ‘points’ is not as bad a crime as intentionally submitting a score you know to be fake for purposes of a good standing, but is still a fake score that you are responsible for alerting us so we can fix it.

Last edited by Barfo on Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:04 am; edited 2 times in total
TarLaPaN  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool
Overcome TtFaF [x...jk]
5* Hard [KoC]
100 PFO Wins [68 so far]
muna  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice guide. These questions have been asked hundreds of times already. Lets see if this can stop them.

Last edited by muna on Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
M002  

Location: Westhampton, Suffolk County, Long Island, NY, U.S.A. Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe 1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that took forever to read, but got it, some of those problems happened to me in week one, glad thats its cleared up now, and I was right about the RE-Signing for Xbox Hard
I wonder how long that took to write lol.... there were some spelling mistakes in there

And Muna, my week 1 scores weren't posted either because I messed up on ghevents, something tells me it won't show up for you, sorry bud, you'll have to take a bye, but cheer up, work harder and you'll still make the play offs

Yeah, I don't think it ever worked |
\/
I think it was just supposed to remember that you're logged on in this computer, I just type in M and it remembers me and I click sign in after remember me next time

Last edited by M002 on Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Sir-ihlatrebon  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place, but the "remember me" feature of the ghevents.net site doesn't appear to be working.
jtownwhiteboy92  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idk if this is right place to put this but, can someone check out aa score submitions on ghevents,i cant put my new scores in, and i DESPIRATELY need to

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I post my scores in GH3 - Season 7 - Expert Leagues Week 1 or do i switch over to GH3 - Season 7 - Expert League AAA-1?

Proud - If you are a , put this in your sig. Let's see how many are on ScoreHero!
Backspace  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skwisgaar wrote:
Do I post my scores in GH3 - Season 7 - Expert Leagues Week 1 or do i switch over to GH3 - Season 7 - Expert League AAA-1?

Seeing as only one of them allows you to submit scores (AAA-1) I'd go with that one.
cdylan13  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you not post your scores in Week 2?

You go to the league in which you were assigned, so AAA-1 in your case.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
Skwisgaar  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks \m/

Proud - If you are a , put this in your sig. Let's see how many are on ScoreHero!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: